PDA

View Full Version : You opinion on the film \"Shogun\"

Draksen
02-05-2001, 10:53
I just want to know what is you opinion on this film with R. Chamberlain ?

Have you ever read the original book from J. Clavel ?

I have, and I like both.
Great "non japanese" samurai film/book.
No ?

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/draksen/doragon.jpg
Kazamatsuri clan
www.geocities.com/draksen (http://www.geocities.com/draksen)

solypsist
02-05-2001, 12:01
I'm loathe to give my opinion since I'm well aware that Hach really likes it, but it was not very good. I had seen the miniseries as a small child but the movie squashes everything into two hours and so we have a movie where lots of guys run around in Samurai armor but have no battles onscreen, seppuku is threatened but never executed (pardon the pun), and the Jesuit missionaries are merely background. If you've seen the entire miniseries (at least according to my memory) it's a much better ride. But the movie right now should be avoided by STW gamers looking for a movie that will excite them about playing the game.

FwSeal
02-05-2001, 13:14
I read Shogun a long time ago, and really enjoyed it. Not exactly a spot-on in terms of historical accuracy, but it was a hell of a page-turner. The mini-series was a lot of fun but, as Soly says, the movie probably isn't worth seeing unless you have read the book (and the mini-series isn't available). I seem to remember that the only notable thing about the movie was a scene with Mariko in the nude...

Zen Blade
02-05-2001, 13:35
A scene which is usually not very revealing on US television! : )

I thought the mini-series was interesting. I thought they did a good job talking about the politics and illustrating the difference in cultures and the conviction of people's beliefs. -the christian vs. buddhist followers for example-
Of course, some things were over-romanticized, but that's ok.

The politics are especially interesting in the mini-series if you know the historical references, which we talked about here.... a while ago I believe. Someone (or a couple of people) were nice enough to more or less write a legend as to who all the characters were supposed to be.
--the important ones being Ieyasu, the Hosokawa-Akechi connection, and some other stuff which I don't particularly remember, but I believe the scene of Ishida raiding Osaka castle to take hostages is in the movie (it was Osaka, right Seal?)

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG

ShaiHulud
02-05-2001, 17:04
There were two versions of the original mini-series, with the second being narrated by Orson Welles. That was for the benefit of most people for, tho the book was a best-seller, few Americans actually read books and thus knew nothing of the story. If you've seen the mini the movie will be a dissapointment.
The Japanese, as I've read, didn't think much of the mini-series. The idea that a prominent Samurai lady (Mariko) would dally with a foreigner, especially when married, they found rediculous. They also found laughable that the gaijin would figure so prominently in Japanese intrigues.
I used to have the mini having copied it when it was shown on TV. Guess I watched it about 10 times and that's a lot of viewing.

------------------
Wind fells blossoms, rain
fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks

FwSeal
02-06-2001, 10:17
ShaiHulud, I remember reading about the Japanese opinion of the mini-series. As you say, they weren't too pleased with the completed project. I do think the biggest reason was Blackthorne's prominent role. They also cited historical inaccuracy, but, if you've ever seen a taiga drama, they themselves can be fast and loose with history.
Actually, in the novel, Clavell brought up a very interesting - and discerning - 'what if'. That regarded the actual parentage of Toyotomi Hideyori (afraid I can remember his name in the book), the late Taiko Hideyoshi's son. Clavell writes that the lady Yodo had actually gotten herself pregnant with another man to provide the childless Taiko with an heir. That's a very interesting idea. After all, Hideyoshi, reknowned for his penchant for young women, didn't produce a child until 1589 - right around the time that the need for an heir became pressing. That first son died in 1592... and a replacement (Hideyori) arrives most fortuitously that same year. Hideyoshi certainly doted on the young Hideyori and clearly thought of the boy as his son. Hideyori may well have been his son... but Clavell's theory is, I think, a very astute one.

Zen Blade
02-06-2001, 13:48
But, did Clavell correctly discern as to why Yodo-gimi did it???

I all think we know why.... but just for those of you who may be new... she obviously planned on resurrecting the old Asai clan-name and exacting revenge upon those who destroyed her father and clan... : )

ok, maybe not. But, that would be a cool tale if you ask me.

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG

Minagawa Daimon
02-09-2001, 09:56
the movie didnt do justice to the greatness of the novel, im sad that the movie didnt even come close to the beauty of the story.

Choco
02-11-2001, 08:07
The miniserie was OK because it was fun and interesting even if it was groosly innacurate in Historical and cultural terms.