PDA

View Full Version : Napoleonic Wars Mod.

WarHawk
10-16-2004, 07:11
I'd be very interested in putting a mod together based on the Napoleonic era. And the RTW engine just screams for a mod such as this.

I don't know a lot of the history of it, but I think there could be a lot of potential for this. It would pit many strong countries against each other, such as Britain, France, Spain, Prussia, and Russia. The only thing it would be missing is sea battles (but hopefully CA will add those in a patch or expansion.).

Silver Rusher
10-16-2004, 07:54
Have you played Napoleonic Total War yet? It could give you loads of help and the designers (the Lordz) would probably be very happy to help.

Lord Shand
10-16-2004, 11:02
Have you played Napoleonic Total War yet? It could give you loads of help and the designers (the Lordz) would probably be very happy to help.

Or better yet they just might be working on it themselves

:bow:

crazyviking03
10-16-2004, 11:43
I vote we leave it to them! ~;)

Lord Of Storms
10-16-2004, 15:56
Or better yet they just might be working on it themselves

:bow:
~;) Could be the understatement of the year! ~D ...LOS

SwordsMaster
10-18-2004, 16:26
@The Lordz :bow:

I dont really know if it is doable, but it would be nice to add more smoke to each firing sequence (over the MTW-NTW mod). I would love to see unit literally disappear in the smoke to appear at 20 yards of the enemy charging.....

It also would be nice if thesmoke could las longer. Its all about the smoke... ~:smoking:

That if you are concerned about the smoke instead of the unit skins, firing/reloading animations, campmaps, battlemaps, etc.... ~D

Lord Of Storms
10-22-2004, 17:26
Smoke is doable mate, ~;) The Lordz will more then likely be looking into an NTW sequel for the RTW platform.
Of course there is a lot of hustle and bustle surrounding the exact mod capabilites inherent in the engine as presented and much specualtion as to what CA will do about the promised "Mod tools" ~:confused:
And much progress is being made by the capable modders that make up this and other TW communities, it is sad that CA leaves us in the dark for only so long until we pick the game apart ourselves, why dont they just cooperate and provide modders the needed info and tools without all the games?
Hell some games are released nowaday with all the modding tools and code provided !!
what is CA afraid of?, I respect them and feel they have given us some great titles, but they did make some promises they did not keep and that is bad form mates!
Modders will be heard and we will do what it takes with or without, but would really like to see CA take an active supportive interest in what modders have to say and what they would like to see offered with the games releases.
Anyway I am geeting off topic here!
We have alot to do and for now NTW for RTW seems a good way for The Lordz to go.
The Org community was and is our first home, NTW began here a little more then 2 years ago.
And I would say better modders you will not find outside these boards!
yes we felt it was best to take our NTW forums elsewhere and that in no way should refelect negatively on the Org or The Lordz Modding Collective.
it was just something we felt was prudent at the time enough said...
I will keep you apprised of the developments on an NTW sequel for RTW cheers...LOS

WarHawk
10-22-2004, 20:07
Is their much discussion about going over to RTW? I'd like to help out if I can, I've started on a cannon model.

dclare4
11-07-2004, 06:11
RTW just begs to be converted to the Napoleonic Wars :) Even the titles and unit names of the First Empire echoed Rome - First Consul, Velites of the Guard for example. The tutorials could follow the young Bonaparte through the Whiff of the Grapeshot episode and Toulon for example. Hopefully musketry can be simulated.

Hoping for it!
Clare

King Yngvar
11-07-2004, 06:37
Concidering the Napoleonic war was short in years, will it be possible for you to make it so that one turn is just one month?

wilpuri
11-07-2004, 15:09
I doubt that it is possible, but the "Napoleonic era" (tactics, weaponry etc) lasted something like 100 years, so that would be 200 turns. Also, it would be cool if armies had something like double or triple the amount of movement points, since that would make it more realistic, and also make up for the time factor. I mean presently in RTW it takes something like 2 years to march an army from southen italy into northern italy. Just an idea ~:)

Kaiser of Arabia
11-07-2004, 16:57
@ the Lordz:
As you know, my mod is in the same time period, more or less, as yours. So any information we stumble apon in terms of modding, we will gladly share with you.
Have you come up with a good way to get guns into the game yet? My team was thinking of making slings guns, as we still need bows.. What do you think?

dclare4
11-08-2004, 10:16
I'm not sure but if you save up movement points instead of using them all up, you can react to enemy attacks in their turn and retreat out of battles that you can't win? I'm not sure if thats the case but I was able to retreat once from a losing battle.

Turns for a Napoleonic mod should be monthly to be realistic to the period but if some abstraction could be discovered maybe a workaround could be found.

Uniforms could be modded starting with what is already there. Most heavy cavalry except for horse grenadiers used uniforms based on 'classical' designs with brass or iron helmets. The Egyptian infantry have this freakin big headgear that just begs to be turned into a bearskin (I was thinking that it wouldn't be too hard to turn them into the famed Old Guard! They have long 'skirts' w/c can be modded into turnbacked coats or overcoats I think) Austrian infantry of the Napoleonic period used brass type helmets too.

If a way could be found to extend the map further Northern India could perhaps be included in the game. This would be relevant to the period as Wellesley started his career as a general there (Assaye) and it was Napoleon's goal for his Egyptian campaign to threaten the trade route to India and of course the Russian Bear looks hungrily south toward the subcontinent. Just a good excuse to use those in-game elephants.

I was thinking that instead of births and deaths we could have 'commissioned', 'on staff' and 'retired' if we make the game 'turn based'. So newcomers are 'on staff' (born) and theoretically serve as an ADC for the time it takes to "grow up" and then they are 'commissioned' (come of age) and serve until they 'retire' or are 'reassigned' (die of natural causes)

It would be a huge disappointment to hear that the projectile effects for guns aren't included... maybe modded flaming pigs?

It would be cool to include as many major battle locations as 'provinces' (western Europe is kinda sparse during Roman times and there is much room for addition of famous locations) so battles could be fought for places like Fleurus/Ligny, Ratisbon, Bailen as well as the more well known Iena, Austerlitz, Eckmuhl, Borodino and Waterloo. Since cities and major towns are population centers and centers of development, it makes more sense to capture those than build up minor towns w/c allows the player to focus more on army movement and combat (ie the fun stuff)

Maybe three or four month turns (abstracted)? (Ie seasonal) though I don't think turn lengths can really be modded.

it would be great too if a list of historic personalities including but not limited to generals/marshals, diplomats, spies (police chiefs/gendarme) and other personages could be compiled. One very minor gripe I had with NTW was the lack of historic characters.

Senate could be the Revolutionary Directorate ('ruled' by Paul Barras) while the player faction is naturally the Bonaparte Clan. Other nations could be handled as 'clans' too like the Hapsburgs (Austria), Guelphs (Britain/Hanover), Bourbons (Spain major faction and Royalist Emigre), Orange (Netherlands), forgot the Russians I don't think they were the Romanovs at this time and not sure if the Prussians were called the Brandenburgs (probably not I know). Game would start in Paris with the whiff of grapeshot episode (w/c also shows the risks of fighting in a city, lots of buildings to damage!) then to Toulon and after that wherever the Directory assigns you.

Looking forward to this and willing to help if ever!
Clare

Myrddraal
11-08-2004, 10:28
@Capo:
Theres no need to overwrite slings, just make ur own projectile, I made peasants throw stones and if you look at my Aes Sedai (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=620651&postcount=17) I made a new projectile for them called 'one_power'. Its based on an existing projectile, but it means you can change the stats, and not overwrite an existing projectile.

Hope this helps

Lord De Moray
11-08-2004, 12:53
At the Lordz we can use much information from NTW1 for MTW this showed that a mod of the Napoleonic wars was possible.

There is a few problems just yet with Rome, but they will be ironed out, maybe weeks or months all the same.

But before the finer points of the Napoleonic wars can be dealt with we have to look at the simple modding basics first.

LoM

Zafer
12-27-2004, 17:32
The Crimea was nearly always a vassal of or directly part of, the Ottoman Empire (at least in regards to this mod's time period)...Is it going to be an individual country in this mod?
-------------------------------------------------------------
In May 1475 a huge Ottoman army commanded by vizier Gedlik Ahmed Pasha reached the Crimea. Using his strong artillery the Ottomans seized many seaside towns (including Kaffa) and left there garrisons. Mengli Giray was captured and for the next 3 years he was kept in a Turkish prison. In 1478 upon a request by the Crimean aristocracy Sultan Mehmed II agreed to restore Mengli Giray to his status of khan. Later an Ottoman army invaded the Crimea again and removed all pretenders, solidifying Megli Giray on a throne as a vassal of sultan Osmans.

As a vassal, domestic power remained in the Khan's hands. However a foreign policy as well as the appointing of Muslim clerical dignitaries lay in Sultan hands. Moreover the Khan was obliged to take part in war campaigns waged by the Ottomans. The southern part of Crimea was directly annexed into the Ottoman Empire and become an Eylat of Kaffa ruled by an Ottoman Beylerbey. The main issue for Mengli Giray's reign was war with Grand Horde which claimed a right to supervise the Crimea Khanate. In this war Mengli won a valuable ally: Moscow's Prince Ivan III. As a consequence of this alliance the Polish-Lithuanian state which at this time suported the Khan of Grand Horde, was invaded.
----------------------------------------------------------
I think they should be a vassal state.

Zafer
12-27-2004, 18:00
^^^^^^You all are probably wondering what the hell that has anything to do with this thread. It doesn't. I posted in the wrong topic. Sorry :(:(

[GG]Ashram
01-07-2005, 05:18
Hm, these Lordz, I have heard of them.

Come visit one of the top Napoleonic Total War Clans; the Grenadier Guards

www.ntwgg.com

Can't wait for NTW2.

(And if you play NTW, keep your eyes open for our massive multiplayer campaign, beginning soon! Give you a chance to do some of this: :duel: )

[GG]Ashram

Zharakov
01-07-2005, 05:35
it would be neat if NTW2 had navel fights... Man-O-Wars... Sloops... Frigates... ~:)

also a NTW onlie campaign sounds like fun... comrade ~D

[GG]Ashram
01-08-2005, 09:36
I don't mean to "hijack" this thread, but the Second Grenadier Guard Online Multiplayer Campaign has begun. Please check www.ntwgg.com and it's Campaign Section of the forums for details.

S!

[GG]Ashram