PDA

View Full Version : is there a financial mod?

thebigcheese
10-12-2004, 22:58
has anyone made a financial mod yet?

making troops more expensive, and upkeep more too.this would make armies rare as they should be and keep the game more of a skirmish/outpost attacks kind of game and the huge battles being a once every ten years kind of event, seems the game has you roving around with huge armies far too easily and unrealistic

make bribery alot more expensive, it seems to dominate the game once you have capital and you can bribe your way through, it becomes less challenging because of this, settlements earning less might be a good idea too.

Boohugh
10-14-2004, 15:17
I don't know about making armies more expensive, but you can certainly reduce the amount of money flowing around. If you go to the campaign file (located in something like data,maps,world, ,can't remember if this is the exact location) called Imperial Campaign, you can edit things like starting money for all factions, but more importantly, the value of trade goods.

If you reduce the value of trade, that will significantly reduce the amount of money available, and so limit armies. I'm sure there are other ways, this is just one.

And finally, as always, create a back-up of any files you edit in case things go wrong.

edit: typo

thebigcheese
10-14-2004, 17:32
I've done the trade reduction, it works well, I also raised unit upkeep by 20% for infantary/missile 40% for cavalry/animals (it was way too low).

Ships I have increased cost and upkeep by 60%, so now there are not huge navies floating around everywhere.

its a struggle to become rich, you have to watch how many units you have ,I got into arrears a few times, I like the game alot more this way, also fielding huge armies is not so simple anymore, for you or your enemies, alot of battles are small scale skirmishes but just as important.

you have to strip regions of soldiers to get a big force together, just as it was at the time.

oh I am playing with huge units too.

the game is more challenging now.

anyone know how to make bribing less easy?

thebigcheese
10-14-2004, 22:47
Hmmm I've got to that mid level of the game where I am raking it in again, even with my mod its getting easy again.

is there an upkeep cost to buildings that can be raised, to make later buildings more expensive?

MTW had that if my memory serves me.

japinard
10-21-2004, 03:44
bigcheese - no upkeep cost on buildings. Question for you:

Didn't you find the AI hurt itself when you increased the cost of ships? It seems the AI will want to build them anyways and forfeit land armies in favor of naval vessels.

thebigcheese
10-21-2004, 10:35
bigcheese - no upkeep cost on buildings. Question for you:

Didn't you find the AI hurt itself when you increased the cost of ships? It seems the AI will want to build them anyways and forfeit land armies in favor of naval vessels.

I ended up lessening the trade value of items by one point, lowering the farm values by one point, highering land/naval unit costs and upkeep by 20%.

makes for an interesting game, very hard to bribe till later in the game, you are too busy balancing your economy to spare the cash for such luxeries, it affects all other nations too.

I also improved the cartheginians slightly as the seem beaten far to easily by the AI Scipii, considering the cartheginian wars lasted 100 years.

trouble is though, my game is so heavily modded I cant really share this for others to try :S

japinard
10-21-2004, 11:00
Hehe, I know what you mean. I have doen a ton of edits, and am going back through my files and writing general notes in them in uncommented sections.

You didn't answer my boating question however :)

For arguments sake, if the only thing you edited was the ship costs, do you thuink it's make the land value of the game less competetive? ie. would the AI still try and make the same # of boats?

thebigcheese
10-21-2004, 12:08
Hehe, I know what you mean. I have doen a ton of edits, and am going back through my files and writing general notes in them in uncommented sections.

You didn't answer my boating question however :)

For arguments sake, if the only thing you edited was the ship costs, do you thuink it's make the land value of the game less competetive? ie. would the AI still try and make the same # of boats?

when I doubled the price and upkeep of boats there was alot less, the AI seemed to have normal sized armies.

I found it better to edit the world campaign files so that no nation was 'naval' based

I edited the

Rome - Total War\Data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign\descr_strat

file

notice that the AI is alterable

eg:

faction romans_julii, fortified caesar

to

faction romans_julii, religious mao

this affects the chosen empires AI on the strategy map.