PDA

View Full Version : Macedon : Total War

themonkey
10-19-2004, 21:49
Macedon: Total War!
This is a Mod in which i plan to make it based in Greece and will have a map similar to Hellenic Total war's
but will also include some of Eygpt and South Italy and Syracuse.

As the Name Suggests this mod is based around the Land of Macedon.
So I would like anyone's help in The Macedonian Factions,which will be rather like the House of Jullii,House of Brutii and House of Scipii but of course their Macedonian!

I hope to still have Some romans i n it but i don't want to include the "Gauis Mauis" Event which reforms the Military for Rome.

Also I'm lost for the Macedonian "Senate" - I was thinking one of the Greek's Greater States - Like Athens or Lakedemoni (Spartans)

Anyone who would help on this is welcome to post here with their Advice and/or Help!,It would be great if some people actually did work with me on this as i'm a Total Newbie to Modding Rome : Total War

I Would love if someone could just change the .tga.dds to .tga's for me and back to .tga.dds when Necessary.

themonkey
10-20-2004, 21:41
This is Basically the Map i want to make for this mod:

http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/ConciseMacedonia/timeli14.gif

themonkey
10-20-2004, 21:42
or would this be more suitable:
http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/ConciseMacedonia/timeli23.gif

jtchris
10-30-2004, 07:44
Well, if CA approaches the RTW expansion as they did MTW, I'm betting a fair number of dollars - at least $49.95 ;-) - that Alexander will be it. They'd be silly to not move in that direction, IMHO.

So this might be one of those unfortunate mods that would be superceded by the "real thing".

themonkey
11-05-2004, 22:30
Actually i disagree,if CA approaches R:TW same as M:TW,we're gonna be playing as Attila the hun at the fall of rome as this is very alike VI

sunsmountain
11-06-2004, 12:05
Well, if CA decides to take that route i for one will NOT be buying it. A Macedon total war mod is the easiest to make of ALL the mods, imo. It would be pretty lame if CA did it, being the experts.

Simply changing the colors, descriptions and map is more than enough to create an Alexander the Great campaign. All the graphics are there already. Greek CS would have cavalry this time (I wouldn't split them into three), Persia would be huge :).

Let the map have fewer settlements, make it a good campaign for a few factions. Don't bite off more than you can chew.

themonkey
11-07-2004, 20:53
yes i do actually plan to change the map a bit so it's smaller but macedon must be abt 3 regions to be made up of

and: I'd not buy a macedon expansion but i'd love a one set with the huns

themonkey
11-08-2004, 20:09
Well i'm running inot a problem:
When i give the Julii the Militia Hoplites it crashes

Renown
11-09-2004, 06:40
Ok, I'd be interesting in helping out, but only if we rearranged certain things.

One, there is no macedon senate, nor should anything try and replace it.

At the time of Philip II, Macedonia was a land ruled by a King who ruled via personal power.

By Alexander's time, it was much the same. The only thing that could possibly give missions, etc.. would be perhaps Aristotle who taught Alexander, or...

you could play as a general of Alexander, and he gives you missions.. which is also highly unrealistic and unhistorical.

Alexander was first and formost a soldier. He ruled by example, he rarely gave generals the leave to conquer places on their own (mainly sieges, or policing)

In my thought a Macedonia mod would go as such...

Time Period- ca 510-264

The period covers the Argead King Aymntas I, Argead being the dynasty that ruled Macedonia until Alexander's death (one dynasty ruled for approx 200 years, no small feat) until the beginning of the first punic war, where Rome really starts to figure into it.

Factions that should be present- I am a student in Ancient Western History, I could do more research into this area to be more specific... but this is a general outline.

Argead Kingdom- the realm of Macedonia. (Macedonian Kings ruled by personal power, they represented themselves and their army, not really the land, or people they controlled/dominated. (a protectorate of the Persian Empire)

Grecian City-states- including
Athens- a City which was at 510, ruled by a form of democracy, wealthy landowning individuals were citizens, and ran the government. Wealthy citizens formed the Cavalry, middle-class or normal citizens formed the bulk of the army in the form of Hoplites, and the rest of society filled in places in the navy (slaves/foreigners), slingers/archers (mainly thetes- lower class citizens, or residents of Athens who were citizens.) Metes (foreigners) had much greater range of movement and served in cavalry, support roles, or such, were mainly mercs. At 510, Athens would be nominally powerful, and have several island protectorates. Would start off with a rather large navy, very small land force, made up of some cavalry/hoplites and mercs.

Sparta- I know less about Sparta, though it was not a democracy. Instead it was ruled somewhat similarly to Macedonia, yet by several elders/kings instead of one definitive ruler. It's army was at the time, one of the greatest (due to training rather then equipment). Would start off with a small army made up of mostly hoplites, and a very small fleet.

Thebes,Thessaly, Corinth, Argos, Olympia, Eretria, Miletus- on the coast of Asia Minor (must rebel at 499, and start a war between Grecian city states and Persia)

Persian Empire, or the Empire of Iran & Non-Iran

Controls at the start, all of Asia Minor, Egypt, ancient Iraq/Iran and the Hindu Kush Mountain region (Bactria) and parts of north-western India.
EXTREMELY large army, though spread out. (Tactics/quality could be figured out later), Rather large navy.

*MUST figure out how protectorates work, if they aid/help enough in supplying troops/ships, then these would be the best options for Egypt and some other parts of the Persian Empire that had some autonomous control, and broke off during our time line*

**Must find out whether or not factions can emerge in the game, as they were able to in MTW, would be useful to code in rebellions with some set conditions that start a new faction/ God knows Paradox entertainment games are great for this sort of thing**

Map- Must figure out how large a realistic map can be. If possible, a map *that would of course need to be very small on the minimap, or at least scrollable* covering Greece to north-west india, and as south as sudan/perhaps ethiopia, would be useful.

This time period could also contain several historical battles, one of which I am currently working on for a project, The Last Stand of King Leonidas (wouldn't mind any tips/assistance on creating this as well)

Thoughts are Roaring by.

Renown

dclare4
11-09-2004, 10:02
Particularly with Colin Farrell's movie coming out some time soon. The buying public will probably say, 'Who the heck is Attilla anyway' - I mean with the Vikings you get a ton of cultural references and movies from Hagar the Horrible to Erik the Red and Leif Erikkson. Attilla is Brumhilda's cat for all they know.

Clare

themonkey
11-09-2004, 19:49
Well Colin Farel is a dub and wrong person to play alexander.

And yes i don't think i could find anything to replace the senate but in the campiagn if the senate falls no misssions are given so maybe i could use this to take out the senate

I was reading up about macedonia and i read that they were far less advanced than the greeks in the Periods you depict and i do not no how to represent this,
i may need to make a completely new Macedonian Tech Tree to make this thought come through.

Yes and Persia would need to be major players in this mod as Macedonians and Greeks alike saw persia as an imminant threat and the Persian wars should be at least a trigger in the Campaign ,but how to do this i'm not sure.

Renown
11-09-2004, 21:22
Less advanced... well simply give them units which use the horde function instead of phalanxs... or just change their attack/defense modifiers...

I must say... if you make a mod during this time, it would require completely new, everythings..

Silver Rusher
11-09-2004, 21:39
I don't get why nobody here takes into account the fact that making a mod without the senate is impossible when they say that kind of thing. A suggestion for a senate:

OK, I can't think of one.

At all.

damn it... seems you're gonna be a bit stuck here. Why not come back to CTW where you belong?

themonkey
11-09-2004, 21:41
Actually Renown , the macedonians used the phalanx most but not until later which i don't think i can do , but maybe i could get it to work somehow

What i could do could be somehow to get someone to invade the senate at the start of the game.

And Finally Rusher i'm not out of CTW as this is only planning of this mod

Renown
11-10-2004, 00:15
I was unaware of the particulars of the modding in idea with the senate..

Persia could then use the senate.. have it as an Imperial rule type thing... Emperor gives orders (if possible)

themonkey
11-10-2004, 17:01
Renown that's a brilliant idea ,or the Greeks could use a senate of the cities Leaders.but for this to set in historically i'd have to move forward the mod a few hundred years

Renown
11-11-2004, 02:15
If you advance the time period

Could form an Achean League or such..

Make Athens the Senate. And make certain citystates, in the league, follow Athen's orders. (or if possible edit the map so a city can be formed near athens or something, and call it the league capital, not exactly historical... but it would fit to some degree... as Athens itself was lead by a small group (democracy heh!) of people.

themonkey
11-11-2004, 19:12
Here is who io think should be Playable Factions:

Macedonia
Tracia
Illyria
Persia
Sparta
Corinth
Aetolia
Egypt(most likely)
India (don't have a clue of the Empires who led these )

If you think anyone else should be playable and tell me so

Renown
11-11-2004, 20:56
There were several local indian king's, but the most famous was Porus, could make him the leader.

Arabia should be a seperate nation with wealthy coastal provinces, plus very LARGE and DANGEROUS desert provinces inland. (Unlike some common misconceptions, Arabia was never conquered by Alexander, he only planned to take it.

What time line are we going with? So I may recommend others or such..

themonkey
11-12-2004, 19:41
I believe the only Dates i should use would be:
490 : After Darius Invades and fails
480 : Xerxes Attacks greece ,and fails

Accounting Troll
11-12-2004, 20:31
In view of the time period you are considering, have you thought about a Phoenican Senate? The Phoenicians were a loose collection of allied city states who controlled much of the Mediterranean by around 500 BC. The cities of Tyre, Sidon and important colonies like Carthage and Lilybaeum could be seperate Phoenician factions.

You would probably need the map to extend as far west as Sicily and modern Tunisia, and the Mediterranean region should have small coastal provinces and large inlnd provinces.

Bacchon
11-12-2004, 23:20
Suggestion for the senate and/or other Roman factions if you don't want them in the way:

Just give them one-unit armies at the beginning of the game with no cities, and they will immediatly die off at the beginning of the first turn, thus fulfilling the need to have them in the game, while removing all the hardcoded mechanics that come with them. You will get "Faction Destroyed" messages every time, but that's no big deal. Even though you lose 4 factions, you're still left with 16 to work with, which should be lots for a map this size.

The other thing to consider is the victory condition of conquering Rome. I would suggest you make Rome the Macedonian capital, that way they don't have to worry about it, while the other factions must take it in order to stave off the conquering Macedonians. Or make it the Persian capital, to insure AI Macedonians will concentrate on conquering the Persians (in theory), and making playing as the Macedonians a little more historical.

Cheers,

Bacchon

-edit-

Oh, and another thing. If you end up using the Roman factions (perhaps as the Phoenicians as Accouting Troll seems to suggest), you can avoid the Marius Reforms event by disallowing the Imperial Palace, which it's tied to. To maintain the same tech-tree, just create a new building that is exactly identical to the Imperial Palace, except called something else.

-further edit-

Gah, check my post here. (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=629610#post629610)

themonkey
11-13-2004, 20:38
Yes i might use a map similar to the map from Rise of Nations : Thrones and Patriots Alexander The Great Campaign , which streches from Carthage,Italy,Sicily to India and China

This gives me these factions:
Romans
Macedonia
Greek cities (not one faction but seperate )
Thrace
Persia
Pheonican States
Indian Tribes (at the moment one faction )

And other Rebel Factions such as Chinese

:duel:

Roman Units:
rome will be all Pre- Gais Miauis Event Units so same tech tree but without imperial palace.

Accounting Troll
11-15-2004, 20:22
Sorry for not sending this information in a PM, but I kept getting an error message come up when I tried.

I've looked into the Phoecinian tech tree, and I don't think it will present any real problems. I dipped into Herodotus and a couple of other books of mine, and I found a lot of information about the phoecinians at www.phoenicia.org

The Phoenicians should have the same culture and architectual style as the Carthaginians. Their technology tree should be the same except for the following changes:

Phoenicia and Carthage had the same religion, however the Phoenician name for Tanit was Astarte. Baal, Melqart and Astarte were the main Phoenician deities and they had the same responsibilities as they had in Carthage. Melqart was the patron deity of Tyre, so it would be historically accurate if Tyre starts off with a shrine or temple to Melqart.

The Phoenicians should be able to upgrade awsome temples to pantheons. This is because each city liked to cater to the spiritual needs of foreign traders, and the Phoecinian religion both influenced and was influenced by the religions of Greece, Egypt, Mesopotamia and the Caananites.

The execution square and its upgrades should be replaced with a Greek style odeon and its upgrades for two reasons:
- Like other propogandists, classical Greek writers liked to exaggerate stories of despotic rule in Persia and its satellites. Phoenicia was an intellectual and trading centre, something you wouldn't get with a secret police causing people who say the wrong thing to 'dissappear'.
- Phoenicia is now known to have had a strong literary tradition. The majority of their literature involved religion, but some of it was intended as entertainment.

I think it would probably be a good idea if the Phoenicians and the other civilized factions have the ability to upgrade roads to highways, otherwise it will be too difficult to conquer and administrate an empire the size of Persia.

The Phoenician army should not have any heavy infantry or heavy cavalry, so they should not be able to build the level five barracks, stable or archery range.

The classical writers don't seem to have had much to say about the Phoecinian army between 500BC and the time of Alexander the Great. They did breed elephants, but I don't know if they intended to use them in war or just as beasts of burden. They did use chariots, along with almost everybody else in the near east. The chariots would have been used in a frontal assault on the enemy battle line at the beginning of the battle to disrupt their formation before the infantry clashed, and not to hit the enemy flank or rear. Charioteers seem to have been regarded as unglamarous auxiliaries at this time.

The Phoecinians should have below average cavalry and infantry - they should have to depend on numbers to beat Macedonian pikemen and heavy cavalry. The lack of arable land made horse farming difficult for the Phoecinians anyway.

The main Phoecinian settlements should be able to build triremes from the beginning of the campaign, and they should start with a decent number of ships.

The Phoecinians should be able to recruit a large selection of mercenaries in their homeland as historically their army seems to have been heavily dependent on mercenaries.

Renown
11-16-2004, 00:02
Phoenicia would not be a good choice.

Phoenicia was never one single territory, instead it was a bunch of city-states, kind of like Greece, though they focused more on trade, then anything else.

Their armies were weak, and easily beaten, for they relied mostly on their navy.

When they were actually attacked, they fell easily. They fell so easily, and quickly, that a visiting official from one of their colonies, saw and took note.

He ran back home and informed his colony that their home-city, was now under control of another power. This colony then began to develop its own military and even more advanced navy, of course, the colony was Carthage.

Phoenicia thus was never a single power, and were extremely weak.. they would be pointless to have due to the fact that gameplay would require them to be heavily modded against historical accuracy.

dclare4
11-16-2004, 03:50
The Senate I think doesn't need to be a senate in the Roman sense per se but even just faction thats superior in hierarchy like it could be run by Philip of Macedon and you can play Alexander or conversely it could be run by Alexander and you can take the role of one of the Diadochi.

just a thought,
Clare

Al Khalifah
11-16-2004, 11:50
How about this setup as an idea with factions in their groups along with their 'token' unit if applicable.

DELIAN FACTIONS
-------
Corinth
Athens
Thebes (Sacred Band)
The Delian factions are all similar in their foundation of a Hoplite core designed to win battles in the meat grinder with lighter auxilaries to protect their flanks. Their navies should be first rate. Essentially these factions are to replace the 3 Roman factions from the vanilla game. A senate faction would be some embodiment of the Delian League that was created for mutual defence after the defeats of the Persians.

GREEK FACTIONS
-------
Lakedaemon (Enomita)
Very small but very powerful army composed of Spartans with Helot auxilaries. VERY limitted cavalry if any.
Macedon (Macedonian Phalanx)
Weak, almost Barbarian style low level units, but an excellent upper tech tree as Macedon was a culture that became civilised over this period. Pike phalanx and Macedonian phalanx (superior to others). Excellent medium cavalry. Not much archery but should have excellent anti-building siege engines.
Latinium (Legion)
Again, a weak low level tech tree that peaks on the higher levels with the early Roman legionary troops (as in Pre-Marian Reform).
(Phoenecia)
If required should have superior navy and combine the Greek unit style with middle-eastern and African unit types - although not high level units of either.

EASTERN
-------
India (Indian War Elephant)
Exotic tribesmen units with war elephants.
Persia (Immortals)
Vast range of units reflecting the vast range of territories that this empire controlled although distinctly lacking in armoured troops or heavy infantry. Good light cavalry, elephants and archery.

OTHERS FOR CONSIDERATION
-------
Thracia
Illyria
Aetolia
Arabia

Renown
11-16-2004, 15:39
I still dont like the idea of Phoenicia.

Most of the territory around/near their cities wasn't even theirs.

I think Egypt would be a good addition, though a province of Persia, they were rather autonomous.

Thracia and Illyria are a must, and remember, at least atm Macedonia is the #1 power we should focus on, so their traditional enemies needs to be included.

The Rough One
11-16-2004, 22:53
The Persians should be used as the roman replacement with Babylon as the Senate hq with some Smaller Factions led by families of Officials answering to the King I.E Senate.

Also plzz use the First map themonkey plzz as it more correct.

Looking forwards to the mod.
~:cheers: ~:cheers: :charge: :duel:

Al Khalifah
11-17-2004, 18:04
Here's the area you seem to want to cover (though I'd extend it slightly westwards to give you Rome as well).

http://www.utexas.edu/courses/clubmed/92908dariusmap.jpg

The factions list could be as I said before, though the Nubians, Rus, Scythians and Sarmatians could also be added to that list to stop Persia being TOO much of a superpower in the East.

Hope you can make some definate decisions soon.

themonkey
11-17-2004, 20:57
Thanks Al Kalifah ,what you said is uuseful
but do you have any concept art of these factions?

Actually Al kalifah you're map is perfect and need not be extended

Al Khalifah
11-18-2004, 11:29
Because of the nature of this mod, quite a lot of the 'concept' art is already in the game. The advantage of this mod over the more Totally Converted mods is that it will be possible to build a reasonable looking working model of quite a few of the factions while only having to slightly scratch the surface of possible modification. A lot of the later units are already in the game (as early units).
This will allow the game mechanics to take priority at first with a vast host of other units to be added later for non-covered factions.

Some ideas though. Macedon should use this symbol:
http://www.mymacedonia.net/ancient/images/sonce.jpg
The Argead Star, rather than the Greek letter in the vanilla game for two reasons. 1) Its far more accurate and better and they are the title faction 2) If you choose to include the Spartans then they should use the Lamba symbol and the two would look too similar.

Athenians:
http://www.classicistltd.com/Gallery/images/ATHENA-3''_jpg.jpg

Rosacrux redux
11-18-2004, 15:05
I think this would make for a great mod - it has potential - but there are several problems. There seems to be a lack of targeting. You seem to aim for a "macedonian" mod, but If you start a bit before or around the Persian wars, the Macedonian Greeks won't survive the first decade, as they were only a minor player of the Greek world for the whole 5th century BC. During this timeframe, the two great players are Athens (Athenian confederation, with all Aegean Islands, most Ionian cities and many others) and Sparta (Peloponesean league). Both Greek powers outmatched even the Persian mega-empire during this timeframe and only their mutual destruction during the Peloponesian war has given the chance to secondary Greek powers (like Macedonia in the Balkans and Syracusae in the West) to rise and become the strongest Greek states. This process fulfilled it's potential with Philipos and Alexandros and the creation of the huge hellenistic world.

You cannot - with the current game mechanics - portray such a vast geopolitical switch. You could if you were modding a Paradox game (yes, I am a great fan of all of them, although after 6 months of intensive Victoria playing, I am solely playing RTW now, due to lack of enough free time) but not RTW.

So, if you want a historical Macedonian Mod, you have to start later (around the end of the Peloponesian war, maybe, something like 410 BC), and allow the Macedonian to become gradually a superpower and challenge their Greek kinsmen to the south.

Otherwise, you can opt for an even later start (372 or such) to have three Greek confederations (centered around Theba, Sparta and Athens) a fourth centered around Syracusae (holder of 3/4 of Sicily and half of southern Italy, at around 380 BC) and the two Greek kingdoms of the North (Macedonia and Epirus) with the first becoming very strong by that time.

A third option would be to start a few years later, when Philipos rose to power in Macedonia. You could then have the Macedonians being extremely strong from the start, while the weakened Persian empire wouldn't pose a threat for the determined player (in the 5th century Persia was still THE superpower, despite having lost the wars against the Greeks - the Greeks controlled only a 5% of former Persian territory, namely the Asia Minor coast which was inhabited by Greeks anyway, and parts of Karia and Lykia inland, with vast hellenized populations).

Anyways, I know it's a tough decision and I know it's gonna be a great mod if you get it going. I can offer some historical advice, if you need one, but very little beside that (I have seized aiding with the Hellenic TW because of lack of free time).

Good luck!

themonkey
11-18-2004, 19:48
Yeh i spotted that problem while reading through Macedon's History last night and say around 5TH Century BC Macedon was all but swallowed into a Greek State so i will probably have to change the starting date
Kalifah ,i had that symbol thing sorted out before but thanks for the athenean symbol

Al Khalifah
11-18-2004, 23:17
The best start date IMHO would be 367. In 367, Perdiccas III had taken the throne after killing his own brother King Ptolemy. Perdicass III's other brother was Philip II father of Alexander the Great (unfortunately he cannot be accurately included from the start in this setup as he was born 3 years after his uncles death).

The Greek city states were weakenned by this point but by no means anaemic. Macedon was by no means dominant at this point, there had been 5 kings and a civil war in the last 20 years, but was emerging.

Persia was still the dominant force in the world at this point, despite many recent setbacks they would soon reclaim the Greek territories in Asia after this date.

Lots of battles to be fought at this point as the old empires declined and the new ones rise.

Rosacrux redux
11-19-2004, 14:31
The best start date IMHO would be 367. In 367, Perdiccas III had taken the throne after killing his own brother King Ptolemy. Perdicass III's other brother was Philip II father of Alexander the Great (unfortunately he cannot be accurately included from the start in this setup as he was born 3 years after his uncles death).

The Greek city states were weakenned by this point but by no means anaemic. Macedon was by no means dominant at this point, there had been 5 kings and a civil war in the last 20 years, but was emerging.

Persia was still the dominant force in the world at this point, despite many recent setbacks they would soon reclaim the Greek territories in Asia after this date.

Lots of battles to be fought at this point as the old empires declined and the new ones rise.

This starting date is appropriate. You are partly right about the Persian empire too, since they got themselves seriously weakened after 350 BC, trying to put down the Egyptian revolt that swept the land for three decades (come and go) and ended only just before Alexander made his move into Persia.

Truth is that real Macedonian power rose with Philipos (he reformed the military, seized the gold mines to finance his expeditions, tripled the land of his kingdom, secured the northern borders by defeating the Illyrian tribes, subdued the Thracian tribes and "united" the Greeks under his banner - truly an extraordinary ruler).

The Greek city states in 367 were fairly strong (Thebes) not-so-strong (Sparta) or weak (Athens) and only the confederations that formed around this date, had some potential to actually confront the Macedonian power. The Thessalian Greeks had a confederation of sorts, but they were traditional allies of Macedonia and always sided with them in the struggles for the control of the Greek world. In the times of Philipos they became formally and more or less willingly, a part of the Macedonian kingdom.

Al Khalifah
11-19-2004, 15:06
Truth is that real Macedonian power rose with Philipos (he reformed the military, seized the gold mines to finance his expeditions, tripled the land of his kingdom, secured the northern borders by defeating the Illyrian tribes, subdued the Thracian tribes and "united" the Greeks under his banner - truly an extraordinary ruler).
Exactly the reason why I like this start date, because it would let the (Macedonian) player take the head of the Kingdom at the time when it was really beginning to become a dominant force in the world. The Macedonian army was by no means well organised at this point and still contained many barbarian elements that wouldn't be removed until Philips reign. Therefore the challenge for the player would be to fight off the Greek cities allied against him until he/she has developed their military to a point where they can make a real challenge against them as Philip did. The player would also need to (like Philip) secure the gold mines that would start the campaign in Thracian held territory to gain a source of income. From here the player would be in a position to cross the Helespont and challenge the Persian empire. Essentially the player can mold the Argead dynasty in his own graven image.

Macedonia should have some territory but their cities except for the capital should be under-developed.

Players of the Greek factions would be wise to try and destroy the Macedonains before they are able to rise to any real dominance, but there should be enough potential enemies to stop a player from being able to focus enough force on them to totally eradicate the Argeads. The Greek cities should have numerically small, yet strong starting armies. They should also have a limitted amount of territory yet good starting cities.

Persian players should have the same experience as playing the Holy Roman Empire in Medieval - a massive strong Empire but enemies on all sides. Their major cities should be well developed and their armies should be large yet mostly light infantry and archers.

Rosacrux you seem to know your stuff... do you think there should be an indepedant Egyptian faction in this game to represent the rebellious element in the country - the Persians had still not totally subdued the rebellions even by 367. I am unsure because if they are included they are either likely to become too powerful or get annihilated quickly.
Also what about Epirius? Though to leave them out would be unrealistic, chances are they would end up constantly fighting the Macedonians, which just wouldn't have happened - Alexander and Alexander were related and good friends (Alexander The Great's dream of conquering the Rising Sun and Alexander of Epirius conquering the Setting Sun).
Rome???

Rosacrux redux
11-19-2004, 15:50
Exactly the reason why I like this start date, because it would let the (Macedonian) player take the head of the Kingdom at the time when it was really beginning to become a dominant force in the world. The Macedonian army was by no means well organised at this point and still contained many barbarian elements that wouldn't be removed until Philips reign. Therefore the challenge for the player would be to fight off the Greek cities allied against him until he/she has developed their military to a point where they can make a real challenge against them as Philip did. The player would also need to (like Philip) secure the gold mines that would start the campaign in Thracian held territory to gain a source of income. From here the player would be in a position to cross the Helespont and challenge the Persian empire. Essentially the player can mold the Argead dynasty in his own graven image.

Macedonia should have some territory but their cities except for the capital should be under-developed.

Players of the Greek factions would be wise to try and destroy the Macedonains before they are able to rise to any real dominance, but there should be enough potential enemies to stop a player from being able to focus enough force on them to totally eradicate the Argeads. The Greek cities should have numerically small, yet strong starting armies. They should also have a limitted amount of territory yet good starting cities.

Persian players should have the same experience as playing the Holy Roman Empire in Medieval - a massive strong Empire but enemies on all sides. Their major cities should be well developed and their armies should be large yet mostly light infantry and archers.

Rosacrux you seem to know your stuff... do you think there should be an indepedant Egyptian faction in this game to represent the rebellious element in the country - the Persians had still not totally subdued the rebellions even by 367. I am unsure because if they are included they are either likely to become too powerful or get annihilated quickly.
Also what about Epirius? Though to leave them out would be unrealistic, chances are they would end up constantly fighting the Macedonians, which just wouldn't have happened - Alexander and Alexander were related and good friends (Alexander The Great's dream of conquering the Rising Sun and Alexander of Epirius conquering the Setting Sun).
Rome???

Starting from the easy part, Rome. The Roman strenght in the West was not really anything beyond that of a quite strong city state (like, say, Spart in the end of the Peloponesian way - they had a network of allies, consolidated power in their lands and slowly making inroads to other lands. The Spartan effort to "liberate" Asia Minor from the Persian was stopped by the Persian gold - they financed their rivals and started the second large civil strife in Greece, the Korinthian war - but Rome didn't have any Persian empire nearby). I think it is easy to portray this in-game.

I do suggest the inclusion of Syracusae. During the whole 3rd century it was the strongest Greek city state, controlling the largest part of Magna Graecia and being a serious contestant for Carthago, before Rome came into the picture.

Including an Egyptian faction shall give a meaning of life to the endless horde of circus units CA has created for the vanilla game, but little beyond. Give Persia one well developed province of Egypt (to portray that they were the nominal rulers of Egypt) and the rest would serve their purpose better as strong (thous not easy to take out) rebels. That is my opinion, of course. The Egyptians rebelled in the second half of the 5th century every decade or so and from 380 on constantly.

Epirus (Kingdom of Molosses would be an appropriate formal name) can be a medium-sized, completely underdeveloped (thous not dangerous for Macedonia or the city states in the first 10-15 years of the game) state, an ally or even a Macedonian protectorate (is it possible to start a country as protectorate of another?).

Of course, we all know that protectorate is broken...

Al Khalifah
11-19-2004, 16:27
At present it doesn't seem possible to set diplomatic arrangements between the factions pre-game. The only exception to this is that by default: The senate faction and three other factions are all allied. Thought needs to be given over which if any in game factions share this special relationship. The mechanic of it is that:
- There is one controlling faction that cannot expand its territory.
- There are three (or fewer) initially co-operating factions that eventually will fight each other if one becomes too dominant but not until then.
Do any factions of this period have this relationship? The Greek confederations possibly.

themonkey
11-19-2004, 19:33
In the game when playing i have noticed that certain factions are more likely to ally than others so we may be able to use this to make Macedon and Epirus allies early.

themonkey
11-19-2004, 19:40
Macedonian Symbol:

http://www.historyofmacedonia.org/images/macedoniansun.JPG

themonkey
11-19-2004, 19:43
As my signature picture shows ,it would be wrong to think Macedon did not learn from Greece's Greatest Troops ,here showing that a form of hoplite was in use in the macedonian army

Rosacrux redux
11-19-2004, 21:11
As my signature picture shows ,it would be wrong to think Macedon did not learn from Greece's Greatest Troops ,here showing that a form of hoplite was in use in the macedonian army

This looks like a rather fantasy depiction of the Macedonian phalanx, if anything.

Truth is that the Macedonian, despite being Greek, have never utilized hoplite warfare. That wasn't because they couldn't or wouldn't, but because hoplites existed only in city-states: the hoplites were the free citizen with full civil rights and prosperous enough to purchase the basic hoplite gear (thorax, aspis-hoplon, spear and the helmet - greaves were optional usually, even thorax became obsolete later on). The hoplite is tied together with the polis, the Greek model of a city state. Not only Greek cities fielded hoplites (Karian, Lykian, Latin and Carthagenian cities also fielded hoplites - Carthago herself until the times of the Punic wars equipped their free-men fighting force as hoplites) but the Greeks were the best hoplites.

The Macedonian society, being a completely agrarian, sort-of-feudal society (large estates worked by semi-independant subjects, with a "aristocratic" family as landlord) with only very few real cities, did never develop the "polis" ideals and thous never fielded hoplites.

They used some mimick hoplites, but of small value. Their true strength was usually their cavalry (which they developed under the heavy influence of their neighbours Thessalians) and they fielded large numbers of light infantry (skirmishers, peltasts, slingers, mediocre archers).

Philipos was the "creator" of the pike phalanx (although he probably aquired the pike by one of the northern neighbours of Macedonia) but his true genious was the consolidation of a true combined arms system, putting heavy infantry (pikemen - phalangites) light infantry (skirmishers, peltasts, archers) and all sorts of cavalry (light - Prodromoi - and heavy - heteroi) to work effectively together.

The Macedonian army under Alexander utilized southern Greek hoplites and some historians have reasons to believe that the cream of the cream of the Macedonian army (the hypaspists) were armed as hoplites, although most accounts seem to point out that in most battles they operated like standard pike infantry.

As I said, this mod would have great potential, but you have to make things right if you wish to fulfil it's potential.

Al Khalifah

Too bad... then it's going to be rather tough. No, the Greek city states were even the day before Philipos crushed them, divided as always. appr. 1/3 of the Greeks firmly believed Philipos should be the leader of a Greek alliance, while the rest wanted to remain independant city-states, minding their own business.

If you turn those into the "Roman" faction, they'll be too strong to beat combined together. If you make them weak, then it'll be unhistorical, not to mention not fun to play with them.

I'll try to think of alternatives, ok?

Regards

Renown
11-19-2004, 23:35
Well... I have to disagree with the fact that macedonian's never used hoplites..

they in fact did, though they didn't limit their troops like the greeks did, and the Hoplite ideal never had the prominence.

The greek's main hoplite form was Eight ranks deep, and however many men they had, they would then spread them across,

Macedonia had 16 ranks deep, which is why their hoplites won any battle against the greeks.

I got this info from

Eugene N. Borza, In the Shadow of Olympus: The Emergence of Macedon (NJ: Princeton, 1990)

though certainly their hoplites took a back stage outside Greece.

Persia should definetely have a large cavalry force, of elite (impetous) heavy cavalry.

They should have a very high shock value, with a signifigantly lower melee value.

Cavalry was useless in a melee confrontation, their power resided soley in their charge.

This was due to the fact that they simply couldn't stay on their horses in melee battle, they didn't have stirrups, and no stability.

(the lack of stirrups was in every army at this time)

Ellesthyan
11-20-2004, 00:01
Actually it is possible to mod in starting relations between factions: it has been done in Rome: Total Realism 3.2 with the Germans and the Gauls starting at war, the Numidians and the Carthaginians allied, etc. I suggest you check out how they did it.

Al Khalifah
11-20-2004, 01:23
The Macedonians did use standard Hoplites, but this was only because later on they were able to field Greek units as allies. The Macedonain Pike Phalanx did not use standard Hoplite tactics:

The standard Hoplite tactic of the Greek polis was to engage the enemy with light forces and missile troups to weaken them and disrupt their battle line and then to bring the Hoplites to bear at the decisive moment of the battle. The Hoplites would press forward, using their large heavy shields to push the soldiers infront of them forwards while pelting the enemy with thrown spears and trying to inflict melee damage on the enemy using overhand spear thrusts. Essentially, the Hoplite Phalanx would try to inflict non-fatal wounds with spears so that when pushed far enough wounded enemies on the ground could be finished off with the short sword. Battles were won and lost with the Hoplite Phalanx. The Spartans often practiced this pressing tactic by forcing younger troops to knock down large trees by the sheer force of the Phalanx press (many died due to thorax damage). The Spartan short-sword was affectionately known as the lizard-sticker because of its usage.

The purpose of the pike phalanx was to hold the enemy infantry in place long enough for the flanking cavalry to be brought into position to strike the decisive blow into the enemy flank or rear (this type of tactic would be repeated nearly 2 millenia later in the Enlgish Civil war with only the addition of weak musket and cannon fire). The Pike Phalanx did not use the pressing tactic, but rather relied on the spearmanship of its soldiers. Because the first 4 ranks would present their pikes against the enemy, in order to engage a pike phalanx with a sword would require a regiment to manouver through 4 layers of thrasing pikes.

In the vanilla game, all Hoplite/Phalanx units seem to use the pike phalanx approach to combat which is grossly innacurate. For this mod:
- The Greek polis(s) should use the Hoplite approach
- The Macedonians should use the Pike Phalanx approach (though this should require some city development to reflect the early technological deffecit of the Macedonian state at large)
- The Early Romans and Eastern Greek cities should use a form of Hoplite approach (minus the pressing tactic) with the tower shield. The tower shield was the effective counter to the later pike phalanx approach - although it would have been much less effective against the pressing tactic of early phalanx formations.
- The Persians didn't use hoplites, save the Greek mercanaries lured to their ranks by the promise of gold or the threat of the destruction of their homes.
- Other Eastern civilisations never used hoplites.

Hope this is all helping.

tommh
11-20-2004, 07:00
Some general observations :

At this period the Greek City states were split it associations of City states. I would suggest making the Senate the Oracle at Delphi since control of the Oracle would be essential for anyone who wanted to unite the Hellenic world. Make three leagues the families.

I also wouldn't worry about having so many playable factions. Unless you stretch the map to include Etrusca, the early Roman Republic, and Carthage the only real players are Persia, the Greeks, and Macedon.

I wouldn't worry so much about historical details as those can be ajusted. Just get your basics down. Especially the map and the factions. Use existing units to start (you have good analogues of pretty much every unit in the campaign.).

Good luck!

Al Khalifah
11-20-2004, 12:29
I wouldn't worry so much about historical details as those can be ajusted. Just get your basics down. Especially the map and the factions. Use existing units to start (you have good analogues of pretty much every unit in the campaign.).
Like I said earlier... Finalise the important details now and start testing with existing units and textures and then develop the mod from there.

The best bit of advice I can give at this point is this: Don't worry about being TOO historically accurate. Get the basic details right and work to give each civilisation a unique feel that reflects the historical civilisation it is simulating. There's no point pondering whether the Thebans or the Thessalians or the Trojans deserve to be there or not at this stage, for now just go along with your base idea and see how things develop. Age of Empires was a great game, but in terms of history it was downright outrageous.
In the end, the true judge of how good your mod is will not be how historically accurate it is, but how fun it is to play.

CrusaderMan
11-20-2004, 19:21
You could use the oracle of Delphi as a senate.

themonkey
11-23-2004, 22:00
A new member on the team - spartan has done this camp map:

This is only an early version
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/uploads/post-45-1101162325.jpg

Al Khalifah
11-24-2004, 11:07
Nice Map

Patricius
12-04-2004, 03:46
Keeping the Senate with Macedon is something that should be considered. According to F.W. Walbank (The Hellenistic World pp 79-85) there was a limited element of popular right through assemblies of leading men. Another aspect was that the Macedonians as a sort of commonwealth and the sovereign were treated as distinct. The army acted as a court in certain instances. Unlike other later Hellenistic monarchies and Persia there was a national monarchy with checks on its power through its nobility and cities. Now there was not a regular assembly like with Athens, but a distinction between king and kingdom such that some sort of assembly might work in the game for Macedonia.

Alternatively, and far better, in my opinion given the hardcoded characteristics of the Senate, an Athenian faction could give the missions to a faction wishing to lead the Greeks. Outlawing could be taken as a rebellion of the Greeks against its putative overlord.

This would work particularly well if the start date postdates Alexander and is place in the Hellenistic age. The Seleucids, the Ptolemies and the Antigonids or Macedon all fought over leadership of Greece. If one of factions wished to lead the Greeks, they would have to impress the leading city of the Greeks, Athens. It is just a basic idea, but it seems relatively simple and robust. The hardcoded blocked against rebellion and genuine warfare by the Senate would cause great problems if a larger faction acts as the Senate.

Macedon_King
12-15-2004, 14:15
Its important to separate Macedon with any greek states.

The most important being that Greeks never considered Macedonians as Greeks
and the second that the greeks sided with rome to remove the macedonian yoke.

:charge:

Al Khalifah
12-21-2004, 16:17
Is anything happening with this mod at the moment?
I just haven't heard anything in a while and can only assume that it is either in progress or has been abandoned.

themonkey
12-23-2004, 15:54
Well i've been dealing with a hacker who took my forums and i have a fault with rome ctding

chef4fun2
03-04-2005, 13:54
So There not much going on in this mod? I have been reading a bio on Alexander the Great. And have some ideas. I have a the senate problem fixed and would like to help. I have no software exp. But can help in any other way. If this mod is dead please let us know. I think this would be the way CA should do the Xp! But who knows. ~:)

themonkey
03-10-2005, 21:47
So There not much going on in this mod? I have been reading a bio on Alexander the Great. And have some ideas. I have a the senate problem fixed and would like to help. I have no software exp. But can help in any other way. If this mod is dead please let us know. I think this would be the way CA should do the Xp! But who knows. ~:)

The mod aint dead just i was away and we have got a forum now but its not finished yet and soon we'll have a site

themonkey
03-10-2005, 21:48
The mod aint dead just i was away and we have got a forum now but its not finished yet and soon we'll have a site

chef4fun2
03-11-2005, 02:44
Thank you I glad it is not dead. If you need help I can do research and beta testing. Like I said I was a fix for the senate. The greek city states had a Hellenic league both Alexander and Phillip had to get there ok to invade Asia minor. Now grant you they were both head of the league at there time so getting the ok was not hard but Alexander had to get there ok to get ships to croos over to Asia minor. I just finished Alexanders bio from Peter Green. So I hope I can be some help for you. Please let me know. ~:)

themonkey
03-11-2005, 19:33
we'll have forums up in a day
and a team member is building the site :)
I wanna know how do i take screenshots?

Myrddraal
03-11-2005, 20:15
On your keyboard there should be a key above and to the right of the enter key which says print screen. Press that and it will save the file into the tga folder in the root directory. You can tell when it has successfully taken a screenie cos theirs a slight lag...

By the way, if you want to know how to set up diplomacy, theres a thread in the how tos

chef4fun2
03-11-2005, 20:58
I wanna know how do i take screenshots?Macedon total War needs your help!,send me a PM if you want to help in any way!

So sorry for my lack of knowlegde but what is a PM :book:

Sundjata Keita
03-11-2005, 21:03
a private message, you can send them to any other member by going to your private messages (top right hand corner)

Thessalos
03-11-2005, 21:31
Macedon_King
I dont know if this has already said but i have a briliant idea...
The senate that you are looking for is going to be the "Mantion of Delfi"
well,it's not a political forum but it had exactly the same role as the senate in RTW!The families that you are lookig for can be the Molosians,the Makedones and the Mydgonians.Yes,yes i know that this is historically a bit incorect but dont forget that the makedonians were separated in these clans before the rise of Philip...Also another member mensioned about the Verginian star and the Lamda and i strongly recoment that you hear his advise.Also DO NOT and i repete DO NOT forget to mention that the Makedonians are Hellenes(Greeks) because there is allready a huge misunderstanding and some irelevant slav people suport that the Makedonians are a Slav tribe! That's all i had to say.If anything new i will let you know... ~D

Martini_
03-12-2005, 02:52
Good evening everyone!

I am the new team member that themonkey described earlier as creating a new forums/site for the modification. I am also going to be providing historical background for the time period (I am an avid reader regarding the days of Alexander) as well as perhaps helping getting the campaign map done a little faster (that way spartan can work on skinning, which I believe would be a far better use for his talents)

I have a lot of ideas that I would like to implement with this mod, but I'd like to run them all by themonkey before I go spouting out misinformation. So after we have a little meeting sometime tonight or tommorrow, I'll share some more insight with you.

Keep the conversation lively, guys, the community's support and advice is what makes a decent mod into a great one.

themonkey
03-13-2005, 17:59
The Forums may be found here (http://macedonia.tini-gaming.net/forums)

themonkey
05-01-2005, 17:00
i'm having problems with the internet and may not be back on this for a while,martini is in charge at the mo : his email is wm.proctor@gmail.com