PDA

View Full Version : Reducing impact of cavalry

Jagger
10-26-2004, 13:28
I would like to do something to reduce the impact of cavalry on the battlefield.

Ideally, I would reduce turn rates and increase exhaustion. Unfortunately I don't think either is an option.

Instead I am considering reducing charge, combat and or defense values. I am also wondering about "cause fear" attributes for infantry/cavalry. Finally I am considering increasing build times.

Before I spend the time investment, I was wondering if anyone else has done any tinkering and whether they are happy with the results.

I am not a huge ancients expert by any means, but my impression was the cavalry was typically a weak auxillary on the battlefield used for harassment, flank attacks and running down routing troops. I am assuming their main role was on the strategic side in terms of reconnaissaince, screening and raiding.
Actually I would have liked to have seen a differentiation between cavalry and infantry on the strategic map when it comes to screening enemy armies.

I am curious whether there were any cavalry in the west know for shock attacks directly into the front of infantry? I believe there were some shock cavalry in the East.

Lord_Winter
10-26-2004, 16:09
Think there is a value for all horse units which determins the impact of a charge (how much they penetrate ranks) reducing it and the charge bonus would probably lessen the effect of horsemen...

GonzoDave
10-31-2004, 14:43
Think there is a value for all horse units which determins the impact of a charge

It's called mass and can be found in mounts.txt

Red Harvest
10-31-2004, 20:04
I don't have a file named "mounts.txt" or "mount.***", etc. Is this something that has to be extracted?

Red Harvest
10-31-2004, 20:28
Found it, the correct name is: descr_mount.txt