PDA

View Full Version : One last bug for petition list (game control)

alioven
10-20-2004, 02:02
I've showed this online to Oswald, as he is doing the last writings and will deliver the letter to CA directly (thanks for that Os).

It's a bug in game controls, and I'll try to explain it here so it can be reproduced. Remember I'm not english native speaker, so someone (prolly Os when he understands it completely) can re-write it in clearer way:

First, the usual behaviour:

1. You have a unit (or a single group of units) and when you press and drag your mouse right button, a shadow appears telling you they are moving to the destination you clicked on. When you release MRB (mouse right button) they move to the point indicated, with their formation, etc...

Alternate behaviour (which is correct too):

2. You press and drag MRB, and you get the shadow of "moving units to 'there'". This time, before releasing the mouse, you press ALT, so you get a shadow indicating you that your units will not move now, but rotate with their formation (like in old MTW). When you release MRB, the units rotate like the shadow was indicating.

Now, the bug:

3. You press and drag MRB and hold ALT to indicate a rotation. However, you change your mind and decide to move your unit/group instead of rotating it, so you release the ALT button. The shadow updates and shows you that your units won't rotate, but move to the point you indicate (like in case 1). You can or cannot add a formation command and the shadow will update correctly. Now, you release the MRB and... your units rotate without moving, regardless of whatever the shadow was telling you.

They are supposed to move, or the shadow is supposed to show you always a "rotation" one and not a lie, but you get the odd behaviour instead.

The only way to avoid this bug, is cancelling your command (by pressing both mouse buttons at the same time) if you change your mind and decide not to rotate units. Note this is a bug because the game tells you false information, and because it *only* happens when using ALT key, other mind-changes work correctly and do what the shadow image tells you.

I hope I made it clear, it has been tested in campaign and multiplayer modes, and if you don't get it by reading my post, try it online or in a custom battle, you will see it.

Oswald
10-20-2004, 02:26
Os confirms that army misbehaved. Would like some quick tests by others to confirm.

Time is very short...

Dionysus9
10-20-2004, 02:55
I've encountered this myself several times and can confirm it.

It should be added to the "groups are broken" section with a touched up version of alios excellent description.

Oh, and Alio-- I think clicking both mouse buttons is more than you need to cancel an order. Just click the left mouse button to cancel.

Also, if I remember correctly, there is a bit more to this bug but I can't remember the details and what we have is good enough to get them working on it.

Good work Alio.

Colovion
10-20-2004, 02:57
I found that it goes like this:

- Right click and hold will axis the formation on the left flank

- if you Right click and hold and THEN press ALT it will pivot around an axis in the center of the formation - not where you told them to go, but back where your troops are presently located

- if you let go of the ALT key while you are doing all of this they will just face where you thought you told them to go.

It's all very confusing but yes, I can confirm this.

Oswald
10-20-2004, 03:02
Bachus:- i *think* i tried it with only one group, i am not sure this is group related.. but is beyond Os, who is fully admits noobishness at finding bugs.

Tomisama
10-20-2004, 03:23
Confirmed:
Holding the Alt key and drawing a rotation with the right mouse, if you release the Alt key, the position pattern reverts to the point where you first pressed your right mouse button to start your rotation direction order. This is false information, because if you now release the right mouse button, the unit still rotates as originally ordered, and does not move to the position the pattern indicated.

The twin mouse button press is the best way out for now, and then re-order the move if that’s what you want. I didn’t know about the two mouse button press, having always pressed Enter to deselect before releasing the right mouse. Thanks :bow:

Edit: Or I see you can just press the left mouse button to cancel (just tested that also).
Thanks Thanks :bow: :bow:

Dionysus9
10-20-2004, 03:58
well i guess really you are clicking both because the right button is already depressed.

Dionysus9
10-20-2004, 04:00
actually, i think yo uare correct -- its not group related because I recall single units doing the same thing.

Oswald
10-20-2004, 10:06
Question: is this 'particular' ie a one off? or is it a 'specific' example of a more general bug that we have yet to document?

NB further tests reveal this bug is a control bug not a group bug.
(thx CBR)

1st draft of amendment:

'We have so far identified one specific instance of a control bug. This concerns a move and rotate command which when cancelled results in an entirely different action by your army, the shadow indicating one movement and the army doing a simple rotate on the spot. At this time we suspect that there a more instances of this control bug but we have yet to able to fully document them'