PDA

View Full Version : Getting terrain tiles working?

tailkickusmaximus
10-25-2004, 15:34
Just like the title says.

has anyone gotten terrain tiles working using the ground_type.tga?

I cannot get them to display on my campaign or battlemap.. the sea comes up right but all the land is painted with low fertile tags.

tailkickusmaximus
10-26-2004, 23:10
Anyone?... Anyone?...

Bueller?..Bueller?

Duke John
10-27-2004, 08:05
I got it working and the solution for you that springs to mind is that you forgot to delete map.rwm. If you edit the Imperial Campaign then delete the one in data\worlds\maps\base. If you edit a tutorial/custom one then delete the one in data\worlds\maps\campaign\sonsofmars/customfolder.

The game autogenerates map.rwm each time you start up the campaign.

tailkickusmaximus
10-27-2004, 14:46
I got it working and the solution for you that springs to mind is that you forgot to delete map.rwm. If you edit the Imperial Campaign then delete the one in data\worlds\maps\base. If you edit a tutorial/custom one then delete the one in data\worlds\maps\campaign\sonsofmars/customfolder.

The game autogenerates map.rwm each time you start up the campaign.

Got it working.. appreciate the direction Duke!

It was actually two fold.

I use photoshop to create the campaign maps and I have my project files broken into many layers (as Im sure the rest of you do) when I saved the map_ground_type file I saved it as my default preference of 16 bit.

Which changed the RGB values to be off from the required tile set values.

That and when I fixed it.. I forgot to delete the rwm file..

Interesting enough I found out how to level the map generation in the battle map using the descr_terrain.txt file. The distance between the maximum sea point and minimum sea point just needs to be shrunk down which will reduce the amount of variance between the highest land point and the lowest sea point.. or alterantively you can change the fractal depth from .5 to something else.. lower numbers increase the randomness.. higher numbers decrease it.

Now to work on customizing the towns.