PDA

View Full Version : where to find data\UI folder?

scsscsfanfan
10-13-2004, 00:46
I have been trying to creat new units according the guides. however, I can't find the folder as adviced on the board: data\UI.
my game runs ok. dose this mean there was something wrong with the instalation.
I've also noticed the "gray peasents" unit cards in some situations when you make one faction's unit to be avaliable to a different faction, someone on the board metioned this is a well known problem. I'm wondering has this anything to do with the missing UI folder problem?
Could someone help me please?

Duke John
10-13-2004, 07:49
This is a quote from the guide:

I have made for a new unit all the above files (in newly created directories).

scsscsfanfan
10-13-2004, 12:19
Thank Duke.
I've read your post, but I just can not find the folder named UI under the "data" directory. dose this mean I have to re install it again? or I'm missing something here.
thanks for help anyway.

Duke John
10-13-2004, 12:20
No, I thought the hint was clear enough :grin: You need to create yourself the directory/folder "ui" in data.

scsscsfanfan
10-14-2004, 00:45
:bow: Ha! I didn't think would be that simple! thanks. I'll try again.

scsscsfanfan
10-14-2004, 00:57
~:) more questions,
Qiout: from TW.com, how to add units to a faction:
After constant fiddling with this, I found a way of adding actual new units (although I don't think I'm the first one to do so).

First, the export_descr_units.txt file. The easiest thing to do is figure out which kind of unit you want it to be, and copy the data for a similar existing unit. Rename it to what you like, and change the dictionary name (let's call this one Bob).

Next, go into the export_descr_unit_enums.txt and add the three bits on the end for bob:
Bob
Bob_descr
Bob_descr_short

Third, go into the text folder, and open export_units.txt. At the bottom, put the description for each of the three items above:
{Bob} Bob
{Bob_descr}
This is the long description of the unit in-game
{Bob_descr_short}
This is the short description... duh.

You probably want to be able to actually use them in the game, so the next part is to add a unit card and an info picture. Create (or go to) the folder data\UI\UNIT INFO\Faction Name, and add a tga image (dim: 160 x 210), with the name of your unit tag followed by _INFO:
Bob_INFO.tga
Go to data\UI\UNITS\Faction Name, and add a card image (dim: 44 X 64) with a # sign and then your unit name:
#Bob.tga

This should allow you to use the unit in custom battles with the faction you specified in the descr_unit file.

To add them to the campaign:
Go to export_descr_buildings.txt. Under the building type of your choice, enter something like:
recruit "Bob" 0 requires factions { roman, }

Create (or go to) the folder data\UI\units\construction, and add an image (dim: 42 X 56) with a # sign and then your unit name:
#Bob.tga

now, where can I find those supplied/ existing tga files for the unit cards?

thanks again