PDA

View Full Version : Asai retainers

FwSeal
12-14-2000, 00:02
Hey, Zen -
I thought I'd post a listing here of notable Asai retainers that I have come across thus far in my studies - I'm sure you've heard of some - if not most - but just in case, here they are (currently):

Anemori Yayoi
Yayoi served all three generations of the Asai daimyƓ house - Sukemasa, Hisamasa, and Nagamasa. He held Anemori Castle and fought in a number of battles, though his fate is unclear - it is thought that he died in the early years of Asai Nagamasa's rule.

Atsuji Sadahide
Sadahide served Asai Nagamasa and distinguished himself in 1572 as the commander of Odani Castle's defenses.

Endo Naotsune
d.1570
Also known as Kizaemon
Naotsune served Asai Nagamasa and was a leading Asai retainer. He met Oda Nobunaga when the latter came to visit Nagamasa and is said to have afterwards advised the latter great caution when dealing with him. He was killed at the Battle of Anegawa attempting to reach Oda Nobunaga's headquarters.

Imai Sadakiyo
d.1561
Kenroku was an ally and later vassal to the Asai. He was accidentally speared and killed by Asai retainer, Kishizawa Yoichi, during the Asai's efforts to recapture Futo Castle from the Rokaku in 1561. The Imai, who had to this point enjoyed a certain independance, afterwards became Asai vassals.

Ishida Masatsugu
d.1600
Masatsugu was the son of Ishida Seishin(?). He retired after the defeat of the Asai in 1573 and commited suicide when he received word of his younger son's defeat at Sekigahara.

Isono Kazumasa
Tamba no kami
d.1570
Kazumasa was a senior Asai retainer and a noted general. In 1561 he relieved Sawayama Castle - under attack by the Rokkaku - and afterwards became the lord of that place. He was killed commanding the front rank of the Asai army at the Anegawa against Oda Nobunaga in 1570.

Kaiho Tsunachika
Zenemon
d.1573
Tsunechika served Asai Nagamasa and was a senior retainer. A veteran of Anegawa, he was killed when the Asai's Odani Castle fell to Oda Nobunaga in 1573. His son, known as Kaiho Yusho, became a well-know painter.

Miyabe Tsugimasu
1528-1599
Tsugimasu was originally a monk of the Enryakuji who accepted service with Asai Nagamasa and was given Miyabe Castle. He joined Toyotomi Hideyoshi following the destruction of the Asai. Among his duties, he served Hideyoshi as an agricultural daikan and eventually recieved Tottori Castle in Inaba, which his son Nagafusa lost after supporting Ishida Mitsunari in the Sekigahara Campaign (1600).

Zen Blade
12-14-2000, 09:56
yup, know of most of them...
of course, some of that knowledge is through your website, but other bits are from reading.

The last one though is the most interesting. I take it he joined before the religious complex was destroyed.

also, the Imai's "submission" (for lack of a better name)... was this right after Sadakiyo died? I remember reading about his "accidental" death.... any hints that it maybe wasn't so accidental??

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG

FwSeal
12-15-2000, 22:30
Nothing I have read directly implies that Imai was bumped off. However, there does seem to have been rising tension between the Asai and Imai. Both had been retainers of the Kyogoku, and to 1560 the Imai had asserted their role as allies, rather then servents, of the Asai. After Sadakiyo's death, Nagamasa - and this is bit cloudy - basically made them into vassals. So, from that standpoint, Sadakiyo's death certainly had a silver lining for Nagamasa...

Ganryu
12-26-2000, 05:47
FW Seal,

I'm back! Nice to see that discussions on Asai Nagamasa are still ongoing!