PDA

View Full Version : Samurai stuff...Ran...

Warmaker
01-01-2001, 15:06
I heard about the battle scenes for Ran and I'm trying hard to find this title on DVD. Are there any other Samurai movies with spectacular battles? Got hooked onto Samurai subjects about 10 years ago when the a local asian station in San Francisco showed a series on the rise of Ashikaga Takauji, another one for Takeda Shingen, and my favorite, Oda Nobunaga.

------------------
There's no such thing as overkill, just ensured victory!

Anssi Hakkinen
01-01-2001, 22:30
Kagemusha is another Akira Kurosawa film with a couple of big battle scenes. It should certainly be available on DVD. There are a few old threads on this subject...

------------------
"Crystal clear, / Sharp and bright, / The sacred sword / Allows no opening / For evil to roost."
- Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei

The Black Ship
01-01-2001, 22:40
Now I'm not saying buy from these guys...but here's where I get my Kurasawa's from http://www.us.buy.com/retail/videos/searchresults.asp?search_store=4&qutype=9&qu=Akira+Kurosawa

Warmaker
01-02-2001, 12:20
Thanks for the lead guys. I just love the speed and flow of how they depict warfare by the samurai.

------------------
There's no such thing as overkill, just ensured victory!

hach
01-02-2001, 19:50
well ran is without exception the best film to come out of japan there are a few others like kagemusha and samurai banners.

samurai banners is better if you can forgive the close ups of the riding of fake horses.
makes me laugh.

hach

Asturian Knight
01-03-2001, 20:21
"Heaven and earth" (Ten To Chi To) directed by Haruki Kadokawa.

I don't know how "Historically accurate" this movie is; but has very beautiful battle scenes, especially for the 4th Kawanakajima (sp) battle.

A must see for all STW fans.

------------------
Strength and Honor!!