PDA

View Full Version : Real Swords, Musashi FYI

Jester san
01-15-2001, 08:50
Greetings all,
I've been reading a few posts regarding historical accuracy and the no-dashi vs katana debate. I put this post here because i've not realy related anything back to the actual game.

I have been a member of the SCA and New Verangian Guard. Both are medievel recreation societies.
I've also trained in aikido, karate and kendo (amonst other martial arts).

With this background i've wielded both real and practice swords.

OK, which is the better sword?
The answer to this can be found in The Art of War or the Go Rin No Sho (Book of Five Rings).
To Paraphrase: 'It's not the strength of the steel but the mettle of the swordsman that counts'
Katana's were made to order and were sized to the wields height.
When holding the katana in one hand (loosly) the tip of the blade must hover one (or two) inchs from the ground.
A heavier or longer sword offers no advantage. Timing is the most important element. When the attacker commits to the attack the defender then uses the defence that will beat that attack, (if they are good and fast enough).

Musashi (who appeared in the 16th centry) is alleged to have defeated his greatest opponent (who weilded a no-dashi all his
life) with a rotten oar.

On the topic of the expansion and legandery swordsmen, Musashi is also alleged to have defeated an entire school of swordsmanship in a day. Yes one man defeated over two hundred samuri, well so the legand goes.

There is a series of five books which are a fictonal account of Musashi's life (based on real events), published by penguin. They are MUST read for any STW fan. (As is the Go Rin No Sho by Musashi)

For those who read this i hope you found it interesting.

------------------
Do not attempt to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Seek what they sort.

Anssi Hakkinen
01-15-2001, 23:03
And now that you mention it: a link to

the Go Rin no Sho (http://victorian.fortunecity.com/duchamp/410/fiverings.html) by Miyamoto Musashi.

Courtesy of the Kyuba no Michi (http://victorian.fortunecity.com/duchamp/410/main.html).

[This message has been edited by Anssi Hakkinen (edited 01-15-2001).]

Ii Naomasa
01-17-2001, 14:22
"Rotten oar" would be one description. Other tales make it out to be a perfectly good oar...and deliberately chosen for the very reason of giving Miyamoto Musashi nearly the same range as Sasaki Kojiro...which would indicate an awareness of length of weapon, despite all else. Of course, the tales concerning that battle vary greatly, with Kojiro's age sometimes being listed as anywhere from younger than Musashi to twice his age.

Your point, however, that it is the warrior that makes the weapon dangerous, not the weapon itself, is absolutely correct. If skilled enough, nearly any weapon can defeat another.

There is, however, a difference between dueling and mass warfare. Your background, Jester-san or mine would only take us so far in open combat. Duels, while still chaotic, are deliberately contained and attempts are made to bring order. On a battlefield, anything goes, and more often than not the larger, heavier, and/or more punishing weapon wins solely because of its chances to hit and inflict critical damage. That's part of the reason spears and battle swords were dominant on battlefields in both the Western and Eastern worlds, while rapiers and katana became the standard dueling/small numbers instruments. Remember that Musashi's philosophy formed during years of relative peace.