PDA

View Full Version : The United States was a country of the racism.

Kanji
11-22-2000, 08:55
The United States was a country of the racism.
The president first in the United States fee was a slave system supporter.
Lincoln who had done the manumission was a slave system supporter, too.

The United States of America is emigrant's country.
And, the United States of America is a country of human rights.
The United States is united to the origin of human rights.
The racism is hated in the United States.

The United States had disliked Japanese in the past.
It is taboo that there was the racism in the United States before.
Therefore, the United States never says that they put the Japanese in the labor camp by the racism.
I wonder whether the United States dropped the A-bomb to Germany.
They insist that he dropped the A-bomb to end the war on the United States to the end.
The United States cleverly hides past the racism under a cover.
And, the United States imputes his own stain to the stranger.
Europe is also the same.
All European people disliked Jew.
However, it was said that only Nazis disliked Jew when the war ended.

The United States cannot admit the crime.
The United States is an artificial nation.
If the United States admits the crime, the United States decomposes.

"I will make Japanese language only spoken in the hell!!"
This is a word of a brave American admiral.

Who is the person who should really look straight at the history?

Tachikaze
11-22-2000, 09:53
I agree with much of what you said, Kanji.

I want to point out, though, that the US put recent German immigrants in concentration camps too. One was my uncle.

There are many people in the US of all different attitudes. Many are racist, and they unfortunately often have more power than non-racists.

But we have a lot of very humane people here, too. We have a lot of American criticism of the US for slavery, dropping the A-bombs, restricting the immigration of Chinese and Japanese, our treatment of Mexican illegal immigrants, destroying the Indian nations, and the Japanese internment camps in World War Two.

It is not accurate to say that the US does not recognize its own racism. But the government hides it.

By the way, the American admiral was wrong. I have been to hell, and I didn't hear any Japanese spoken there. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
A murky puddle becomes clear when it is still.

Zen Blade
11-22-2000, 10:08
WATCH THE TONE KANJI!!!!

you can comment, and I have no problem with it... but watch it. YOU ARE THE ONE EXPRESSING EXTREMELY RACIST OPINIONS RIGHT NOW.

no nation likes to admit when they did something wrong, no culture likes to admit these things. This is true in the US, Japan, and anywhere else.

If this provokes even one msg that I deem flamish, I will close this thread.

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG

ShaiHulud
11-22-2000, 13:34
Go ahead and flame...I'm wasting no more time
on you....bah!

------------------
Wind fells blossoms, rain
fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks

Anssi Hakkinen
11-22-2000, 19:12
Quote I wonder whether the United States dropped the A-bomb to Germany.
They insist that he dropped the A-bomb to end the war on the United States to the end.
The United States cleverly hides past the racism under a cover.[/QUOTE]You exaggerate, Kanji, but you do have a point. Dropping the A-bomb in Japan was an action that was not undertaken lightly, and while there might have been some racist undertones, I believe the Americans did what they saw was necessary to win the war with minimal casualties to them and maximum damage to Japan (let's face it, the Japanese would likely have surrendered earlier than they did had the US not demanded the destruction of their culture). They did it NOT because they hated the Japanese as a race, but because they hated them as an enemy.

Remember the bombing of Hamburg, called simply "Die Katastrophe" by the Germans. Remember Dresden. The Allies were never shy about hitting their enemies hard where it hurt. I have some descriptions of those events, and they're not a particularly inspiring testament to the strategy of the Allied Strategic Air Forces.

However, it is fair to say that at least some Americans felt an animosity toward the Japanese they did not have toward the Germans or Italians. Some of the wartime American propaganda was *viciously* racist (I've seen a Donald Duck comic strip with General Tojo portrayed as this mongoloid-type short fellow with glasses and pointy moustache - you know what I mean).

So, to sum this all up, while there were some racist influences on all sides, it's an unfounded accusation that the A-bomb or other such events were solely inspired by racism. The WW2 was a war of hatred on all sides, and that partially explains why it's still considered "The War" in Europe - we live right next door to people we were, at one time, ready to kill or die trying.

Quote Europe is also the same.
However, it was said that only Nazis disliked Jew when the war ended.[/QUOTE]You have a point here too. According to my data (which is none too certain, so try not to be immediately insulted), there were *serious* anti-Semitist movements also in countries like France before the war (and in France, specifically, the racist elements were in position to enforce their prejudices during the German occupation - and they did).

But you do exaggerate, Kanji, and some of your opinions are sufficiently revisionist to be grounds for deletion on "actual" WW2 BBs. Even though these matters are seemingly a matter of national and personal pride to you, it's not good form to present them in such a conflict-seeking manner. Try to take this less seriously: it's history, after all, and what is done cannot be undone.

------------------
"A bushi who has mastered the jutsu but knows nothing of the do is like a priest who preaches one thing and does another."
- Shimmen Miyamoto Musashi

[This message has been edited by Anssi Hakkinen (edited 11-22-2000).]

Gregoshi
11-22-2000, 22:53
Just two weeks ago in the Philadelphia Inquirer there was a (small) story about the Japanese detention camps in the US. President Clinton was announcing that one (some?) of the camps were to be turned into National historical sites lest we forget what we did to the Japanese living in America during WW2. Maybe that isn't much but the government is at least recognizing the error in its actions and not totally ignoring it.

Also, the movie Midway featured a side story on the issue. It didn't fit in with the story of the battle, but it was there none-the-less. Since the battle itself had no moral/message about humanity, Hollywood gave the movie one by adding the Japanese detention camps to the story. This movie gets quite a bit of air play too, especially on Memorial Day and Veterans Day.

Is the detention of Japanese at the forefront of national consciousness like slavery? No. Is it swept under the rug and forgotten? No.

Gregoshi

The Black Ship
11-23-2000, 03:05
Might I enquire exactly what happened to the Ainu, you know the true indigenous inhabitants of the Japanese homeland?

Face it, there are injustices everywhere, by every culture/nation. So you're mad we dropped the bomb- well as I recall the Imperial High command wanted Japan to fight on to the point of oblivion- which would have been worse? So our propaganda espoused racist stereotypes- what country didn't? So we interned Japanese-Americans- true but they were alive and compensation was made (albeit token).

Taken on a whole I'd say the Allied victory in both theatres was a good thing! But from the sounds of many of you I'd think you'd rather the Axis powers triumphant! No in-humanity or injustice to be found in that camp I guess!

Sorry Kanji for interfering with Japanese expansion,ousting Military rule, then imposing democratic rule, and aiding in reconstruction. Our bad.

Idaho
11-23-2000, 05:12
The actions of winners are, by definition, justified. The actions of losers, by contrast, always appear outrageous, pointless and cruel.

The ruthlessness of the Japanese and Germans is viewed as savage and desperate; and that of the Allies, neccersary and final. There is truth in this view - a lot of truth. But there is also a tendency to simplify the past, to make clear differences between the participants. No one came out of the war with clean hands, everyone has things that they regret doing.

What is important to learn from the events is how people are swept along by cultures. Could any of us say that were we in any country at that time we could have fought against the tide?

I'll finish my first post on this board with a quote:

"Oh the perils of leadership in species so anxious to be told what to do. Leaders make mistakes, and those mistakes, amplified by those who follow, lead inevitably to great disasters".

Zen Blade
11-23-2000, 07:58
This is my opinion and one that I think any sensible, learned person would agree with.

An Axis victory would have meant world domination.... not by the Japanese, not by the Italians, but by the Nazis. A group of ppl who were motivated by extreme racial prejudice. Anyone who thinks they would have spared non-germanic (impure) ppl after conquering their enemies is naive. You would either be killed (if dangerous or useless) or turned into slave labor, unless you were famous enough and had enough connections to allow you to live relatively unmolested.

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG

Tachikaze
11-23-2000, 14:17
Idaho,

Very nice post.

------------------

Kanji
11-24-2000, 09:03
I was half satisfied with your answers.
I understood that a person who is interested in Japan is wise.
(a person who is also interested in Arab and Islam may be wiser.)
It is my failure to have forgotten that.

However, I keep talking a little more.

I was surprised because the person who knew Ainu was not a little.
Is the minority of all parts of the world described in the history textbook of the United States?
And, are you taught that it was not done that only you were cruel?

Can you consent that you cannot have been helped so that the war may end even if the hydrogen bomb is dropped to San Jose?
Do you think that the dispute would rather be solved by using the nuclear weapon (or the strategic airforce (edited)) than carry out the army?

How is neo Nazism reported in Europe?
Do you think that neo Nazism is a problem only of Germany?

[This message has been edited by Kanji (edited 11-24-2000).]

solypsist
11-24-2000, 11:51
sorry guys. inasmuch as kanjiis comments are misguided, there is a lot of truth in what he says...

this thread is getting a bit hot. maybe a lock would cool it off?

The Black Ship
11-24-2000, 12:10
Whatever you do don't delete this thread though! I can here the cries of censorship all the way around the world.

I really don't think it's gotten to flame war status though...do you guys?

Tachikaze
11-24-2000, 15:44
This is very civil compared to other forums/threads I've been to.

Sometimes there's a bit of sarcasm; that can be a little harsh (not to mention confusing to people of some cultures). I would avoid that.

Idaho
11-24-2000, 19:09
As long as people argue intelligently then I don't see why the thread should be cut off - even if it gets heated.

I don't want to start another possibly flamey response, but (there is always a but) I find that American posters get very unhappy if people start to debate heatedly. Personally I think that it's no problem - you can rip any of my ideas to pieces if you like. It's only when people make direct insults to other posters that have no intellectual merit, that any problem starts.

I have been suprised in the past when debating something on the net with US posters - only to find they either break out into insults or stop posting when the debate just starts to get interesting.

Perhaps it is a British thing to like a good arguement?

FwSeal
11-24-2000, 22:51
Well, Idaho, I've noticed its very British to like a good arguement at the US' expense http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

Idaho
11-24-2000, 23:22
Of course - we like a jelous father whose seen its child grow more powerful and yet more stupid. We like to tease our off-spring.

------------------
"To kill with the point lacks artistry, but don't let that stay your hand should the opportunity arise"

Zen Blade
11-25-2000, 12:08
well, just got back...
glad to see that everything hasn't gone to hell yet.

-as for this topic, I don't have a problem with its current direction. I think Kanji has softened his tone enough and noone has been making personal attacks.

-Kanji, could you repeat/rephrase your question on San Jose? (it was hard for me to understand).

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG

The Daimyo
11-26-2000, 21:53
I find it rather disturbing that the youth of Japan are growing up with a skewed reality of the past events that transpired during the first half of this century. What bothers me more is that Americans and many other Europeans are so very quick to forget these matters beyond what we've been told or read about (I suppose it doesn't help that most of our grandparents who were there are going away permanently http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif ). Movies are getting better at telling the REAL stories of what happened, it's a shame that it's taken them 60 years to really open up and show us the error in our ways without glorifying one side or the other in the propogandic ways of old. "History is written by the victorious" is a statement that rings true here as well.
I'd like to serve up some reminders here for all of you. These are facts and true accounts of what happened, and many related topics and issues may spring forth here, as they have elsewhere in the past year - reguarding them.

First off, concerning Americans, of which I am apart of this generalized group, we shall look at their mistakes and screwball antics in brief (this topic would go on FOREVER! if I didn't keep it brief).
Our ancestors (fore-fathers or whatever you'd like to call them) came to America way back. They claimed that they wanted to be free of England and European rule - free of the catholic church, and what not. I think that's great. They didn't want to be told how to live anymore. Well the problem is, they came to these shores and did unto others that which they HATED having done to them. This wasn't a group conspiricy or anything, it's just what HUMANS tend to do to everything.
They pushed their ways, religions, possessions, and whatever else they thought would help them in their quest for mastery of the new lands and peoples. It was wrong and not something any Starship officer should ever do if he or she comes upon a new people on a new planet. Well, too bad they didn't have Star Trek back then...ahem...
Where was I? Oh yeah... http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif
The SPANISH and their buddies in crime were also quite guilty of this, if not just as bad, probably worse. The first couple of boats over took a look and then returned to Europe with grand lies of South America. Later on they returned and literally kicked the crap out of the indians from Brazil to San Jose California. They force fed them Catholic preachings and doctrine, all the while trying to make them into good little slaves and workers. If you didn't cooperate, you were usually killed, the usual method in the old days. Treat them as Heretics and Savages was the rule of thumb when dealing with the inhabitants of the lands, and the soldiers did just that. Pacify them with religion, and if that doesn't work, start a fight and make it look like they started it.
Well, what cracks me up about all of this, is that, apparently, according to the recently discovered archeological finds in South America, the JAPANSE were the first to settle the Americas, around 5,000+ years ago. Yup, you read that right. Now, if it wasn't bad enough that the Vikings didn't get credit for it, and then the Spanish were generally discounted (due to the perception of them all as Mexicans now) but even worse we're to rewrite our history books again to include all of the new info that over half of the USA is so quick to not believe, or should I say not care about.
So why all the apathy? You tell me, but for now let me get on with my disertation....
THE JAPANESE:
The Japanese have had it out for the Chinese and Koreans for quite some time. Even in modern cinema you will find racist remarks and references from these groups at each other. You will find even more (or less) humorous remarks about Europeans and Americans. All in all we've still got the same amount of racism on the whole, as we did 50 years ago. It's just expressed in different fashions now. I think that a lot of foreign movies don't make it into American movie stores for this reason. We are not tolerant of other countries making fun of us, well, the people in charge aren't I should say. (That and apparently Americans have a huge problem with being able to watch movies with subtitles, which is beyond my comperhension http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/confused.gif )
Pre-American involovement in WW2, the Japanese did what the Shogunate dreamed of doing for 500+ years - they successfully invaded China and Korea (for the most part). They stomped out the English and the royal Chinese Emporer's people in China, and then kept on rolling.
They made a fatal error though when they came and knocked on the USA's soon to be favorite vacation hot spot, Hawaii. If the Japanese high command hadn't tried that, well things would have worked out quite differently for Japan. At least for a while. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif
What Kanjii fails to admit here, for the behalf of his country, is the fact that the paranoid and delusional Emporer of Japan and his Generals started the War with all of the countries in the Pacific, and the Indian Ocean. They took it upon themselves to start a fight that they knew they couldn't win if it went past 3 years in duration, or if the Americans were hiding what they were hiding (over 5 million+ troops and enough armor and ships to take over the world on their own as well!) and GOT INVOLVED.
Are you Japanese taught about the propoganda that was spread by the Japanese military high command during that war? It went along the lines of this;
"Americans are Taking Your Lands!"
"Americans are coming to kill All OF You! Join in the defense of Japan!"
"The Americans are coming to rape your women and kill you!"
"The Americans will stop at nothing, we must fight them or they will take over Japan!"
These are rants that were told to the Japanese PRIOR to any retaliation by the USA against the Japanese after Pearl Harbor. There were dozens of other catchy "fear" and "Air-of-Superiority" inspiring phrases, many of which were very racist, that were used on the Japanese by the Japanese to incite enlistment and encourage hatred of the Americans, English, Australians, Chinese, Koreans, and everyone else they tangled with in that war.
Well for the life of me, and everyone else here in America, I can't seem to find a single bit of parchment saying anything to the effect of our desire to come over and build condos and turn your women into hookers of malcontent - EVER!
Maybe they're hiding that info somewhere, and maybe they brainwashed everyone when they came back from fighting, but I think I'm pretty certain that we never set out to steal Japan, rape women, or kill anyone that wasn't trying to kill us or our allies personally. It just didn't work that way here back then. We were quite content just fighting Hitler and Moosey-linguini in Europe (FOR the French and English). (hehe, sorry had to add those, it was too tempting not to)
The Americans reacted rashly, concerning the already present citizens of the USA, that were of Oriental, Asian, or German decent. That's what happens though, sad to say it, in time of war.
If there were a sudden attack on Japan at this very moment by a "whitey" ran country then most likely the Japanese military and police would most likely have to round up all of the people associated with or from that country and hold them until the danger passed as well.
It's just something that has to be done to protect both them and the country. Imagine what might have happened to those people if they had been left out on their own, to face the unruly racist (and albeit IGNORANT) mobs of the times. They'd have been killed in some places, by people that were lucky if they'd even completed middle-school level eduaction most likely. (of which, at the time, there were a lot of! Hell that's just some of the old politicians I'm referring to, hehe)
People here, who are from, or who have relatives from Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc. caught all kinds of nastiness when we had our tussel with Iraq back in the early 90's. Only now, 10 years later, can they actually breath a little sigh of relief over the matter and not have to worry about the latest news bulletins on TV or in the papers inciting prejudice or malice towards their skin colors and country of probable origin.

There's still tension everywhere though, for every culture, and every people - in this country and all others. England included!
Well, this is just a part of the matter at hand. Racism and selective memory when it comes time to recount history is still a big problem everwhere, not just here in America. For the moment though, I think we're doing ok here. We haven't had any mass exodus's due to genocidal warfare, we've not nuked a single country since WW2, and neither has anyone else, and we're just getting along fine comparatively. Ok, so maybe there's a lot I'm left out there, but hey, that's another couple of posts....

------------------
The Daimyo
Miaowara "Kakizaki" Tomokato
@http://www.planettotalwar.com

[This message has been edited by The Daimyo (edited 11-26-2000).]

Tenchimuyo
11-27-2000, 21:36
People's mind can be changed for what they have believed in the past, but history cannot be changed, for the result is already in existence. It will take some time to heal the wounds of the past.

[This message has been edited by Tenchimuyo (edited 11-27-2000).]

Idaho
11-27-2000, 22:03
Sorry I couldn't read the daimyo's post - it's just too damn long. I can only handle a couple of succinct points on message boards. i don't think the medium supports anything longer than 400 words.

Techimuyo - History continually changes. History is linked to the events it tries to describe, but it will always reflect the time of writing more than the time it is trying to document. This is the basis of history - the study of stories.

Tenchimuyo
11-28-2000, 09:27
Well, you've got a point there.

solypsist
11-28-2000, 11:08
okay guys, from now on:

1. outline format makes it easier to read

just kidding, but boy was that a long message a little ways back!

Tachikaze
11-29-2000, 05:13
Oh, all of you with such short attention spans! (referring to a particular long post)

I read it all, and in essence he meant this:

"Of course the US is a country of racism. We have the Indianapolis 500, the Daytona 500, the Kentucky Derby. We know it's shameful, but we have our weaknesses.

Kanji should look at his own country's shameful past of racism (e.g. Suzuka, Motegi) before he criticizes the US for our shortcomings."

Disclaimer:
Kanji, if you read this, it is a pun (semantic joke) based on the two meanings of the word, race.

In truth, The Daimyo's post is good reading.

[This message has been edited by Tachikaze (edited 11-28-2000).]

Zen Blade
11-29-2000, 07:32
just to make sure everyone understands tachikaze... (I would hate for this to cause problems)

racism=race-----> indianapolis 500, etc... which are car races. kentucky derby is an horse race.

race having two meanings. A person's cultural grouping and a sporting event between competitors..

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG

Kanji
11-29-2000, 15:33
Thank you for your kindness.
I understand logical English.
However, I do not understand the following.
1) Literary English
2) Slang word not found in dictionary
3) Abbreviation (for example, 'ppl' and 'IMHO' . . . These words are not found in my 'The American Heritage Dictionary').
4) Joke

I do not read too long articles.
I put article which daimyo had written on the automatic translation.
I roughly understand what he says.

My article held the consideration investigation to the American concurrently.

Idaho
11-29-2000, 18:37
Kanji san - Nihonjin desu ka? Nihongo naraitai deskedo rondon ni dekinai. ore no nihongo chou warui da kara.

Doko ni sunde iru? Hiratsuka ni sunde imashta. Eigo no sensei deshita. Hiratsuka shitte iru?

The Daimyo
11-29-2000, 18:37
Thanks for understanding that Tach, I'd hate to have to reword that. Hehe...

------------------
The Daimyo
Miaowara "Kakizaki" Tomokato
@http://www.planettotalwar.com

Kanji
11-30-2000, 08:57
Idaho:
Your Japanese is friendly and is interesting.
I am a Japanese.
I live in Tokyo.
I am working for Akihabara.
Akihabara is anime, game, and Otaku's sacred grounds. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif
I have been to Hiratsuka.
However, I have not been to London.

Idaho
12-01-2000, 02:10
Kanji-san. Akihabara shiite iru. Koko ni camera ga kaitta.

Hiratsuka wa chotto tsumaranai, demo suki deshta. GEOS ni shigoto shita - wakarimashta?

You should come and visit Europe, it's very different to Japan and the US.

solypsist
12-01-2000, 14:29
is it just me or does that The Saga Begins banner with the Darth Vader head make you think it's something advertising for a Shogun product? At least while it exists in your peripheral vision before you look at it and see that it's not.

[This message has been edited by solypsist (edited 12-01-2000).]

Tachikaze
12-02-2000, 07:18
I found this website while looking for info on Junguru Taitei (Jungle Emperor, Kimba the White Lion). Tanaka Tomoyuki is a Japanese living in the US. The material Mr. Tanaka writes about seems approprite to the topics discussed on this thread.

I cleverly put the link below, after Black Ship's post.

"Wow, how did he do that?"

------------------

[This message has been edited by Tachikaze (edited 12-02-2000).]

The Black Ship
12-02-2000, 12:15
Uhmmm... Tachi...where's the link? http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/confused.gif

Tachikaze
12-02-2000, 15:58
Just seeing if you're listening, Black Ship.

Here's the link to the site I mentioned two posts ago.
http://www.cs.indiana.edu/hyplan/tanaka.html

------------------

Ieyasu
12-14-2000, 12:24
Great posts, Idaho... and hats off to all. I apologize for coming a bit late on this.

In going all the way back to the message that started it all, Kanji-san, please accept my angle on this.

I am Japanese-American, san-sei. My mother is from Japan, Shizouka prefecture. My dad was born here... was encamped at Heart Mountain when he was five with my grandparents after the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

I think the one thing anyone can learn from all of the terrible things that have past in our human cycles is the irony in life, and that the only way to go forward is learn from the past, and do the best you can.

My grandparents left Japan to the States to lead a better life for their children. They worked hard, started a little grocery store in LA, only to have it taken away when the war broke out. They returned to Japan to reunite the family when there was an exchange with some Western dignitaries who were caught in Japan -- a sort of "if you wanna leave the camps and go back to Japan, you can (they also gave the young men in the camps a "chance" at proving their loyalty by joining the army, lol -- a side note: the 442nd remains as the most decorated army in US history, a regiment that was primarily made-up of men of Japanese descent, and fought bravely in the European theatre for their new country, America).

Figuring it would be best to be there with their other two sons (my uncles were in Japan at the time, finishing their schooling when the war started), they took the offer and moved back.

[this may go long, so I apologize in advance - I just think my simple statement needs context].

During their stay in the camps, my father said he never really remembered any kind of harsh treatment, and to this day, though he has mixed feelings about it all, he has never once said anything bad about America or those days -- to him, to my family as a whole, we are Americans... and that was just a time of war. War makes people do crazy things.

In Japan, my grandparents and my father were not treated very nicely upon their return. They were mistrusted for "turning their backs" to the Emperor, and since my father and his parents had US Citizenship, it was not an easy time -- rumors of being "spies" and such. To put even more irony into this, their house was bombed by a US plane.

Racism is a broad and ugly sword, Kanji-san. You cannot say one nation is guilty of it, and another is not. It is, as was often said in this thread, everywhere in some way... and from my own travels, can only be summed up as a dark fear of what is unknown, of anything foreign, of what is outside their scope of knowledge and comfort. Some people can look beyond that circle... some people's scope is wide and expansive... while others are narrow, myopic.

Try and understand it as a human ailment rather than a nationalistic one. One could only hope with the advent of the net, of more affordable travel, people will be able to go out and see that the rest of the world isn't so different from their own. That people, generally speaking, are the same all around; and that there are two sides to every story.

I have been to Japan eight times in my life... to visit my relatives there. I find a close connection with everyone whenever I go, find it a beautiful place. I have felt a distant sadness, almost a kind of odd embarassment when I've visited the Pearl Harbor memorials... a feeling of odd peace and distant-seeing at Hiroshima (it is the very horror of what had passed that may keep anyone from doing it again -- can you not see the gift in that awful event for the rest of the world?). I have also lived in the Middle East, seen the "other side" of the conflict there, have many Arab friends. Believe me, Kanji-san... we are all the same.

Einstein once said, "Nationalism is an infantile disease."

Let's hope with such dialog, with the world becoming, figuratively, a smaller place, we can learn something more from each other.

And the US, despite its short-comings, is a great place to be... in a land that IS made of the rest of the world. It is a micro of what can be, both in its goodness and in its badness.

Peace through understanding, Kanji-san. Be mindful where you point your finger.

[This message has been edited by Ieyasu (edited 12-14-2000).]

Slagg
12-29-2000, 13:44
The fact that we are have this discussion at all states that something went right. Overall, freedom won. Mistakes, you bet; problems, sure. Look at us. People from all over the world taking part in a very heated discussion. If this were Germany, or Japan, death would await. Remember Tiemamman Square in China?--That was not so long ago. How many young adults died because they did what we are doing right now? Thanks for reading!!

Brown Wolf
01-14-2001, 07:25
Quote Originally posted by Kanji:
The United States was a country of the racism.
The president first in the United States fee was a slave system supporter.
Lincoln who had done the manumission was a slave system supporter, too.

The United States of America is emigrant's country.
And, the United States of America is a country of human rights.
The United States is united to the origin of human rights.
The racism is hated in the United States.

The United States had disliked Japanese in the past.
It is taboo that there was the racism in the United States before.
Therefore, the United States never says that they put the Japanese in the labor camp by the racism.
I wonder whether the United States dropped the A-bomb to Germany.
The United States cleverly hides past the racism under a cover.
And, the United States imputes his own stain to the stranger.
Europe is also the same.
However, it was said that only Nazis disliked Jew when the war ended.

The United States cannot admit the crime.
The United States is an artificial nation.
If the United States admits the crime, the United States decomposes.

"I will make Japanese language only spoken in the hell!!"
This is a word of a brave American admiral.

Who is the person who should really look straight at the history?[/QUOTE]

I will admit that the United States does indeed have racism. However lets not forget that Japan does to. In world war 2 Japan commited many crimes against China and Korea. And in modern times Japan is prejudice against it's non-japanese race citizens. I recived my information form other people online and it may be in error. However it is important to show that Japan two is a racist country in some respects.

Visit the below links for more information: http://www.voicenet.co.jp/~davald/ http://homepages.go.com/~hakata/FAQ-Primer.html and http://www.japan-guide.com http://www.ufj.gol.com/ http://www.voicenet.co.jp/TheCommunity/

------------------

Hirosito
01-14-2001, 21:20
Not wanting to sidestep the topic too much and knowing that there are a lot of intelligent poeple posting here i would like to know the americans's personal view of CUBA.

------------------
Hirosito Mori

A warrior's wisdom is shown in the treating of his defeated opponent http://cgi.tripod.com/smilecwm/cgi-bin/s/owen/sid.gif

Zen Blade
01-15-2001, 02:06
a bit off the topic, but that is ok

Just as a precursor to what I will say... I think it really depends on the American's perspective on communism/capitalism as well as a few other factors such as age.

Personally (as a 21 yr old who has definite liberal leanings), I don't have that much of a problem with Cuba. I think we should formally reestablish all contact, and especially trade. Also, I think it is interesting to point out that when comparing Cuba with other countries throughout central and South America, Cuba rates pretty high in standard of living for its people, and with the exception of political freedom, is actually not that bad of a country.

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG

agios_katastrof
02-09-2001, 01:21
Kanji,

You are a proud person, and you have every right to be. Yours is a nation of greatness that acheived much, with very little. But we all have skeletons in our closet.

The Ainu was aforementioned. And I don't think I have to detail the atrocities that the Japanese committed towards the Koreans and the Chinese. If you are unfamiliar with them, suffice to say that it had some similarities with the German treatment of the Jews.

US has our skeletons as well, but we admit to them. We admit our wrongdoings towards the Native Americans, the black slaves, and yes, to the American Japanese. And Germany too, admits of its wrongdoings, and I have met Germans that speak quite shamefully of its past doings. But the Japanese government, still refuses to admit its actions towards the Korean/Chinese.

I am a Korean American. I hold much respect for the people of Japan. Your people have a rich history that deserves praise. But if you were raised in Japan, you will rarely hear of its past atrocities.

RJ
02-09-2001, 08:04
>>I wonder whether the United States dropped the A-bomb to Germany.

Let's take a little look at history. . . now when exactly did the war END with germany? may, 1944? and WHEN was the A-Bomb first tested....?

why bend over backwards to accomodate the obvious racist remarks of this guy, when anyone who's ever been to japan should know full well that it is one of the most racist countries in the world?

RJ

Choco
02-11-2001, 08:56
Agreed ....

Sorry Kanji but facts are facts.

There was racism in USA? Yep
There is still racism in USA? Yep

But the sad fact is that Japan is a nation with a very racism component and with a very racist culture and history.

Just look the way that japan behaved in Korea and China in the WWII. Chemical war, biological war, extermination of whole towns, massive concentration camps, work slaves.

Even now 50 years later japan refuses to ackoledge its historical responsability. My honest opinion is that that is very arrogant and shows a strong stream of racist and xenophobia.

If most japansese youth think like you then it is a really bad thing.

My apologies if my words offend somebody. I am not Japanese, but sure I like and admire a lot of Japanese stuff ranging from mangas to warfare story. I even like sushi.

I have a lot of japanese friends too.

But I am not stupid, blind or hypocrital and I recongnize when a post such like Kanji's is misleading.

As much as I admire and respect Japan, I am not blind to deny that Japan is a nation where racism is a LOT more alive and socially accepted than in USA.