PDA

View Full Version : Poll on running speed

CBR
10-13-2004, 00:35
Just interested in knowing what people think..

CBR

FearZeus
10-13-2004, 01:27
horrible, nuff said!

Dionysus9
10-13-2004, 03:19
I understand that the horses wear barding, and that armored riders wiegh a lot, but a legionaire simply should not be able to keep up with a horse that is cantering let alone at full gallop or charge.

It just looks silly for the cavalry to cover so much ground in such a short time, and then a split second later the infantry shows up too?

Wolf__Kyolic
10-13-2004, 03:59
My vote would be "it is horrible" if I was allowed to vote.

spacecadet
10-13-2004, 17:50
Compared to MTW Rome is faster but is it faster at all than shogun was?
At the moment the increase in speed from MTW is made so much more difficult to handle because of the new less intuitive and less functional (to me at least) controls. If the controls were more or less the same as in the last 2 games, im not sure the speed would even be a factor to me.

CBR
10-13-2004, 17:52
Kyolic:

I found out that Junior Patrons cant vote in polls and unfortunately that wont be changed.

spacecadet:

Hm maybe I should increase run speed by 50% for all units in MTW and see how that works heh. Old STW was slightly slower than MTW. I think MI brought some changes to the netcode and was faster.

CBR

Chimpyang
10-13-2004, 17:59
I was playing a 1v1 vs Monk yesterday and the way my Men just ran aorund the back, it looked like they were gliding......so horrible it is then...but maybe a lil bit more spped for phalanxes?

d6veteran
10-13-2004, 18:26
I was initially annoyed by the movement speeds but have grown to love them. I think it brings more excitement to the battles. And it is different from MTW and STW ... which frankly were lots of fun but I'm ready for a change.

AMP
10-13-2004, 20:31
it's not much fun when im playing sp and i have to speed up the game and wait while my cav dose a half circle or more around a town trying to catch a missile unit or around the corners of the map.

wish they had 3 speeds and not just two. need march, quick march and running. exhausted units should only march and very tired only quick march.

also wish units couldn't skirmish so long. in stw units would auto rout, but i'd rather have them just turn around and fight after a small distance.

Shahed
10-13-2004, 20:53
Foot soldiers run too fast, obviously.

Colovion
10-13-2004, 22:07
It's acceptable for some troops, but others it's just crazy with their full armour and everything. This also goes for the horses - the Light Cav are somewhat believable with their speed - but the Heavies are nuts. I wouldn't mind leaving everythign but the Armoured troops the same for movement rates. If the light troops get to the enemy really quickly they'll just die faster because of the lack of heavy support (or that's how it would be).

CBR
10-14-2004, 05:21
And I'll apologise if some people think "horrible" is too strong a word. That is just my own opinion.

CBR

Puzz3D
10-14-2004, 16:27
Foot soldiers run too fast, obviously.

The question in my mind is why are they running this fast? It's not a mistake. This was designed to be this way for a reason. CA reviewed the running speeds after I complained about them at .com, and posted after reviewing them that it wasn't a problem. CA wants the speeds as they are, but hasn't said why. This is the way the game is going to be. It isn't going to change.

Orda Khan
10-14-2004, 17:01
This is the way the game is going to be. It isn't going to change.

...Then it is up to us, the Multiplayer community to do it ourselves! I don't think the poll is going to alter dramatically so it is obvious to me ( never was in doubt really ) that the majority of veterans ( for want of a better word because too many people misguidedly confuse this word with elitism ) are not happy with unit speed and/or killrate.
I am currently using both Mods to run a SP campaign. Without going into fine detail and extensive testing of unit stats, I can say that IMO it plays far better than vanilla RTW.
You have no need to apologise for your terminology CBR, as far as I'm concerned. I would have used words like pathetic, useless or flawed. With units behaving as they do the game has steered even further away from realism. Realism being a word I choose to describe online battles as actually resembling a battle. The TV series Time Commanders must have lured some to buy RTW but I fear clever editing and close up snapshots disguised the glaring faults that would render the online experience a disappointing mess. I also feel and posted such, that it is a futile, pointless exercise petitioning CA with anything relating to these speeds because they have said they are happy with them. So I repeat, if we are to salvage anything from this mess we will have to come together as a community, work out what is best and simply mod out the rubbish and for the first time I feel confident in saying there will be a huge response to a community mod

........Orda

Puzz3D
10-14-2004, 17:38
...Then it is up to us, the Multiplayer community to do it ourselves!

I wonder if the players who are disaffected with RTW would be interested in playing an MTW mod such as barocca's STWmod for MTW? It's a full graphic conversion, and captures the gameplay of original STW remarkably well. It needs some minor adjustments, and I think guns can be fixed to work like they did in original STW.

Shahed
10-14-2004, 18:06
The question in my mind is why are they running this fast? It's not a mistake. This was designed to be this way for a reason. CA reviewed the running speeds after I complained about them at .com, and posted after reviewing them that it wasn't a problem. CA wants the speeds as they are, but hasn't said why. This is the way the game is going to be. It isn't going to change.

Allright.

Thanks for letting me know about the .com discussion.
I was not aware of that.

But any way you look at it, the run speeds are incredible. It's that fast for gameplay, that's all. If we want it more "realistic" then we'll have to push for another review, or mod it ourselves.

UglyandHasty
10-14-2004, 18:10
I voted horrible. I am playing a SP campaign with kill and speed mod, and it give a much better feel of the game imo.

Colovion
10-14-2004, 21:36
Watch, in a year there will be more people playing online with the EB mod than playing the Vanilla way.

Wolf__Kyolic
10-15-2004, 17:48
Usually my cavs can't catch archers.

It is horrible!!!

Nigel
10-17-2004, 11:01
I voted for the 3rd option. Never mind if you want to call it "horrible" or a stronger or less strong name - it just means that the speed is too fast as it is. And that is probably both killing and movement speed.

If indeed CA are determined not to review the speeds again, for a patch or perhaps the expansion, then we should put our effort into making a mod of our own, that gets widely accepted in the community. I for one am willing to help support and spread such a mod.

Hashishin
10-31-2004, 00:18
Welll i think it is said here that some unit speed are ok and some really bad.
I wouldnt say unit speed is horrible but when cav cant catch archers there is somethink wrong.

Anyway I like some changes Rome brought but there are too many i dislike.

King Yngvar
10-31-2004, 03:00
It is totally fine, and so are the new controls...

AMP
10-31-2004, 17:49
I voted for the 3rd option. Never mind if you want to call it "horrible" or a stronger or less strong name - it just means that the speed is too fast as it is. And that is probably both killing and movement speed.
that's what i think.. i voted 3rd option as well.

It is totally fine, and so are the new controls
you have to be kidding

ElmarkOFear
10-31-2004, 21:51
I think the speed is fine . . . . . .

The speed in which I returned my game to EB and the speed in which they bought it back from me for less than half what I paid for it, was amazingly close to what it should have been. :charge: ~:cheers:

Lonewarrior
11-01-2004, 03:16
Is not that bad, but still horrible. To bad I made a mistake and voted for the first one, don't I whish I had 2 votes. ~D

1dread1lahll
11-01-2004, 05:40
Ok I said horrible, but...... not enough choices....love it hate it or ok is a bit of a simplification I think......If they reduced the running speed of skermishers/non phal inf....that would be best,... also I see that the "hard core" people that ive seen online over the last 5 years voted horrible, and new? people (names ive never seen) say its ok.....(that should tell you somthing) cav move at a good speed for me, as do pikes, its the archers that run like olympic sprinters that is badly out of wack, also regular inf run at this same 'olympic' speed. Also, the rate that kills are made is too fast. I know its been said but 'friendly fire' kills are also out of wack. In one game I stomped my opponent getting well over 1400 kills where as he got only 200, subtracting his kills from my losses I suffered 250+ losses to my own archers....I lost more men to my own archers than to my opponent!!

Oswald
11-28-2004, 14:20
I am going with horrible.

Game speed is too fast AND relative speeds of units feels all wrong.

In Os opinion if heavy inf move at speed 1 then skirmishers should be roughly 2 and cav should be roughly 4.

If their is enough ground swell perhaps we could amend petition, after all we did note in final paragraphs that we were pretty sure it is incomplete...

KyodaiSteeleye
11-28-2004, 16:44
not a very helpful poll, as its the skirmisher infantry speeds which are most silly, so more options would have been better.

buujin
12-02-2004, 14:46
I have no problem with the overall game speed.

Like many otheres have said its skirmishing units that bother me, infact, its such a huge flaw that my whole clan refuse to play rtw online because of it.

CA pleaasee do the whole world a favour and rectify this in the next patch, you have no idea how many people would be grateful for it.