PDA

View Full Version : \'Japanese-Pronounciation-Expert\' needed!!

Jpf
12-19-2000, 23:35
Now I know I should almost be able to speak Japanese being a fan of Shogun but....
I'm having a bit of an ongoing argument with a friend of mine at the moment. It's concerning the pronounciation of the title of this manga film
Urotsukidoji(the 2nd o has a line above it)

Now I have that as follows
oo-rot-sooki-dojee
If you get my drift http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif
Have I got it right???

Zen Blade
12-20-2000, 02:05
I can't say with 100% assuredity, but the "suk" section should probably be pronounced "sk"...

for example, Yamamoto Kansuke or Kozuke or Shimotsuke.

U is extremely short is japanese unless it has a bar or is doubled (those being equivalent) as seen in Etchuu or Yuuki..

I'm not completely sure about the first U, but I would guess that it is heard more than the 2nd one.

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG

Tachikaze
12-20-2000, 13:33
The pronunciation would be:

oo-row-ts'kee-doh-jee

Like Zen-Blade wrote, some Japanese vowels (I and U) are almost absent between nonvocal consonants (like k, s, sh, m, t, ts, etc.). However, not the I between K and D (which is vocal). The U sound is abbreviated between the TS and K.

In my transcription, "oo" is like oo in food.

"row" is like how people move a boat. But tap the R sound, almost between an R and a soft D sound.

"ts'kee" is tough. It's sort of like ski, but start pronouncing the S with your tongue against the roof of your mouth, just behind your top teeth.

"doh" is like dough, but the O sound is sustained longer.

"jee" is like pronouncing the name of the letter G.

------------------
A murky puddle becomes clear when it is still.

[This message has been edited by Tachikaze (edited 12-20-2000).]

Jpf
12-20-2000, 15:32
Thanks fro the info guys,
I was a lot closer than my friend to the correct pronounciation..
Guess I'm going to win the bet after all http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/biggrin.gif