PDA

View Full Version : Adding Axemen to Gauls

Jagger
10-19-2004, 21:31
Ok, I am trying to add axemen to the Gaul faction.

I want to use the existing German axeman.

I added text for this Gaul axeman into the following files:

export_units
export_descr_unit
export_descr_buildings
export_descr_unit_enums---copied the German file exclusively but renamed as Gaul

I keep getting crashes as I try to load.

Are there any other files I should be adding gaul data?

Even though I am using an existing model, do I have to add data into the textures and UI files?

Thanks in advance!

itkotw
10-21-2004, 03:39
Hmm, I am not sure what you are doing wrong, but I think there might be an easier way for you to add the axemen. If you want to just quickly add axemen, and nothing fancy, You only have to edit 3 files - export_descr_unit, descr_model_battle, export_descry_buildings. This quick method will not allow you to set different stats for the gaul axemen, you will have to use the same stats as the german (always).

First, in the export_descr_unit file change the ownership line to this "ownership germans, gauls". Make sure only one space after the comma is added. I got a error because I typed "germans , gauls" the first time. I changed it to "germans, gauls" and it worked (dont ask why, I know it sounds dumb). That is all you have to do in this file (for this quicky method).

Next, in the descr_model_battle file you have to add two lines. Scroll down to the german axemen section and copy the texture line and paste it right below. Then change the first "germans" to "gauls" -
"gauls, data/models_unit/textures/unit_barb_warband_german_.tga".
After that, copy and paste the model_sprite line and replace "germans" with "gauls" again. So far in this file we have only added two lines, that is all you have to do. This gives the game textures and sprites to use when it looks for the axemen that are used by the gauls.

Finally, we have to give the gauls a way to build the axemen, this is also simple. Open the export_descr_buildings file. All you have to do is find every occurrence of "warband axe german" and at the end add "gauls,". It should look like this -
"warband axe german" 0 requires factions { germans, gauls, }
The comma after "gauls" is important because it will cause and error if it is not there. You should have to do this four times, once under each of these buildings -militia_barracks,city_barracks,army_barracks,royal_barracks.

That is all you have to do to give the gauls axemen and get the game to run, but there are a few bad things about this quicky method. First, you will see that the gaul axemen look the same as the german axemen, this is because we did not give the gauls a custom texture, but just told the game to use the german's texture. Next you will see that the unit card at the bottom of the screen and the unit info screen shows a grey colored peasant. This is easy to change, but it requires you to unpack some textures.

If you want to learn how to change the textures and the unit cards, post a reply, I will be happy to explain how to do it. Though, I am not a master modder, unpacking the textures and changing them is easy. Hope this helps.

itkotw
10-21-2004, 03:48
I meant to clarify something. I wrote this assuming you wanted to add the plain german axemen, not the 2-handed ones (though using this basic method, you could give any faction in the game any unit).

Also, when editing the first two files, you have to look for the "warband axe german" section ( I just meant to add that in case there was any confusion).

Jagger
10-21-2004, 14:32
Thanks, itkotw.

I made those changes and it worked well. Although I had one weird side effect. When the Gauls fight the Germans, the gaulish axemen will disappear except for the standard bearer and officer at high viewing angles.

I do have the problem with the unit card and unit image. I would be very interested if you could explain how to make the changes or reference a thread that does.

Ultimately, I would like to create a separate gaulish axemen based on the existing German axemen but with a distinct color scheme. However finding the time is really a challenge.

Thanks again!

itkotw
10-22-2004, 04:29
Hmm, I have been thinking about the disappearing axemen. I had a similar problem when I first tried to give the gauls axemen. The troops would disappear at long ranges. All I can say is check the descr_model_battle file, and make sure this line appears under the "warband_axe" section (I incorrectly called this the "warband axe german" section in my second post) -

model_sprite gauls, 60.0, data/sprites/germans_warband_axe_sprite.spr

This just tells the game to use the german axemen sprites for the gauls. This is needed because the game stops using 3d models at long ranges and switches to sprites (cheesy, but fast, 2d images)(I forgot to add the second sprite line when I first edited the axemen).

Now, lets talk about the unit cards and unit info screen. First thing we have to do is unpack some of the image files that the game uses. The game has a few compressed files which it uncompresses when the game starts up. So, what you have to do is download the Xpak program, which is discussed in this link - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=37626 . After you follow the directions in the program, it will unpack the files and create a few new folders. The xpak program unpacks the files and creates the new folders within the /Data/packs folder, but you are going to leave most of the newly unpacked files and only copy the one or two that you need (this will seem a little clearer once you unpack the files).

After you unpack the files, you need to create a couple more folders. These new folders are needed because of the way the game organizes the factions image files. Create a new folder in the "Rome - Totalwar/Data/" folder, called "UI". Then, within the "UI" folder, create a folder called "UNIT_INFO". Now under the "UNIT_INFO" folder, create another folder called "Gauls". Next, you will have to make another folder in the "UI" folder, called "UNITS". Finally, make a new folder in the "UNITS" folder called "Gauls". To recap on the folders we have just created, they should look something like this - "Rome - Totalwar/Data/UI/UNIT_INFO/Gauls" and "Rome - Totalwar/Data/UI/UNITS/Gauls". The next step is to copy some of the unpacked images into these folders.

Now, look in the unpacked folder named "DATA/UI/UNIT_INFO/Germans/" (remember, this is not the normal "data" folder, but the newly unpacked one), technically the location is this - "Data/packs/DATA/UI/UNIT_INFO/Germans/". Find the file called "WARBAND_AXE_GERMAN_INFO.tga" and copy it to the folder you just created called "/Data/UI/UNIT_INFO/Gauls/". Now go into the unpacked folder called "/DATA/UI/UNITS/Germans/" (the technical location is "/Data/packs/DATA/UI/UNITS/Germans") and find the file called "#WARBAND_AXE_GERMAN.tga" and copy to the folder you just created called "Data/UI/UNITS/Gauls/".

That is all you have to do to get the unit cards and info screen to display the axemen picture. Who knows, there might be an easier way, hehe. I hope that helps, if you have any problems, post a reply. Good luck.

p.s. As I was writing this I had an idea and I tried to test an easy way to give the gaul axemen a different texture. While browsing the texture files I noticed that the gaul swordsman had an axe already in the texture file, so I figured hey why not tell the game to use the gaul swordsmen texture on the gaul axemen. It did not turn out perfect. Unfortunately, the axemen model's texture map needs a few extra pieces that the swordsmen texture file didn't have, namely some sort of art for the beard and that funky german braid/princess leia bun on the right side of their head. So the gaul axemen that are using the swordsmen texture have a black spot for a beard and a black spot on the right side of their head. I do not know which you will dislike more - gaul axemen with red pants or gaul axemen with green pants and black spots on their heads. But the green pants do make it easier to track how your troops are doing in a battle. In any case, when you decide to edit some textures, it might be easier to add a couple patches of color to the gaul swordsmen file , than copy the german axemen file and change the color of the pants and shield. If you want to see the swordsmen texture in action just go to the "descr_model_battle" file and find the "warband_axe" section and change this line -

texture gauls, data/models_unit/textures/unit_barb_warband_german_.tga

to this -

texture gauls, data/models_unit/textures/unit_barb_warband_gaul_.tga

Jagger
10-22-2004, 07:21
First things first....many thanks! I now have unit cards and info screen depictions of my Gaulish axemen!

Your directions were great. I didn't have any problems except when the extraction process was occuring. I wasn't sure when the process was complete, so I terminated the extraction too soon. The extracted files were empty. When I realized that eight files needed unpacking, I waited until the process was complete. And everything was there.

Also I didn't have the one line for the Gaulish sprites in the model_data file either. I won't be able to test that solution until I have another battle between the Gauls and the Germans. But I bet that solved the problem.

One last question.... Do I need a special paint program to work with DDS files? I only have MSPaint available.

Next time you are in New Orleans, I owe you a good beer.

Jagger
10-22-2004, 07:25
I just tried to open the DDS texture file for the axemen. Apparantly MSpaint does not support the format.

Jagger
10-22-2004, 14:09
I did some research this morning on DDS files. Apparantly only photoshop and paintshop pro opens DDS files and some plugins are required.

I may download the free trial version of paintshop this weekend and see what I can do.

The samnite
10-22-2004, 16:01
Hey Jagger,

if Photoshop or PSP aren't options for you, you can get a program called DXTBMP from this site http://www.mnwright.btinternet.co.uk/.

It allows you to open DDS files, save them in a different format, and passes them on to different editors (MSPAINT included). One bad thing, you have to import the alpha channel separately (you can edit that too). It's an extra step than the commercial programs, but it works fine. I'm using it in conjuction with GIMP, while a bit buggy, is pretty good alround. Hope this helps.

Jagger
10-22-2004, 18:52
Thanks Samnite! I will check it out tonight. I really did not want to go out and buy a bunch of new software.

Inuyasha12
10-22-2004, 20:57
itkotw...WOW thanks man!!! ~D

That was the most comprehensive guide i've read so far, you've answered all my questions. :bow:

Jagger
10-23-2004, 03:54
Samnite, I downloaded the DXTBMP program. I was able to view the DDS Files. I was also able to paint them using MSPaint. However, MSPaint has a really limited number of colors to choose. Apparantly only 24 colors including black and white are available. I don't think I am going to be able to accomplish much of decent quality.

However it was interesting when I browsed through the various DDS files. I noticed that they all had the same layout of various weapons on each DDS/TGA file. So then I looked at the descr_model_data file. I checked the German spearmen and German axemen. They use the same base TGA file. The major difference is a substitution of axe for spear in the model_flexi section. A second difference is the use of different sprites. See below. I highlighted the differences between the German Spearmen and German Axemen. Wow!

type warband_spearman_german
skeleton fs_spearman
indiv_range 40
texture germans, data/models_unit/textures/unit_barb_warband_german_.tga
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_german_spear_high.cas, 8
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_german_spear_med.cas, 15
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_german_spear_low.cas, 30
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_german_spear_lowest.cas, max
model_sprite germans, 60.0, data/sprites/germans_warband_spearman_german_sprite.spr
model_tri 400, 0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f

----------------------------

type warband_axe
skeleton fs_swordsman ; axe has same anims as club, and shares some with sword
indiv_range 40
texture germans, data/models_unit/textures/unit_barb_warband_german_.tga
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_german_axe_high.cas, 8
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_german_axe_med.cas, 15
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_german_axe_low.cas, 30
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_german_axe_lowest.cas, max
model_sprite germans, 60.0, data/sprites/germans_warband_axe_sprite.spr

So if I want to create a Gaulish axemen, I would find the Gaulish warband model in the descr_model_data file. Here it is below. I would copy it.

type barb_infantry_longshield
skeleton fs_spearman, ; combat spear
indiv_range 40
texture gauls, data/models_unit/textures/unit_barb_warband_longshield_gaul_new.tga
texture dacia, data/models_unit/textures/unit_barb_warband_longshield_dacia_new.tga
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_longshield_high.CAS, 8
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_longshield_med.cas, 15
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_longshield_low.cas, 30
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_longshield_lowest.cas, max
model_sprite dacia, 60.0, data/sprites/dacia_barb_infantry_longshield_sprite.spr
model_sprite gauls, 60.0, data/sprites/gauls_barb_infantry_longshield_sprite.spr

Then I would paste it below the barb_infantry. Now note the changes. Anything I have added or changed is in bold.

type barb_infantry_longshield_axemen
skeleton fs_swordman, ;
indiv_range 40
texture gauls, data/models_unit/textures/unit_barb_warband_longshield_gaul_new.tga
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_longshield_axe_high.CAS, 8
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_longshield_axe_med.cas, 15
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_longshield_axe_low.cas, 30
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_longshield_axe_lowest.cas, max
model_sprite gauls, 60.0, data/sprites/gauls_barb_infantry_longshield_sprite.spr

Here are the changes in order.

First I rename the file to "barb_infantry_longshield_axemen"
Second I change the skeleton to fs swordman from spearman.
Third I remove the reference to "combat spear" in the skeleton section. I assume this means the model will use a spear by default. Note the barb infantry warband does not reference spear in the model section as it was done in the German spearmen description.
Fourth I remove the reference to a Dacian unit as I do not want it as an axemen.
Fifth, I insert "axe" in each of the four lines of model_flexi code between Longshield and the high, med, low and lowest cas.
Sixth, I remove the sprite reference to dacia again.
Note. For the moment, I leave the sprite alone. At long distance, the model will use the gaul warband sprite.

I think this process would work in creating a new axeman using the basic warband gaul tga. By making the changes above, the model will use the axe weapon instead of the spear. I assume the base TGA file can use any of the listed weapons within the TGA. I noticed the axe, spear and sword.

So I could use the stock warband gaul tga for my new axemen. However since I downloaded Warbirds excellent gaul skins tonight, I could use either the stock gaul skins or reference Warbirds new skins. And if I rename Warbands skins, I could reference either. Wow! I think it will work. And it hopefully would work with any existing nationality in which you wanted to add a weapons variation on a unit.

I am a little concerned about the sprites. However in viewing the sprites, they are very, very small. I am not sure that visually they will make much of a difference. When I test it, I will find out.

Many thanks on the reference to the DXTBMP program. Without viewing them, I would never have realized what could be done with the weapons and substitution of skins. All of this while barely touching a paint program.

Although I will still need to figure out how to do unit cards and unit info reflecting the appearance of the Gaulish axemen.

Jagger
10-23-2004, 05:41
Ok, high hopes dashed.

I ended up using warbirds warband work as the base TGA. I renamed the file as unit_barb_warband_longshielde.tga. Here is the final unit description in the descr_model_battle file.

type barb_infantry_longshield_axemen
skeleton fs_swordman, ;
indiv_range 40
texture gauls, data/models_unit/textures/unit_barb_warband_longshielde.tga
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_german_axe_high.cas, 8
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_german_axe_med.cas, 15
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_german_axe_low.cas, 30
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_barb_warband_german_axe_lowest.cas, max

I discovered that the model_flexi data are based on Cas files. Apparantly, you need to reference actual files using the weapons. So I used warbirds TGA with the German axe CAS files. I found some other units using this same process. It should work-I think.

Here is the export_descr_unit description I used:

type warband axe gaul
dictionary barb_infantry_gaul ; Warband
category infantry
class heavy
voice_type Light_1
soldier barb_infantry_longshield_axemen, 50, 0, 1.2
officer barb_standard
attributes sea_faring, hide_improved_forest
formation 1.2, 1.2, 2.4, 2.4, 4, square
stat_health 1, 0
stat_pri 9, 7, no, 0, 0, melee, blade, piercing, axe, 25 ,0.75
stat_pri_attr no
stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, no, no, none, 25 ,1
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 3, 2, 2, leather
stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh
stat_heat 2
stat_ground 2, -2, 3, 2
stat_mental 9, impetuous, untrained
stat_charge_dist 40
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 1, 340, 170, 50, 70, 450
ownership gauls

The soldier link should be correct.

I also updated the descr_buildings file so the axemen can be built. I referenced the existing barb_infantry_gaul for the export_units.txt and 'export_descr_unit_enums dictionary references rather than write new ones now.

Of course, it crashes on load every time. I can only guess the problem lies in a mismatch between the TGA file and CAS files. Although the problem could be anywhere.

After many hours on this, I am taking a break...any ideas out there where the problem may lie?

Jagger
10-23-2004, 05:49
I wonder if there could be a mismatch between the longshield of the warband TGA and the smaller shield of the german axeman CAS?

tombom
10-23-2004, 07:31
The GIMP is better: www.gimp.org .

Jagger
10-23-2004, 15:58
Thanks Tombom for the reference. I will check it out.

The problem is definitely in the descr_model_battle file. Everything is working in campaign up to the point of loading a battle with the new Gaul axemen. It appears there is a mismatch between the TGA and CAS files. I even got an error message by putting in a fictional CAS file. And if I simply substitute all the german axe statistics into the file name Gaulish axemen, it works fine. It is when I stick in the new TGA, the file crashes on battle load up.

I know the same CAS files can be used with a variety of TGA files and even TGAs of different nationalities. For example, the barb warband uses the same CAS files for Gaul, Briton and Dacian warband TGAs. However it appears TGA's must match up with the proper CAS files.

I think I have to find a Gaul TGA that matches with the German axemen CAS files.

No luck so far.

It is funny. I tried doing a search on CAS files and no one has discussed them at all.

Jagger
10-23-2004, 16:29
Success! I stuck in a swordsmen tga with the german axemen CAS. It works.

Which is exactly what Itkotw said in his first response. I guess I have to learn the hard way....

Shamus
10-25-2004, 15:28
I tried the method that itkotw mentioned in post #2, for adding units. It worked, but had some side effects I could not explain. Not only did my faction get the units I added, but so did some others. For instance, I added (to the Greeks), Dacian falxmen, Carthaginian elephants, and Seleucid cataphracts. Now in the custom battle section, the Thacians can train two different kinds of falxmen, cataphracts and war elephants. Dacia however, can still only train its original units. Carthage is unaltered, but the Seleucids can train falxmen, and two versions of the same type of war elephant. Because Thrace can’t build the necessary buildings, they don’t get the cats or elephants in the campaign.

Any ideas of why this happened, and how I can fix it? Anyone have this happen to them?

-edit-

I just realized what the problem was. Apparently, if you use the name "greek" in the _desrc_unit, and _descr_buildings files, the game will give all greek-based factions (Seleucids, Thracians, etc.) that unit. Use the name "greek_cities" and the problem goes away.

Kaiser
11-13-2004, 09:53
So far all that you've guys mentioned here has helped me A LOT.

Yet when I try to fight a battle with my army that has a Hoplite Spartan unit which I edited to play on the side of the Macedons, it ALWAYS crashes.

So far, I think I've edited all of the required files correctly, here they are :-

export_descr_unit

type greek hoplite spartan
dictionary greek_hoplite_spartan ; Spartan Hoplites
category infantry
class spearmen
voice_type Medium_1
soldier greek_hoplite_spartan_pylos, 40, 0, 1.3
officer roman_centurion
officer roman_standard
attributes sea_faring, hide_forest, can_sap, very_hardy
formation 1, 1, 2, 2, 5, square, phalanx
stat_health 2, 0
stat_pri 16, 8, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, spear, 25 ,1
stat_pri_attr spear
stat_sec 16, 4, no, 0, 0, melee, simple, piercing, sword, 25 ,1
stat_sec_attr no
stat_pri_armour 3, 9, 5, leather
stat_sec_armour 0, 1, flesh
stat_heat 2
stat_ground 2, 0, 0, 0
stat_mental 14, disciplined, highly_trained
stat_charge_dist 30
stat_fire_delay 0
stat_food 60, 300
stat_cost 2, 1220, 460, 130, 190, 1220
ownership greek_cities, macedon

export_descr_buildings

building barracks
{
levels muster_field militia_barracks city_barracks army_barracks royal_barracks
{
muster_field requires factions { barbarian, ct_carthage, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, }
{
capability
{
recruit "carthaginian city militia" 0 requires factions { spain, }
recruit "barb infantry briton" 0 requires factions { britons, }
recruit "barb infantry dacian" 0 requires factions { dacia, }
recruit "barb infantry gaul" 0 requires factions { gauls, }
recruit "warband spear german" 0 requires factions { germans, }
recruit "barb horse archers scythian" 0 requires factions { scythia, }
recruit "carthaginian city militia" 0 requires factions { carthage, }
recruit "numidian javelinmen" 0 requires factions { numidia, }
recruit "east infantry" 0 requires factions { eastern, }
recruit "egyptian nubian spearmen" 0 requires factions { egyptian, }
recruit "greek hoplite militia" 0 requires factions { greek, }
recruit "roman city militia" 0 requires factions { roman, }
}
construction 2
cost 600
settlement_min town
upgrades
{
militia_barracks
}
}
militia_barracks requires factions { barbarian, ct_carthage, eastern, parthia, egyptian, greek, roman, }
{
capability
{
recruit "carthaginian infantry" 0 requires factions { spain, }
recruit "warband sword briton" 0 requires factions { britons, }
recruit "warband sword gaul" 0 requires factions { gauls, }
recruit "warband axe german" 0 requires factions { germans, }
recruit "warband axe scythian" 0 requires factions { scythia, }
recruit "warband falx dacian" 0 requires factions { dacia, }
recruit "carthaginian infantry" 0 requires factions { carthage, }
recruit "numidian desert warriors" 0 requires factions { numidia, }
recruit "east hillmen" 0 requires factions { eastern, }
recruit "egyptian nile infantry" 0 requires factions { egyptian, }
recruit "greek levy pikemen" 0 requires factions { seleucid, macedon, }
recruit "warband falx thracian" 0 requires factions { thrace, }
recruit "greek hoplite" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "roman hastati" 0 requires factions { roman, } and not marian_reforms
recruit "roman infantry auxillia" 0 requires factions { roman, } and marian_reforms
}
construction 3
cost 1200
settlement_min large_town
upgrades
{
city_barracks
}
}
city_barracks requires factions { barbarian, ct_carthage, armenia, pontus,, egyptian, greek, roman, }
{
capability
{
recruit "spanish scutarii" 0 requires factions { spain, }
recruit "barb warguard gaul" 0 requires factions { gauls, }
recruit "barb warguard briton" 0 requires factions { britons, }
recruit "barb warguard dacian" 0 requires factions { dacia, }
recruit "warband dhaxe german" 0 requires factions { germans, }
recruit "warband axe scythian" 1 requires factions { scythia, }
recruit "numidian desert warriors" 1 requires factions { numidia, }
recruit "carthaginian medium infantry" 0 requires factions { carthage, }
recruit "east heavy infantry" 0 requires factions { armenia, }
recruit "east hoplite" 0 requires factions { pontus, }
recruit "egyptian infantry" 0 requires factions { egyptian, }
recruit "greek hoplite" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "greek pikemen" 0 requires factions { thrace, seleucid, macedon, }
recruit "greek hoplite elite" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "greek hoplite elite" 0 requires factions { macedon, }
recruit "roman infantry auxillia" 0 requires factions { roman, } and marian_reforms
recruit "roman princeps" 0 requires factions { roman, } and not marian_reforms
recruit "roman legionary cohort i" 0 requires factions { roman, } and marian_reforms
}
construction 4
cost 2400
settlement_min city
upgrades
{
army_barracks
}
}
army_barracks requires factions { ct_carthage, armenia, pontus,, egyptian, greek, roman, }
{
capability
{
recruit "carthaginian heavy infantry" 0 requires factions { carthage, }
recruit "numidian legionaries" 0 requires factions { numidia, }
recruit "east hoplite brazen shield" 0 requires factions { pontus, }
recruit "east legionary" 0 requires factions { armenia, }
recruit "egyptian elite guards" 0 requires factions { egyptian, }
recruit "greek hoplite" 1 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "greek pikemen" 0 requires factions { seleucid, macedon, }
recruit "greek royal pikemen" 0 requires factions { macedon, }
recruit "greek silver shield pikemen" 0 requires factions { seleucid, }
recruit "greek hoplite spartan" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "greek hoplite spartan" 0 requires factions { macedon, }
recruit "greek bastarnae" 0 requires factions { thrace, }
recruit "roman legionary cohort i" 0 requires factions { roman, } and marian_reforms
recruit "roman triarii" 0 requires factions { roman, } and not marian_reforms
recruit "roman legionary cohort ii" 0 requires factions { roman, } and marian_reforms
}
construction 6
cost 4800
settlement_min large_city
upgrades
{
royal_barracks
}
}
royal_barracks requires factions { seleucid, roman, }
{
capability
{
recruit "carthaginian heavy infantry" 0 requires factions { carthage, }
recruit "numidian legionaries" 0 requires factions { numidia, }
recruit "east hoplite brazen shield" 0 requires factions { pontus, }
recruit "east legionary" 0 requires factions { armenia, }
recruit "egyptian elite guards" 0 requires factions { egyptian, }
recruit "greek hoplite" 1 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "greek pikemen" 0 requires factions { seleucid, macedon, }
recruit "greek royal pikemen" 0 requires factions { macedon, }
recruit "greek silver shield pikemen" 0 requires factions { seleucid, }
recruit "greek hoplite spartan" 0 requires factions { greek_cities, }
recruit "greek hoplite spartan" 0 requires factions { macedon, }
recruit "greek bastarnae" 0 requires factions { thrace, }
recruit "greek argyraspid" 0 requires factions { seleucid, }
recruit "roman triarii" 0 requires factions { roman, } and not marian_reforms
recruit "roman legionary cohort ii" 0 requires factions { roman, } and marian_reforms
recruit "roman praetorian cohort urban i" 0 requires factions { roman, }
}
construction 7
cost 9600
settlement_min huge_city
upgrades
{
}
}
}
plugins
{
}
}

descr_model_battle

type greek_hoplite_spartan_pylos
skeleton fs_spearman, fs_swordsman
indiv_range 40
texture greek_cities, data/models_unit/textures/greek_hoplite_spartan_pylos_greece.tga
texture macedon, data/models_unit/textures/greek_hoplite_spartan_pylos_greece.tga
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_greek_spartan_hoplite_pylos_400.cas, 8
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_greek_spartan_hoplite_pylos_300.cas, 15
model_flexi_m data/models_unit/unit_greek_spartan_hoplite_pylos_200.cas, 30
model_flexi data/models_unit/unit_greek_spartan_hoplite_pylos_100.cas, max
model_sprite greek_cities, 60.0, data/sprites/greek_hoplite_spartan_pylos_sprite.spr
model_sprite macedon, 60.0, data/sprites/greek_hoplite_spartan_pylos_sprite.spr

I have a feeling it has something to do with an error within the descr_model_battle file, yet I just can't put my finger on it yet.

Btw, is that all the files tht I need to edit in order to make a unit available to a faction that does not originally own it.

Thanks.

GodsPetMonkey
11-13-2004, 10:40
You dont need to make any changes to the model file at all.

If you just change the ownership in the units file, you can hire them in custom battles, and edit the building file so you can build them, and they are hireable in the campaign game. You have done both of these, so it should be fine!

If you leave the model file alone, they will run just fine (but use greek colours, not a problem for spartans as they are mostly red anyway!)