PDA

View Full Version : Problem with export_descr_unit.txt

camulos
10-15-2004, 01:24
After I try to edit this file RTW doesn't start. Same problem when I download other people's edited files. What am I doing wrong? Thanks. :help:

khelvan
10-15-2004, 01:40
RTW not starting is a result of bad syntax or bad data within an editted file. The RTW files are looking for very specific data formatting and if you don't get it exactly right, you crash to desktop. This is a trial and error process.

If you post more about the specific change you are trying to make you will get better feedback.

camulos
10-15-2004, 01:52
Mostly I'm trying to edit unit sizes. I play on large unit size but would like animal units such as dogs, elephants, pigs, etc to remain at their default size. (ie 6 elephants in a unit)

Thedevil003
10-15-2004, 03:23
Put "-show_err" in the command line, than tell us what the exact error is.

Psyco
10-15-2004, 04:40
Put "-show_err" in the command line, than tell us what the exact error is.
Whats the "command line"?

khelvan
10-15-2004, 05:23
It is the actual text used to start the program. If you go to the properties of your shortcut to the game, you can see the actual command line call; append -show_err to it for displaying errors.

Mr Frost
10-16-2004, 03:45
It is the actual text used to start the program. If you go to the properties of your shortcut to the game, you can see the actual command line call; append -show_err to it for displaying errors.

As many folk are as confused by Bill Gates infernal contraption as I usually am , here is the long version of how to ~D

This is what it should look like Target "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -show_err

I don't know if different OS use a different title for it , but in XP Home , it will be called Target and be under the Shortcut Tab of Rome Total War Properties .
Note , you must include a space after the "C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" part before you put in the -show_err bit or XP will give you an error message and refuse to appily it .
You must also click the Appily button on that Properties box to make it appily .

SolAurum
01-28-2008, 07:23
Hi, I know this thread is old, but I also have a question about editing RTW.

When I go to export_descr_unit, my intention is usually to get rid of the damn upkeep cost of units, because my armies get so big that I've had up to -70000 denarii. I also edit everything in cost to 0. I think the problem is arising in that I try to change to what factions units belong to. For example, it would be fun if the Greek cities had pikemen, so I change Royal Pikemen from macedon to greek_cities. I believe there is a syntax error here somewhere, what is the proper syntax? Thank you for your help.

SolAurum
01-28-2008, 07:28
Nvm, your suggestion to use the -show_err command was useful. Problem fixed. Thank you.