PDA

View Full Version : BKB's new map

The Blind King of Bohemia
10-13-2004, 10:39
Thank you! After small problems it seems to be easy as hell so I'm going off to add a ton more! Ignore the name of the settlement in Caledonia BTW - its just a temporary thing.

Caledonia (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=217214)

Ranika
10-13-2004, 11:21
How many divisions could be made to Britain then? Without, you know, them being so tiny it's pointless. I'd like to remove the Britons from the mainland, but give them plenty of provinces to resist the Romans in. At least Domnonia and Caledonia. And maybe split Hibernia in two.

Aside from that, plenty of new divisions in the Middle East would be nice. Anyone have any solid modding plans for the map? New territories and such to add to it?

10-13-2004, 11:32
I think I'm just gonna do a Super Mod kind of thing and just add as many as possible where needed. It will depend on whether or not adding factions becomes a possibility. It looks like you can infact have 253, which is a startling amount, and surely more than anybody could need. I need a solid map first with provincial names - I'm sure I have one somewhere. I've added Corsica and Sweden also, but I need to find settlement and provincial names at some point.

Meneldil
10-13-2004, 13:59
I'm sure France could get some more provinces too ;-P

Ranika
10-13-2004, 14:01
With that many provinces possible, everyone could be pleased with one large map mod. Any divisions requested, within reason, would easily be possible. I've been looking from a provinicial Roman map, but they're all more vague than the map in the game, always showing broad areas, like all of Hispania.

Meneldil
10-13-2004, 14:04
I was joking about France (oddly, there should have been a smiley in my last post, but it looks like I can't add smileys right now ^_^). Sure, all the map could get more provinces, but since I'm french I had to say something like that :P

10-13-2004, 14:14
Rest assured, I'll be dividing France along with every other area on the map. ~:cheers:

Ranika
10-13-2004, 14:18
Please add La Tene, while you're at it, then. It's a big pity it was left out.

ShadesPanther
10-13-2004, 16:17
Maybeyou could make greece into mostly all the city states (well most of them ~:) )

Silver Rusher
10-13-2004, 17:02
I think I'm just gonna do a Super Mod kind of thing and just add as many as possible where needed.
Woo Hoo!
A good super mod to spice up the game is always very welcome, I say! ~:cheers:

I too am very annoyed at the way the North was cut off. I know Scandinavia wasn't particularly significant in those times, but Scotland was (when I got the game, I thought 'hey, it'd be cool to have a kind of Hadrian's Wall kind of thing going, just made up of loads and loads of forts all along where it was historically' but since there's no Scotland, I never got to do that :embarassed:

With scotland though, maybe you should make the Picts rebels (or maybe even a whole new faction!) and make them really really strong so that they do still present a challenge that they would have historically presented.

Londinium
10-13-2004, 17:16
Nice work BKB , could you possibly post a guide on how to do it? I a newb modder, that made his first texture last night and I am moving into other things to develop my skills.

And congrats on your mods appearance in PC Gamer UK ~:cheers: , I know it's a bit late but I've only just regged here, I spend most of my time at the center.

VikingHorde
10-13-2004, 17:46
253 provinces! a new medieval mod with 253 provinces could be cool. It would be nice if more than 30 factions could be added (or 30 as a minimum).

Meneldil
10-13-2004, 18:16
/me wants a Super mod with 253 provinces and way more than 30 factions :-P

Stormy
10-13-2004, 18:23
"Meneldil /me wants a Super mod with 253 provinces and way more than 30 factions :-P"

HAHA ~D sounds good..

Nice work BKB...nice work indeed.

zarkis
10-13-2004, 18:53
Very nice! ~:cheers: Did you figure out how to make roads and trade routes too? Or are they auto-generated?

khelvan
10-13-2004, 19:31
BKB, would you be able to provide a few tips on how to do this? I would much appreciate it, it would help other mod efforts as well.

Cheers,

-khel

10-13-2004, 19:44
I will post a guide tomorrow.

And congrats on your mods appearance in PC Gamer UK , I know it's a bit late but I've only just regged here, I spend most of my time at the center.

Thank you! I just bought the mag today and was stoked! And congratulations to everyone else who made it!

More provinces have been added, including Corsica and modern Sweden. The names aren't accurate for everything, they'll be changed in due course. Now if only someone found out how to add factions....

'Sweden' (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=217250)

Darkmoor_Dragon
10-13-2004, 19:52
How many divisions could be made to Britain then? Without, you know, them being so tiny it's pointless. I'd like to remove the Britons from the mainland, but give them plenty of provinces to resist the Romans in. At least Domnonia and Caledonia. And maybe split Hibernia in two.

Aside from that, plenty of new divisions in the Middle East would be nice. Anyone have any solid modding plans for the map? New territories and such to add to it?

about 7 or 8 imo:

I would break Britain (mainland) down into 7 provinces

1) Catuvellauni with Londinium as the town (or rename it Lugh for celtic style name)

2) In the south-west Dumnonii with Isca as its capitol

3) east midlands Iceni with Venta as capitol

4) westmids and wales - Cornovii with Viriconium (Wroxeter) as Capital

5) north-east up to hads wall - Brigantes with Isurium Brignatum as capital (Aldorough)

6) North-west - Cumbria (Carvetii) with Ravenglass (Glannoventa ) as captial

7) (northof the walls) Caledonia with Calgaci as Capital

- - -

If you want a druidic capital then add region Ynys Mon (anglesey, Mona) with Ty-Mawr as capital

- - -

Ynys Mon, Cornovii, dumnonii and catevulaunii would be "british" with remainder "rebels"

- - -

Its not acurate (there are far more provinces) but it would be better than what is there atm and not so many that they are pointlessly small.

- - - -

Looking at the methodology there is enough room to create this many regions.. any more though is getting tight for space... so, 8 i think is about the max you can squeeze onto the mainland.

Silver Rusher
10-13-2004, 19:56
I will post a guide tomorrow.

Thank you! I just bought the mag today and was stoked! And congratulations to everyone else who made it!

More provinces have been added, including Corsica and modern Sweden. The names aren't accurate for everything, they'll be changed in due course. Now if only someone found out how to add factions....

'Sweden' (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=217250)

Nice work BKB, I see some new faction(s) in turkey, would you mind telling us what they are?

10-13-2004, 20:01
I haven't added any factions - are they rebels? I'm not sure.

Silver Rusher
10-13-2004, 20:11
I haven't added any factions - are they rebels? I'm not sure.
Interesting, the people in Byzantium and Bythinia are a different colour to everybody else.

Darkmoor_Dragon
10-13-2004, 20:25
BKB have you got around to actually editing the .tga for new province borders? if so what progrma are you using - changes via photoshop (then saved as 24bit tga) dont seem to want to work for me atm...

nm - got it working now.

Stormy
10-13-2004, 20:33
Let me help out with a link if you don't mind. :bow:

Great link with ancient provinces and city names and borders in pdf (http://iam.classics.unc.edu/map/map_idx.html)

Stormy
10-13-2004, 20:41
A little bit more.

Historical and political maps of Europe, year 1 to year 1000 (http://www.euratlas.com/time1.htm)

Ranika
10-13-2004, 22:01
I very much like the way that would divide up Britain. Would give the Britons something to do rather than having to have a province on the mainland to accomplish anything with, and would do more justice when playing as anyone else invading Britain, as it'd be a bigger job, and more realistic. I can conquer Britain as the Greeks now in only (I think) 7 turns with one army. And as the Britons, it's kind of upsetting that the initial bulk of my empire has to be carved out of Europe, rather than setting up a unified Britain.

I just though, could you split Hibernia in two, perhaps? Between north and south. Leave Tara in the north, have Milesiagh in the south? I know Milesiagh actually probably post-dates the start of the game, but it wouldn't be by far. I think the Romans called it Milesium, but I'm not totally sure about that. However, Milesiagh is mentioned in several legends as the Milesian king's capitol in Hibernia, when fighting the Tuatha Da Danaan.

Good luck on the mapping, great ideas.

Darkmoor_Dragon
10-13-2004, 23:44
you can split mainland britain into 7 provinces.. 8 is a bit too much. Hibernia can be turned into about 3.. otherwise its just too crowded.

ive got the mainland split - working on hibernia, adding names and trade routes etc.

Ranika
10-13-2004, 23:53
What splits are you making to Hibernia, then? Not the later Irish kingdoms, I hope, as they didn't exist for quite some time after the Celtic invasions, and if the end date is 14 AD for the game, not until after the end of the game, either. The isle of Anglesey doesn't appear on the map, I don't believe, anyway. For British provinces, I do like the other 7 mentioned, and while I'd like Anglesy, it'd be tiny, I think, if one goes off of proportion, and while it was involved in the Roman conquest of Britain (I believe it was being captured when the whole Boudicca debacle occured), so were a lot of very small places. If I'm mistaken, and it'd really be large enough to proportionally fit it on the map, with a city and all, that'd be nice, but still, it's so small. Of course, then, the same can be said of Palmyra, so I digress, but in that event, I'd add Mannau, just to give that tiny island between Hibernia and Britain a purpose.

In the case of three splits, after the end of the Milesian kings, around 50 BC, St. Patrick recounts that the accepted history was that three kingdoms were formed. Oirgallia (the only one to actually survive into the dark ages), meaning 'The East Gaels', which was modern day Ulster and some surround area. The western shore was Domigallia; 'The West Gaels', or Arannachtal; 'The Aran Men Lands' and the remaining portion in the south-east was Milesial, 'The Milesian Lands'.

Darkmoor_Dragon
10-14-2004, 00:27
yup anglesey and the isle of mann are too small

Ranika
10-14-2004, 00:31
The three splits I meant to say were the Hibernian kingdoms, to clarify. Oirgallia became a portion of Ulaid, though was an independent kingdom for a long time, despite technically being part of Ulaid (Ulaid, early Ulster, was badly fractured, because the High King was totally ignored most of the time, so the sub-kingdoms, like Ui Neill and Oirgallia, set themselves up as more serious indepedent kingdoms).

Anyway, was wondering exactly then, what you plan on doing to Hibernia, and the rest of the map, if you have plans fleshed out. I'll be patient though, but I am very excited to hear the map is actually moddable, so pardon any over-excitement.