PDA

View Full Version : Naval Total War

Hross af Guttenburg
10-22-2004, 00:15
This was one we discussed and abandoned about 9 months ago. The idea was that we could have NTW style units and mutiple large guns (NTW style) on variable ships that would sail around and bomb each other and even allow for boardings. The sea scape would be dotted with islands/land mass with fortifications to add realism and mirror harbour defences and famous battles which rarely occurred out on the wide open sea -which would be boring to play on.

MTW did not allow for any of this to eb possible, but now that RTW has the siege equipment that does not count as a unit in the actual army it may be possible to mod this siege devices to vessels and place fighting crew, marines, and multiple cannons on boards.
The possibility to release men/acquire men from the land terrain seems also possible- which would make for a fascinating variety of maritime battles.
Rebels would be pirates....
Kings would be admirals, and their heirs commodores...etc
MP and the single player gives us endless arrays of modding possibilities based on sea/harbour battles and ownership rather than castels and provinces.

I am not a modder, but i am passionate and i do know my history, i will help to organise and direct the project as best i can, hell i'll even try modding...

Anyone else interested?

(GG)LordByron NTW /JakeTheMuzz MTW

Hross af Guttenburg
10-22-2004, 00:29
I dug up the old thread in MTW forum. And found some links and info

old thread:
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=32912
some pics:
http://www.neptunepictures.com/trafalgar.htm
some historical info:
http://www.napoleonguide.com/navy_rnratings.htm

~:handball:

Hross af Guttenburg
10-22-2004, 00:33
Just saw this thread nearby. Well worth watching/reading for those as interested in this idea as I am...

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=38219

Silver Rusher
10-22-2004, 17:02
I'm not sure (in fact pretty certain) that it's not possible, but if it is, this mod would be one of the most original ideas. Good luck!

Duke Malcolm
10-24-2004, 16:31
I'll help again, you tell me what to do, and I'll see if I can.
Perhaps you could replace elephant or chariot models with ships, have small models for men/cannons, and immovable cannons.
The seige stuff could only be built/used when sieging, so it would be harder to use that.

Hross af Guttenburg
11-02-2004, 03:47
HALLO MALCOLM!
Hehhe, here we are again then...
Yeah, the more I look at RTW the less hopeful I am. I think we have some good ideas but this will take a hell of a lot of heavy modding to make it work at all.
Problem is that neither I nor you it seems are exceptionally well up on modding expertise, not least knowledge of the programmes/gamedata.
However, it does seem that if HTW and NTW made possible such leaps from the MTW engine then surely something resembling a naval battle MIGHT be moddable from the great range of units and gaming possibilities that RTW supports. How, is another story...

Duke Malcolm
11-02-2004, 19:34
We could attempt a similar strategy to that of MTW, trying to convert the land-based strategy with naval things, although it would be harder...
We could try and find a modder who happens to be good at coding, but that would be quite hard.

WarHawk
11-08-2004, 01:29
Hope and pray that the RTW expansion has sea battles.

CrusaderMan
11-17-2004, 02:01
Yes, why not expand on the features missing from RTW?

Dimeola
11-17-2004, 18:56
There was a PBEM campaign like this years back. A planet of almost all water. It was economic, political, and military. If you like the tall ships it would be great fun. There are even a few games out there that would allow you to fight out the battles in detail if you wanted.
D

MajorFreak
04-18-2005, 11:46
hehe...we all thought it was a grand idea, except a developer came along and mentioned that the crew would all be out pushing. heehehe

Myrddraal
04-18-2005, 12:41
Not if you used elephants or chariots as the ships...

Duke Malcolm
04-18-2005, 16:19
That's what I thought we could do.

The problem comes to the campaign, though. It is not like in MTW, when we could have perhaps switched the sea provinces to be land provinces and vice-versa. I believe that it would be rather hard to allow the campaign to have battles at sea as well as at land. Also, the battle map. In MTW it was simply a case of editing the various unit images, and changing the textures slightly to make the water texture for land, and making the land textures on impassable textures so that units could not over-run. This might be harder in RTW, so all the units could go on land and sea.

If we are lucky, they might bring naval battles in the expansions, so perhaps then we could help mod the new ships into the NTW mod (that was about the time, after all, of the intended MTW mod). Perhaps someone will figure out how to re-code various aspects of the game to our needs. Until either of them, we are slightly stuck...

MajorFreak
04-19-2005, 11:21
mmmm...true true. that was the dev opinion during medieval total war.