PDA

View Full Version : DDS Texture Tool

PSYCHO V
10-12-2004, 03:33
Have question:

The DDS texture tool linked by Duke John mentions a Nvidia plugin for Photoshop. Excuse my ignorance but is this only appropriate for Nvidia cards / will this work for my ATI Raedon 9800 128MB?

Cheers

Duke John
10-12-2004, 05:37
That works, I have an ATI Radeon 9200. I think it's just software and not so much of a driver. It lets you use DDS files with PSP or PS that is all.

PSYCHO V
10-12-2004, 05:52
Ok.

Thanks again Duke John

giskard
10-12-2004, 19:12
Here is the link to the entire DDS page over at Nvida.
I didnt see Johns post so sorry if im repeating the link.

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nv_texture_tools.html

I recommend downloading the thumbnail viewer for windows too since it makes it easier to view the existing files. To use it just browse to folder selecting DDS images after installing it and go to the view menu in your XP window and select thumbnails. Windows will now show all DDS textures as thumbnails.

DDS will create mip maps automatically for any image you create if you tell it too, mip maps are used for detail settings so if a user is not running the game at full detail then the lower detailed mipmap (copy of your texture) will be used.

Please note that I have seen models appear pure white in some games when the texture size was wrong or the mip maps where not included in the texture file. Some Graphics cards such as the Radeon range seem to handle them old where as some early nvida cards do not. So even if it works on your card you will have to test your textures to be sure it works on everybody elses card.

Giskard