PDA

View Full Version : Creative Assembly Sea Battles?

WarHawk
10-17-2004, 09:18
I wonder how hard it would be to mod sea battles in? If we get some map editors in the future, it might be possible to make an all water map, and perhaps model ships to work like seige towers, and other units the require soldiers to operate. Then someone would have to figure out how to add the selection to the battle screen, but this shouldn't be too hard since the frame work is already there.

JeromeGrasdyke
10-17-2004, 10:49
I wonder how hard it would be to mod sea battles in? If we get some map editors in the future, it might be possible to make an all water map, and perhaps model ships to work like seige towers, and other units the require soldiers to operate. Then someone would have to figure out how to add the selection to the battle screen, but this shouldn't be too hard since the frame work is already there.

"Ho ho ho ho", to quote Jabba the Hutt. At a rough guess: nearly impossible. The engine specifies that things can't move on water and die when they stand in it, so you'd have to get ground to look like water - which will look awful - then that would allow soldiers to walk on 'water' while they push the new 'boats' around, and that is behaviour which is intrinsically linked to all siege engines and artillery and it's the only way to get the engines to move. Still, we didn't think moving artillery could be done in Medieval either, and someone did do it for the Napoleonic mod -- so perhaps perhaps people will figure out a way ~;)

WarHawk
10-17-2004, 20:00
"Ho ho ho ho", to quote Jabba the Hutt. At a rough guess: nearly impossible. The engine specifies that things can't move on water and die when they stand in it, so you'd have to get ground to look like water - which will look awful - then that would allow soldiers to walk on 'water' while they push the new 'boats' around, and that is behaviour which is intrinsically linked to all siege engines and artillery and it's the only way to get the engines to move. Still, we didn't think moving artillery could be done in Medieval either, and someone did do it for the Napoleonic mod -- so perhaps perhaps people will figure out a way ~;)
Well, it's all code, so I wouldn't be suprised if it could be done.

BassV2
10-17-2004, 23:04
Well, it's all code, so I wouldn't be suprised if it could be done.

and i wouldn't be surpized of you got a c++ god with a lot of time

Razor1952
10-21-2004, 03:05
I would love (and pay) for real sea battles in the "addon" (which I know must be coming). I can see biremes/triremes crashing into each other,much flames , greek fire, arrows, boarding parties, yes quite a maelstrom of fun, throw in some storms , rocks and reefs....

On modding it occurs using modified seige towers as boats , landscape made to look like water, invisible modded troops to push the "boats" and when the modded invisible troops die they look like drowning sailors..... , maybe 1 unit chariots or elephants could be modded to look boats? ....just ideas to carry on the thread

Hross af Guttenburg
11-02-2004, 03:52
Say the ship had invisible crew to push it around, how do we get the crew onto the ship that we do want visible? the crew that would fight and board and fire missiles? -my thread on Napoleonic Naval War would require shitloads of cannons NTW style, so I'd really love to think it was possible. It all sounds so far-fetched...

chariots....become ships....invisible horsepower maybe? crew of 100+ men unit? ....but the cannons....?

Myrddraal
11-02-2004, 16:39
Why push around, why use seige engines. Use mounts with multiple riders. If you could change an elephant to look like a ship, and have 20 people with bows riding on it instead of 3 or 4, make the land look like water, and there you go.