PDA

View Full Version : Europa Barbarorum Status

Pages : [1] 2

khelvan
10-27-2004, 21:08
The Trivium Organization is proud to present: Europa Barbarorum, a complete conversion for Rome: Total War.

Europa Barbarorum is a modification for Rome: Total War based on the desire to provide RTW players with a more fun, challenging, realistic, and historically accurate gaming experience. Contrary to popular opinion, Europa Barbarorum is not solely focused on barbarian factions (though the name was derived from a desire to portray barbarians more accurately). EB takes great pains to portray all factions correctly, including Rome.

Europa Barbarorum is a community modification that has been in existence for many months; research began long before the release of RTW. All of us work on the mod according to our skill, ability, and desire. We have members who do historical research, make modifications to the map or economic system, create new unit models and skins, and a host of other tasks. If you are interested in joining this effort please let us know - all who have the desire to make the game better, more challenging, and more accurate are welcome.

Internal build v0.3a has been distributed to the testers. This release may be found in the EB protected forum. We will only release a polished product to the public; this includes enough content to significantly enhance gameplay, eliminate ALL bugs, and in general be playable and enjoyable. We do not believe in releasing versions that are "works in progress." To wit, we cannot give you a date for our first public release. However, we are closing toward that goal day by day.

Map progress:
Our current internal version is nothing more than a rearrangement of some of the geography features, the addition of less than ten new provinces, and several name changes and such to make things more accurate. Our new map should be released for internal testing in the next week or two. This map is both much larger and more realistic than the current map, having been expanded both north and east, with a large number of new provinces that should better portray the faction and tribal reach c. 270 BCE.

Those wishing for an even bigger map will be disappointed, as we will almost certainly not be extending it beyond the Indus. However, we are already rushing headlong toward the 200 province limit, and compromises must be made because of this. Our information comes from satellite photography, topographical maps, period maps, primary sources, and secondary information regarding the change in climate and such over the past 2500 years. All aspects of the map are looked at, including mountains, forests, the placement of rivers and fords, resource placement, and more.

Faction progress:
Our current internal version contains mostly cosmetic changes to the factions, including making the provincial holdings more accurate, several name changes, minor changes to family trees, name lists, and starting armies. In the near future we will be replacing two factions with new factions, one of which you may be familiar with, one you may not be (sorry, we're keeping this a surprise for the moment). In addition, we have plans for revamping the Roman structure to be more realistic.

We have made a decision not to fudge with the game mechanics too much in the case of Rome. Since CA decided to hard code the interaction between the Senate and the three Roman factions, changing this relationship causes very real issues, and we cannot replace the roman factions with others due to this hard code. However, we recognize that the patrician family system is nowhere near historical, and so we have a system we feel will be a passable stopgap until we can truly change the way Rome is depicted. CA needs to open up more to modders to make that a reality, however. Keep your hopes up, we are.

In general, not a single faction will be the same once we are through with them. A great deal of progress has already been made in overhauling them.

Unit progress:
We are creating an entire new set of units. We will be using every single one of the 300-unit limit, and even then we have had to make compromises about what makes it into the mod, and what does not. (Rest assured that all the fantasy units got the axe very quickly.) About 75% of these units are made from scratch, we've trashed over 200 existing units, and every single one we kept is getting a new model, skin, name, or all of the above. Nothing will be the same.

The release going out for alpha testing this week includes approximately 50 new units. Most of the factions have at least a good portion of their units defined. By defined I mean a name given, description created, equipment and clothing noted for our graphics folks, and historical info recorded. Our unit list for units waiting to be created may have reached 200 by the time I post this. Note that this does not only mean the units slated for each faction. You see, our groups have responsibility over certain areas/ethic groups, and we are defining new merc and rebel units for these areas. Some of these may be used for future factions when we have the ability to add them, but some are simply there to properly depict rebels from certain areas, or tribes that are outside of the factions we have made/will be making. As you can see we are leaving no stone unturned.

Building progress:
Our tireless mod team has defined an entirely new building system. While the way cities, provinces, and the economy is portrayed in RTW is very abstract, and very hard to make realistic due to so much hard code, we feel we're coming close. While we have defined a new set of buildings I am very sad to say that no work has been done in creating them, since we have no one willing and able to do the 2D and 3D work on our new buildings. So please, if you can do this and are willing to work hard, we need you!

Recruitment system progress:
We have designed and tested a recruitment system that allows us to define an area where troops can be recruited on the individual unit level. Thus we are able to make the creation of units entirely regional, except for certain factions that raised foreign armies. Originally born of the "homelands" concept from Wes's MedMod (we have several members who worked on the MedMod project), we are refining this to be as true to life as possible.

Naval system progress:
There is lots of hard code to deal with here, but we are working on an idea we think will make navies more realistic, and give the AI less of a hard time. Bear with us as we work out the details.

Multimedia progress:
Recently, the Voice mod team merged with EB, and became active members. This is fortuitous for both projects, as our skills and knowledge are complementary. I am happy to report that since this merger, Shigawire has been able to find people from EB to fill in many of the gaps he had as far as languages are concerned. There is still work to be done, but things are looking bright! Just wait until you hear a barditus!

We have a musician doing custom work for EB. We are providing him with samples of period instruments from the different ethic groups/cultures of the time, and he is putting together music. We are very excited by this. In addition, we have an artist working on a custom splash screen picture. We have not yet begun it, but we will have a custom intro video, as well as new videos for each faction.

Economic system progress:
This is tough going, because of the limitations CA has placed on us through not exposing the AI routines, and hard-coding much of the economic interactions such as resources, base farm levels, trade routes, and so on. We really need CA to open some things up for us to truly make this better and more challenging. We're doing our best, but the reality is that we may need to make one provincial campaign per faction for the human player to have a truly challenging experience. Unless, of course, CA helps us out in one of their upcoming patches. Keep your hopes up!

A bit of history:
Europa Barbarorum was conceived during the development of Rome: Total War, in the calendar year 2003. Members of the EB project wanted to gather historical information about the factions and units RTW was to depict, in order to help CA portray them accurately. Given information that had come out regarding the completely baseless portrayal of barbarian factions, the members had hoped to provide enough of a research base to make a difference. No one listened. So, the group took it upon themselves to make a modification using this information, and more. This project is the result of that determination.

In all things we do, the primary focus of EB remains historical accuracy. We believe that realism and fun can, and will, go hand in hand. Whenever possible, we do not compromise historical accuracy - we have found that so far, this enhances both immersion and gameplay.

Our end product will be historically accurate enough to be used in the classroom as an educational tool. The campaign will be both an extremely fun experience and full of information geared toward introducing new persons to the rich history of the factions of the classical age.

khelvan
01-24-2005, 12:11
EB v0.4a has been uploaded. v0.4a is an alpha version available only to internal testers, at this time.

Asterix
01-26-2005, 20:50
I am a patient anticipator of this Classic Project and have been following closely for half a year at least.

If I might be usefull in any way my primary education is that of Historian, I obtained a Masters in modern history in 1999, then went on in Politics, Conflict Precention etc. etc.

I have been a fanatic of Greco-Roman period history since I was a toddler probably

I know the geography of the Roman world, my work has taken me into all areas of the CIS, the Balkans, Greece, and all of the EU... I grew up in North Africa.

I adore primary sources, and have read much of the period's first hand documents that I could ever get my hands on.

I would love to see you Europa Babarorum include some sort of Supra-national entity for the Helenic League, which continued to be a reason only the Romans managed to finally defeat the Greek world.

Ideally Carthage should have a Senate like Rome's

A similiar system could be used to control the "Barbarian Factions" but real unity and frequency of infiting would probably be hard to portray

Anyways, what has been presented to the outside is amazing so far, and this mod could be the best historical piece of software to ever hit the Strategy Gaming World.

There was a funny little game years ago from Electronic Arts called Centurion

This game had wonderful elements of Diplomacy very reflective of historical elements in Romam diplomacy... RTW really lacks in terms of diplomacy... but some minor concrete changes could significantly enrich it.

1) Protectorates should be enriched, and the player should have the right to draft protectorate state's forces into own services, as for example Carthage the Numidians, or the Seleucids the Persians, Carthage the Iberians.

Protectorates should be akin to colonization.

2) For Barbarian factions it would be good to see a random unit skin generator that gives slightly different skins for each unit drafted. The Barabarian factions are too uniform in appearance. Barbarian factions represented, comparing to Greeks and Romans, lack of overarching physical dogma, and warriors armed themselves as they wanted.

3) On the topic of the Steppe. The Sarmatians should exist appart from Scythians. But both should be represented.

4) I would love to see great cities start great at the onset of the game period. I hope EB amends population values to be more realisic. That is to say that 10X of what RTW vanilla represented. Carthage 200,000 in 280 BCE for instance

5) Rebellions, which are ever important should start mostly in the provinces, and not in cities. If they start in cities then units should be placed randomly (or around barracks/stable/ central square) on the battle map. City rebels should be less powerful than provincial rebels. Rome and Greece should have frequent rebellious would-be-consuls and would-be-tyrants appearing in the field.

Impossible changes I know... but a little vision is what EB seems to be about! :charge:

ah_dut
01-31-2005, 23:32
I would love to see you Europa Babarorum include some sort of Supra-national entity for the Helenic League, which continued to be a reason only the Romans managed to finally defeat the Greek world.
I believe we have implemented a hellenic league...

Ideally Carthage should have a Senate like Rome's
Impossible due to hardcoded issues

1) Protectorates should be enriched, and the player should have the right to draft protectorate state's forces into own services, as for example Carthage the Numidians, or the Seleucids the Persians, Carthage the Iberians.
Agree but think this also is impossible

2) For Barbarian factions it would be good to see a random unit skin generator that gives slightly different skins for each unit drafted. The Barabarian factions are too uniform in appearance. Barbarian factions represented, comparing to Greeks and Romans, lack of overarching physical dogma, and warriors armed themselves as they wanted.
I am sure that this is impossible

3) On the topic of the Steppe. The Sarmatians should exist appart from Scythians. But both should be represented.
Check with Khel but I think this is in there...

4) I would love to see great cities start great at the onset of the game period. I hope EB amends population values to be more realisic. That is to say that 10X of what RTW vanilla represented. Carthage 200,000 in 280 BCE for instance

In game issues...200,000 people, imagine the Squalor...

5) Rebellions, which are ever important should start mostly in the provinces, and not in cities. If they start in cities then units should be placed randomly (or around barracks/stable/ central square) on the battle map. City rebels should be less powerful than provincial rebels. Rome and Greece should have frequent rebellious would-be-consuls and would-be-tyrants appearing in the field.
Another thing we'd love to do but impossible due to circumstances beyond our control

I hope this helps mate

DemonArchangel
01-31-2005, 23:35
EB's motto should be: "Making a great game better."

Ignoramus
02-07-2005, 07:09
Can't wait for the mod!

Diomedes
02-09-2005, 11:59
XAIPETE!

I just came across this link and it sounds like a great project you have going. I'm really excited to hear that someone out there is taking advantage of this games potential. Great work!

I received my BA in Classics and I'm big time Total War enthusiast. If you have room for any other testers/devs/whatever... I'd love to help :)

A simple request for the team to consider... More cultural/religious landmarks. Something along the lines of the wonders we see in the vanila RTW. It couldn't help but add a little color to the game if we included a few notable sites like Bath, Cumae, Delphi, Dodona etc etc etc

jasonwclark@gmail.com

Colovion
02-09-2005, 21:01
EB's motto should be: "Making a great game better."

Or alternatively:

"Taking potential and capitalizing on it."

Gangstaman590
02-09-2005, 23:48
XAIPETE!

I just came across this link and it sounds like a great project you have going. I'm really excited to hear that someone out there is taking advantage of this games potential. Great work!

I received my BA in Classics and I'm big time Total War enthusiast. If you have room for any other testers/devs/whatever... I'd love to help :)

A simple request for the team to consider... More cultural/religious landmarks. Something along the lines of the wonders we see in the vanila RTW. It couldn't help but add a little color to the game if we included a few notable sites like Bath, Cumae, Delphi, Dodona etc etc etc

jasonwclark@gmail.com

They can't edit wonders or add new ones, it is hard coded into the game. :embarassed:

khelvan
02-10-2005, 00:05
We'll be removing them as they exist today (Wonders). They will show up in a province's list of existing buildings, and on the battle map, and there will be more of them. However, their effects will be drastically reduced, and unfortunately they will not show up as separate on the campaign map.

We consider this a good tradeoff. Removing some eye candy from the campaign map (only) for much less imbalancing effects, more in line with what they might have actually provided to a province (a small bonus to morale, or law, or what have you) rather than a huge faction-wide bonus. Plus we're adding some of our own creation, and as soon as Verci and Ailill crack the building code we'll add more to the city plans as well.

Nothing_Grows
02-13-2005, 05:58
Dunno if this was asked already, but i was wondering if the patch encompasses the RTW 1.2 patch as well (u know, the upgrades to the ai and such and ability to see wonders on map)? And i just want to congradulate you on what your doing. Don't get discouraged and settle for less, because you guys are going to make CA blush with embarraseement! ~;)

Gangstaman590
02-13-2005, 18:43
Dunno if this was asked already, but i was wondering if the patch encompasses the RTW 1.2 patch as well (u know, the upgrades to the ai and such and ability to see wonders on map)? And i just want to congradulate you on what your doing. Don't get discouraged and settle for less, because you guys are going to make CA blush with embarraseement! ~;)

Of course this will be compatible with the 1.2 patch. These guys are geniuses. :bow:

jerby
02-28-2005, 23:15

indeed, with EB this game is becomming everything CA could have made it. it all looks great, btw, can anybody give me the link to teh screenshots-thread. I lost it
btw how does it feel to keep the entire TW community in tension about this mod.
any release on wich faction will be deleted and implented?

tai4ji2x
03-01-2005, 00:01
indeed, with EB this game is becomming everything CA could have made it. it all looks great, btw, can anybody give me the link to teh screenshots-thread. I lost it
btw how does it feel to keep the entire TW community in tension about this mod.
any release on wich faction will be deleted and implented?

well, except for one major hardcoded bug, which CA currently does not acknowledge nor deny

http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm7.showMessage?topicID=22412.topic

abortretryfail
03-02-2005, 16:19
any eta on this?

shame on me for being lazy :embarassed: . i found this answer in another thread.

Divinus Arma
03-06-2005, 18:26
As always, I am eagerly awaiting EB.

You professionals are certainly developing a reputation here. I can really sense the energy and anticipation around these boards. I'm sure you will not dissapoint.

If CA had the vision to do so, they could capitalize on your work by financing you and making this an expansion.

Warmest Regards and best wishes for your continued success.

Idomeneas
03-06-2005, 22:36
As always, I am eagerly awaiting EB.

You professionals are certainly developing a reputation here. I can really sense the energy and anticipation around these boards. I'm sure you will not dissapoint.

If CA had the vision to do so, they could capitalize on your work by financing you and making this an expansion.

Warmest Regards and best wishes for your continued success.

I think that this is an effort of free commitment and good will. The money factor would only spoil everything. I mean who would get paid on what base and for what? There are volunteers from every part of the world. You think CA doesnt have people capable to do everything faster and easier? The problem propably has to do with money and time, something that doesnt troubles people here ~:) theres no deadlines or advertisement expenses running. ~D

.Spartan
03-07-2005, 15:38
Back in November I was able to edited and move the wonders.

In addition, the soon to be released updated CVP takes care of the new bug as well as a few other smaller issues not addressed in the 1.2 patch. The corrections should be in the next internal build.

-Spartan

jerby
03-07-2005, 18:38
well, except for one major hardcoded bug, which CA currently does not acknowledge nor deny

http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm7.showMessage?topicID=22412.topic

what was the major bug?
btw CA screwed up on many points, lack of research in history and lack of programming

Iskander Bej
03-11-2005, 20:10
I really wish RTW would be more modder friendly. Features are impossible to add. CA does a half-assed job and then don't let people fix them themselves.

hellenes
03-12-2005, 21:07
I think that this is an effort of free commitment and good will. The money factor would only spoil everything. I mean who would get paid on what base and for what? There are volunteers from every part of the world. You think CA doesnt have people capable to do everything faster and easier? The problem propably has to do with money and time, something that doesnt troubles people here ~:) theres no deadlines or advertisement expenses running. ~D

Iomenea

If you look at the pathetic "egyptian" faction you will see that the problem here isnt the amount of time or money but the allocation of it...
All that effort of making up fantasy units, skinning them, making the models the making up and writing of descriptions, names and balancing them could have gone to a different direction like the AI or other factions... Was it that hard to simply merely copy the Seleucid battleline and make other factions richer...
This mod will prove that when you want to enlighten the population you can do it but only without the publisher imposed Hollywood darkness...

Hellenes

Divinus Arma
03-20-2005, 17:15
Hellenes and Idomeneas,

I see both of your points. I submit to your arguments. Intrinsic motivation always outperforms extrinsic motivation.

Regards

tai4ji2x
03-20-2005, 21:49
what was the major bug?
btw CA screwed up on many points, lack of research in history and lack of programming

sorry, that thread got deleted, as is typical not just of CA's behavior but also just the shoddy features of ezboard.

i'm talking about the loadgame bug. here's a new thread on it. hopefully it will last a little while longer.

http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotalwarfrm7.showMessage?topicID=23486.topic

jerby
03-20-2005, 22:08
that is really dumb, i'm not an expert. but that is dumb, well what makes i dumb is the hardcoding that makes it impossible for you(eb) to fix.

tai4ji2x
03-20-2005, 23:40
that is really dumb, i'm not an expert. but that is dumb, well what makes i dumb is the hardcoding that makes it impossible for you(eb) to fix.

well i'm not too hard on the programmers and testers themselves, as individuals. i can see how something like this could slip by them. i can also understand that keeping things hardcoded protects their intellectual property. what i cannot forgive however, is how either activision or CA themselves are limiting themselves to only one real patch and that's that, plus their atrocious consumer/public relations. i can only hope sega might help them put out another patch, but realistically i'm not holding my breath.

hellenes
03-21-2005, 15:34
well i'm not too hard on the programmers and testers themselves, as individuals. i can see how something like this could slip by them. i can also understand that keeping things hardcoded protects their intellectual property. what i cannot forgive however, is how either activision or CA themselves are limiting themselves to only one real patch and that's that, plus their atrocious consumer/public relations. i can only hope sega might help them put out another patch, but realistically i'm not holding my breath.

Tai they keep things hardcoded to sell the expansion... Why do you think they decode them in the expansion? If they tried to "protect" their intellectual property they wouldnt decode them at all, so they CAN decode them in a patch but the money/publisher wont let them...
I understand the programmers and designers, they do it for money so if the publisher says: "Make the "egyptian" mummies!!! Those dumb@ssess out there have been treated as idiots by holywood so many times lets keep them in their darkness!!!"
Its the ENOURMOUS FAILIURE of the educational system that leads to ignorance and the domination of false beliefs...

Hellenes

tai4ji2x
03-21-2005, 18:57
how is "keep things hardcoded to sell the expansion" NOT an example of protecting their IP?

hellenes
03-21-2005, 22:38
how is "keep things hardcoded to sell the expansion" NOT an example of protecting their IP?

Well if they were afraid of getting hijacked by a hacker they would keep them hardcoded forever...Now why they open them in the expansion? Maybe because they feel competing with the modders? But on the other hand they have this nice ONE real patch policy to keep Blizzard and other more customer friendly companies happy...

Hellenes

tai4ji2x
03-21-2005, 23:01
on the other hand they have this nice ONE real patch policy

well, whatever the case about the closing/opening of the code, the above point is what's important. how a game of this complexity is given such a low level of support is appalling.

anyway, this is getting off topic...

GoreBag
03-21-2005, 23:33
Well if they were afraid of getting hijacked by a hacker they would keep them hardcoded forever...Now why they open them in the expansion? Maybe because they feel competing with the modders? But on the other hand they have this nice ONE real patch policy to keep Blizzard and other more customer friendly companies happy...

Hellenes

There's a second patch out, if that's what you mean.

AntiochusIII
03-22-2005, 00:16
Well, he (and me, and many others) don't count the 1.1 as a real patch since it is more of a 'quick fix' than a patch.

Unless you say there's 1.3 patch out it's still one real patch for this superb game of extreme complexity. Even now there are heavy issues that have not been solved, and really needs a patch. Bugs are supposed to be solved by patches and not expansions. Damn, I hate Activision. Let's just hope Sega is something different...

EB needs to create new factions! I'm gonna protest now...

Sarcasm
03-22-2005, 01:45
which ones do you think should be included?

GoreBag
03-22-2005, 02:34
Wait a second. What's all this about an expansion?

Sarcasm
03-22-2005, 02:41
Just a supposition.

If RTW follows the same pattern that STW and MTW followed....it will have 2 Patches (already does), then an expansion, and then a couple more patches.

GoreBag
03-22-2005, 03:10
All the hubbub is about...nothing at all? If there's another patch, there's another patch. I must be missing something.

WesW
03-29-2005, 01:09
Just a supposition.

If RTW follows the same pattern that STW and MTW followed....it will have 2 Patches (already does), then an expansion, and then a couple more patches.

I seem to remember a developer's post a couple of years ago on the subject of patches, and iirc, he said that the publisher required them to provide extensive documentation and conduct extensive playtesting on multiple computer systems before they could release it as an "official" patch, essentially the same requirements as for the initial release the game itself.
Therefore, extensive man-hours must be invested in jumping through mandated hoops for the publisher, making it too expensive to release patches unless they address critical issues with game stability, or an extensive list of bugs severe enough to significantly impact sales. This sucks, but unfortunately it's a fact of life in the software industry, and particularly the game industry.

cunobelinus
04-27-2005, 11:06
i have changed this post coz i did reasearch fo my own and found u have messed it up and read my other post to see wat i think.

jerby
04-27-2005, 14:28
they dont add factions, due to hardcoding issues. they are just replacing them: numidia will be represented by rebels and Bactria will be added

fabio
05-03-2005, 19:01
I would like to help on EB development!
How can I do it?

Fabio

khelvan
05-03-2005, 19:27
Please send me a PM letting me know how you think you can help us.

Cheers,

-khel

Dâriûsh
05-03-2005, 20:08
Well, this modification is looking quite astounding. Absolutely spectacular screenshots, I might add. I will most certainly be monitoring the progress closely. And I am definitely looking forward to the release. Good work, gentlemen

Regards.

basics
05-07-2005, 13:53
All You Modders.
Please, please make installation easier. Writing silly little explanations where one has to read the files is not good enough, especially for us who are not IT experts and who only want to try your mod on our systems. Surely with all the brains out there someone could write an installation file for all you modders to use in your own mod therefore making it simple and easy for us “no brains” to install without the crashing and reinstalling that results. If the purpose of mods is for the general enjoyment of all then please understand the frustration we endure trying to get it right. If you want the praise for your work, and in most cases it is excellent, then encourage, rather than discourage, us to install without mishaps, that is describe the process in detail or use a simple installation procedure like the original or RTR. For example I have 24 readme’s for 24 mods and not one has the same installation instructions or in most cases which version the mod is suitable for, and, some of these have the version suitability buried deep inside a mass of files. This is not a moan for moaning’s sake but a plea for us who have experienced the pleasure of adding new life to the game. If it wasn’t for you guys our RTW would be lying on a shelf as done and dusted, so keep up the great work but please make it easier for us in your plans.
Yours,
basics.

Temple
05-07-2005, 15:33
I believe the EB team have already stated that the mod will come with an installer. So no worries! ~;)

jerby
05-16-2005, 20:34
Just a supposition.

the expansion is confirmed. and i can live with it. the more concerning part is the "couple more patches"

Ferocious_Imbecile
05-21-2005, 21:56
Iomenea

If you look at the pathetic "egyptian" faction you will see that the problem here isnt the amount of time or money but the allocation of it...
All that effort of making up fantasy units, skinning them, making the models the making up and writing of descriptions, names and balancing them could have gone to a different direction like the AI or other factions... Was it that hard to simply merely copy the Seleucid battleline and make other factions richer...
This mod will prove that when you want to enlighten the population you can do it but only without the publisher imposed Hollywood darkness...

Hellenes
Hear! Hear!.

I'll drink to that! ~:cheers:

Ferocious_Imbecile
05-29-2005, 19:09
Our end product will be historically accurate enough to be used in the classroom as an educational tool. The campaign will be both an extremely fun experience and full of information geared toward introducing new persons to the rich history of the factions of the classical age.
~:cool:

cunobelinus
06-03-2005, 12:25
i do not agree that u have made it more historically acurrate i belive u have made less historically accurate and the units name in the orignal game are histoically accurate and u changed them wen there is no need. i have information in book and of the internet that proves that. i think u just want to mess around with game with no really looking at the real evidenceof history i agree u have done a good job but u havent looked at all the history and have made many mistakes.

Lord Tomyris Reloaded
06-03-2005, 13:10
Littlegannon, if you think that...you're hideously misinformed.

Epistolary Richard
06-03-2005, 13:14
i have information in book and of the internet that proves that.
Wow, do post this information and the name of the book, I know they'll be interested in it.

eadingas
06-03-2005, 13:15
Damnit guys, he's onto us. Yes, I think it's time to admit it - we've made it all up.

Lord Tomyris Reloaded
06-03-2005, 13:19
Yeh...I had my doubts when I found out what you'd called the new faction...I mean get it right, it's Bartix not Baktria dammit!!!

KingOfTheIsles
06-03-2005, 13:26
Quick everyone, get ready to write this down! Apparently modern English was in use several thousand years before we thought, during the time of the Romans! I mean, come on, "Agryapidsesadsdad" or whatever, everyone knows that they were known by the ancient Greek phrase: "Guys with pikes"

And Bunnginaz, or something? We should call him: "Hairy chap with a bow" All in the name of historical accuracy, right? ~:confused:

Teleklos Archelaou
06-03-2005, 15:02
Boise, Idaho - The EB offices have been officially cleared out and many members were photographed fleeing the building with large stacks of comic books and DVD copies of Xena trailing behind them. No actual books have been found, save an obscenely overdue copy of "Alexander the Great and the Mystery of the Mummy's Ghost". The only EB member available to answer questions was a certain "eadingas", whose car had been bootlocked in front of the building. He was unable to catch a ride with any of the other members, whose vehicles were rumored to have been loaded down with numerous live monkeys. Apparently the animals were chained to typewriters in the EB studios and were forced to hit their keyboards all day until sufficiently bizarre names were produced for EB factions and units. More sordid details may follow.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
06-03-2005, 16:58
Boise, Idaho - The EB offices have been officially cleared out and many members were photographed fleeing the building with large stacks of comic books and DVD copies of Xena trailing behind them. No actual books have been found, save an obscenely overdue copy of "Alexander the Great and the Mystery of the Mummy's Ghost". The only EB member available to answer questions was a certain "eadingas", whose car had been bootlocked in front of the building. He was unable to catch a ride with any of the other members, whose vehicles were rumored to have been loaded down with numerous live monkeys. Apparently the animals were chained to typewriters in the EB studios and were forced to hit their keyboards all day until sufficiently bizarre names were produced for EB factions and units. More sordid details may follow.LOLOLOLOL :laugh4:

Aymar de Bois Mauri
06-03-2005, 17:00
i do not agree that u have made it more historically acurrate i belive u have made less historically accurate and the units name in the orignal game are histoically accurate and u changed them wen there is no need. i have information in book and of the internet that proves that. i think u just want to mess around with game with no really looking at the real evidenceof history i agree u have done a good job but u havent looked at all the history and have made many mistakes.And this one... :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: :laugh4: ...no comments... :rolleyes:

Mongoose
06-03-2005, 17:27
Boise, Idaho - The EB offices have been officially cleared out and many members were photographed fleeing the building with large stacks of comic books and DVD copies of Xena trailing behind them. No actual books have been found, save an obscenely overdue copy of "Alexander the Great and the Mystery of the Mummy's Ghost". The only EB member available to answer questions was a certain "eadingas", whose car had been bootlocked in front of the building. He was unable to catch a ride with any of the other members, whose vehicles were rumored to have been loaded down with numerous live monkeys. Apparently the animals were chained to typewriters in the EB studios and were forced to hit their keyboards all day until sufficiently bizarre names were produced for EB factions and units. More sordid details may follow.

:laugh4:

I found this.."The EB scandal is far worse then it seems. The monkeys were used mostly for the units, the names of the factions are really hypnotic alien codes that are designed to put the player into a trance that will force them to 'donate' huge amounts of money to the EB team. When one EB member was corned by reporters on the third story floor of a building he jumped screaming out of a window to his death"

more to come...

Dux Corvanus
06-03-2005, 17:39
Quick everyone, get ready to write this down! Apparently modern English was in use several thousand years before we thought, during the time of the Romans!

Actually, thureoporoi comes from ancient English, "Thou art porous", in clear allusion to the drinking capacity of such troops. Other equivalences:

Argyraspid= "Are you rapid?" (Because they were so feared)

Tsorim= "Sore I'm" (Punic underwear was very rough)

Arche Seleukeia= "Hark! Sell ur kajak!" (Because of boat trade in the Sirian coast)

Sweboz= "Swede booze" (Germans bought alcohol in the far north)

Baktria= "Bacteria" (Bio war is unfortunately an ancient matter)

And so, and so... An they say we're misinformed... ~:rolleyes:

jerby
06-03-2005, 18:21
WHAHAHHA, great Sig dux. great

cunobelinus
06-03-2005, 19:12
have copied and pasted your names for some factions into Google and nothing comes up
Tsorim - fake
Sweboz - fake
Aediu (Gaul) is real
i admit some of it is true but most of it isnt the game before was very true to history other than parthia that isnt they were fether over .i think that u have a done a good job expanding but it aint true some of it adn u should change it to make it true to history !

Craterus
06-03-2005, 19:18
To be fair, littlegannon has a point.

I have searched:
Tsorim Carthaginians Phoenecians
Sweboz (I don't have the characters, but I copied and pasted from the thread) Ancient Germanic tribe into Google.com and nothing came up. What sources were you using to find out the the Carthaginian people were called this? I'm sure there would be some information on the Internet regarding there ancient names but I couldn't find any.

I'm not denying that EB is good, because it is and I look forward to it. I also respect the modders for all the work they have selflessly put in, I'm just enquiring your sources.

Meneldil
06-03-2005, 19:31
lol, don't bring the silly TWC debate here.
Google is in now way a good mean to find accurate, historical informations.

The fact you don't find something on google doesn't mean this thing is fake :balloon2:

cunctator
06-03-2005, 19:33
I don`t think you will find reconstructed ancient names written in latin letters in the internet. Why not trust the EB team if they have some ancient language experts?

Mongoose
06-03-2005, 19:35
just because something does not come up on google does not mean it's false

I'm not mad...i just like using larger letters:tongue2:

EDIT: woops, some one beat me to it...

The Wizard
06-03-2005, 19:44
The internet is a good source now? Maybe for your average book report you need to deliver tomorrow, while you haven't ever heard of the book before you looked in your agenda...

But for historical information? Specific historical information such as is needed for a mod for a game mostly concerned with military matters? Ancient texts and art? Etymology and anthropology on ancient peoples and languages?

No. The internet is a good source for your average school history project, such as "Alexander the Great did this and then did that and this is why" (even the last part being doubtful), but not for the historical accuracy we're looking for.

Now, littlegannon, I'd like to see your sources. We cannot take you seriously if you do not present them.

~Wiz

Teleklos Archelaou
06-03-2005, 19:46
Oh crap. I just entered my grandma's name into google, and there were no hits. I better call her right now and tell her she doesn't exist. And anyone who says she does, well i think u just want to mess around with me adn you are teh liars.

GoreBag
06-03-2005, 19:55
When one EB member was corned by reporters on the third story floor of a building he jumped screaming out of a window to his death"

Those disgusting reporters will do anything for a story.

Dux Corvanus
06-03-2005, 20:10
Alternatively, for a quick search, you can go out and ask randomly to anyone you see in the street: ~;p

- "Tsorim! What do you think? Answer!"

-"Huh?"
http://www.ccchronicle.com/back/1999_fall/99nov8/poll3.gif

-"Are you insulting me?"
http://www.ccchronicle.com/back/1999_fall/99nov8/poll1.gif

-"Ok, I'm out at 7"
http://www.ccchronicle.com/back/1999_fall/99nov8/poll2.gif

-"No, thanks, I got one yet"
http://www.ccchronicle.com/back/1999_fall/99nov8/poll4.gif

-"Besides, a quick search on Google just gave us this:"
http://premium1.uploadit.org/DuxCorvan//idiot.jpg

- "Demonstrated: Tsorim does not exist! TV says so!"
http://www.jmnoticias.com/wjmdata/_NOTimage/Alisonsky1.jpg

Long live the mass media access to culture... ~:rolleyes:

Big_John
06-03-2005, 20:19
i think gannon is just kidding.

i hope anyway....

Mongoose
06-03-2005, 20:45
Or should we say "Gannoix"? :laugh4:

EDIT: cornered was what i meant! i think i'll leave it...

ENSAIS
06-03-2005, 21:25
Sorry guys,
I finally am gonna break the seal for this one. I would humbly like to applaud Dux Corvanus' last post. Truly fun stuff.

The "man on the street" routine takes the cake.

"Ma'am, what do you think of ancient proto-Germanic languages?"
"Huh? Is it fattening?"

ANyway, I felt like adding my defacation to the collective pile. Thanks again.

ENSAIS

sharrukin
06-03-2005, 21:34
have copied and pasted your names for some factions into Google and nothing comes up
Tsorim - fake
Sweboz - fake
Aediu (Gaul) is real
i admit some of it is true but most of it isnt the game before was very true to history other than parthia that isnt they were fether over .i think that u have a done a good job expanding but it aint true some of it adn u should change it to make it true to history !

You have to remove the vowels as Punic script has none.

Thbo Tsrm Adrnm Wod Tsornm
Mark McMenamin

Paperback, February 1996

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:2-soYLVm7WIJ:phoenicia.org/press.html+tsrm+punic&hl=en&lr=lang_en

"THBO TSRM ADRNM WOD TSORNM [All about Phoenician Coinage]."

Sarcasm
06-03-2005, 21:51
Hey, and it's googled too! Whad'ya know, it's *real*......:rolleyes:

sharrukin
06-03-2005, 21:55
Hey, and it's googled too! Whad'ya know, it's *real*......:rolleyes:

Everyone knows that if it's not on Google it never happened!

Lord Tomyris Reloaded
06-03-2005, 22:25
the game before was very true to history other than parthia

Yeh, I mean- everyone knows the green Romans employed secret-service ninjas, Egyptian chariots were kings (or pharoahs, as you will) of the road c.270 BC, a good ole British clean-out involved chucking their collected heads* onto some other poor sod's turf, and about 50% of most armies were composed of dogs and women (though often it was hard to tell which was which- then again the same could be said of the men and the pigs- though only one was used in Greek barbeques of the period. I think.).

*Which apparantly held the soul of the person decapitated. Whoever owned the head would own the soul, and thus earn a slave in both this life and the next. Ah, let's be lenient and give those slaves to our enemies instead, eh?

jerby
06-03-2005, 22:51
Gannon,
I hate to break it to you, but unless your name is Bob gannon, or Jeff gannon, then you dont excist. Im very sorry for you, but your not real...

Dux Corvanus
06-03-2005, 23:19
Yeh, I mean- everyone knows the green Romans employed secret-service ninjas, Egyptian chariots were kings (or pharoahs, as you will) of the road c.270 BC, a good ole British clean-out involved chucking their collected heads* onto some other poor sod's turf, and about 50% of most armies were composed of dogs and women (though often it was hard to tell which was which- then again the same could be said of the men and the pigs- though only one was used in Greek barbeques of the period. I think.).

*Which apparantly held the soul of the person decapitated. Whoever owned the head would own the soul, and thus earn a slave in both this life and the next. Ah, let's be lenient and give those slaves to our enemies instead, eh?

Not to talk about... (gasp) ..."Spanish bull warriors"... (gulp)...

jerby
06-03-2005, 23:28
dont forget the Purple-parthians and the 3 exact copies of a roman legionare scattered around the world..

Mongoose
06-03-2005, 23:47
Also, the celts called themselves barbarians and spoke english...

jerby
06-04-2005, 11:01
and Greeks have a texan accent...

MAd Banker
06-04-2005, 14:33
and Greeks have a texan accent...

Damn...

Chuck Norris in "Walker Spartan Ranger", wouldn't that be cool? ~D

Mongoose
06-04-2005, 17:04
Greek commander: Ya'll attack that fort, you hear?
Greek soldier: Thats a good plan, i tell you what.

~:joker:

Sarcasm
06-04-2005, 18:15
The sad part is that I would watch that show.

GoreBag
06-04-2005, 19:55
The sad part is that I would watch that show.

I second this statement.

Ianofsmeg16
06-04-2005, 23:57
I've never posted on this thread before, but i've been reading it and....
**takes on an accent like will smith** DAMN... made me laugh out loud, and is it just me or has somebody got there facts wrong, would you take your sling into the middle of the parthian desert and wear some pink speckled trousers?...hmmmmm well, saying that i'm going to see a link form google saying "antique pink speckled parthian trousers found, scientists puzzeld"

And thats (as you americans would say) my two cents
btw no offence if i insulted anybody, just thought i'd go with the crowd
~:cheers:

General_Sun
06-05-2005, 00:39
Not to talk about... (gasp) ..."Spanish bull warriors"... (gulp)...

Those are real mate. :D

Ranika
06-05-2005, 00:48
God how I hate 'headhurlers'. Yeah, that's accurate. I spend the first ten years of my career as a soldier killing my tribe's enemies, narrowly avoiding death, probably having been grievously injured at least a few times, and all the while I collected the heads of my enemies that I strived to kill, nearly dying, myself, in the process. Yeah, really realistic that I'll just chuck a religious object and war trophy at my enemy. I've apparently collected so many heads, I just don't think I'll need that many slaves in the afterlife, so I'll try and share. Bleeding hell that's stupid.

Zero1
06-05-2005, 01:14
God how I hate 'headhurlers'. Yeah, that's accurate. I spend the first ten years of my career as a soldier killing my tribe's enemies, narrowly avoiding death, probably having been grievously injured at least a few times, and all the while I collected the heads of my enemies that I strived to kill, nearly dying, myself, in the process. Yeah, really realistic that I'll just chuck a religious object and war trophy at my enemy. I've apparently collected so many heads, I just don't think I'll need that many slaves in the afterlife, so I'll try and share. Bleeding hell that's stupid.

That is the same "exact" thing I was thinking when I first saw the "head hurlers"

Oh, I almost forgot...OMFG I TIPAD T3H THORIM STFF INTO TEH GGGLE ND IT DNT DUTRNNUP JUR AHLL GH3Y N TEH LIRE STFU PWNZ STFU PWNZ J00 SUXXOR

:D

Mongoose
06-05-2005, 03:44
How about "suicide head hurlers"? They pull their own head off and have a friend chuck it at the enemy!

Jebus
06-05-2005, 09:12
Hush, don't give Al Quaeda any ideas!

Dux Corvanus
06-05-2005, 10:24
How about "suicide head hurlers"? They pull their own head off and have a friend chuck it at the enemy!

A similar idea to my gaesatae eunuchs. A rain of bloody phalluses are sure to break the most sturdy formation of brave men...

"What's that? Aaaagh! It's stuck on my shield, take it out, take it out, yuck! Yikes!" "It's fallen on my face...!!! (sound of vomit)" ~;p

saulot333
06-05-2005, 11:00
Dux Corvanus, thank you for the ispiration :bow:
- Saulot's nightmares

Ianofsmeg16
06-05-2005, 11:00
btw, great job EB guys! no matter what anybody says your mod will be something that all RTW fans will love. Fun and, *cough* historically accurate to a google sense, i'll download it on 1 condition....are you keeping a briton faction? if you are put archers in!!! if you wont i'll sit here and pout until you do :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Ranika
06-05-2005, 11:03
We are keeping Britons, and don't worry, they'll have archers. Celtic skirmishing forces almost always had archers with them. Why CA opted for them to have slings only, and no archers, is beyond me. Gauls and Britons both will both have archers and slingers though.

Shigawire
06-05-2005, 11:34
heheheh as if Google is an adequately trustworthy method of invalidation...
Until all the world's books are digitized and put on the internet, the fact remains that you are STILL going to need to acquire ACTUAL BOOKS in order to get ANY worthwhile information on obscure -nigh exterminated- pieces of ancient history.
You were lucky McMenamin's reference to TSRM came up at all. :bow:
Although McMenamin's publications are a bit light (dictionary is 32 pages), so we tend to use mostly Krahmalkov's publications (500 pages).

This was a thoroughly entertaining thread. Thanks. ~;)

Ianofsmeg16
06-05-2005, 13:04
We are keeping Britons, and don't worry, they'll have archers. Celtic skirmishing forces almost always had archers with them. Why CA opted for them to have slings only, and no archers, is beyond me. Gauls and Britons both will both have archers and slingers though.

ah, so theres going to be no need for any pouting, darn, i do so love my pouting. great job! ~:)

Mongoose
06-05-2005, 15:34
"A similar idea to my gaesatae eunuchs. A rain of bloody phalluses are sure to break the most sturdy formation of brave men...

"What's that? Aaaagh! It's stuck on my shield, take it out, take it out, yuck! Yikes!" "It's fallen on my face...!!! (sound of vomit)" "

Well, your idea is fantasy but it won't work. The idea with the fantasy units is to get the 12 year old AOL people playing ~;) .

Ca would include it if what ever they throw is wrapped in a loin cloth! :tongue2:

Dux Corvanus
06-05-2005, 16:11
Ca would include if what ever they throw is wrapped in a loin cloth! :tongue2:

Or conveniently and attractively packed:

http://www.superiormeats.ca/publish/images/2147505254_FR_Meat_Pack.jpg

ENSAIS
06-05-2005, 16:15
* vomits *

Zero1
06-05-2005, 21:57
Whats the matter?, *Everyone* knows those dirty stinky smelly barbarians laminated their naughtybits ~D

Sarcasm
06-05-2005, 23:01
Whats the matter?, *Everyone* knows those dirty stinky smelly barbarians laminated their naughtybits ~D

I'm thinking of doing it myself...would save me a ton of cash in prophylactics... ~;)

jerby
06-07-2005, 16:02
i do not agree that u have made it more historically acurrate i belive u have made less historically accurate and the units name in the orignal game are histoically accurate and u changed them wen there is no need. i have information in book and of the internet that proves that. i think u just want to mess around with game with no really looking at the real evidenceof history i agree u have done a good job but u havent looked at all the history and have made many mistakes.

i think this is just Khelvan's new account, he should be having a blast when he's reading the responses ~;) ... This really is a good Troll

bodidley
06-07-2005, 16:20
He was so fun, I wish he would come back.

ENSAIS
06-07-2005, 16:53
I guess I overlooked the "utilitarian" aspect of having sausage pre packaged in watertight plastic...

Copperhaired Berserker!
06-07-2005, 18:14
Littlegannon, in a mod of this kind, many mistakes are made, at least we community help Eb out~:grouphug:

Mongoose
06-07-2005, 18:40
Not really ~;)

Copperhaired Berserker!
06-07-2005, 18:58
How dare you! *Gets pistol out and fires!* ~D

Ianofsmeg16
06-07-2005, 23:20
Nice sig mongoose!!! ~:cheers: ~:cheers:

Bar Kochba
06-08-2005, 07:37
sharpe books are bloody good youve reaad them??

Ianofsmeg16
06-08-2005, 12:12
got every single one
and ive read them all, yes they are damn good

Zin
06-10-2005, 22:06

I had a chance to catch up to the head hurler after he made that statement and asked him one question

"Sir, how do you keep the heads of all your enemies preserved?"
(I found it a bit weird that a barbarian from 2300 years ago could speak perfect english)
"State of the art refridgriator! Got it at SEARS for 2500$, it's a kenmore! Custom made to fit heads of all sizes!!"

He then proceeded to cut off my camera man's head. . .

Reverend Joe
06-12-2005, 04:56

:dizzy2: The things you run into online...

Zero1
06-12-2005, 07:53
I had a chance to catch up to the head hurler after he made that statement and asked him one question

"Sir, how do you keep the heads of all your enemies preserved?"
(I found it a bit weird that a barbarian from 2300 years ago could speak perfect english)
"State of the art refridgriator! Got it at SEARS for 2500$, it's a kenmore! Custom made to fit heads of all sizes!!"

He then proceeded to cut off my camera man's head. . .

:laugh4:

Craterus
06-12-2005, 22:14
The Celts did actually have Head Hurlers.

jerby
06-12-2005, 22:31
yeah, they threw the heads of their pets...

Mongoose
06-12-2005, 22:51
The Celts did actually have Head Hurlers.

Do you have a source on that? thanks :bow:

Boon
06-14-2005, 23:14
afaik 'head hurlers' en masse did not really exist, but throwing the heads of prominent enemy chieftans at their own forces was done. I dont have any evidence except i seem to remember reading about it in latin at some point.

Ranika
06-14-2005, 23:17
That doesn't constitute actual 'head hurlers'; they weren't soldiers that tried to impair enemies by throwing heads at them. When the Irish besieged Tara to retake it from the vikings, they threw in the heads of the defeated viking army to demoralize, not to harm; the heads were collected afterward and preserved as normal. Throwing heads was likely more of a rare event to demoralize a stalwart enemy or to unnerve. Using them as a military unit is asinine.

Big_John
06-14-2005, 23:24
didn't hasdrubal's head get tossed at hannibal's camp in italy? give the romans head hurlers NOW!!!! :furious3:

anonymous_joe
06-15-2005, 10:57
Sure everyone used severed heads as demoralising ammunition. That was done in the crusades, by barbarian armies, by anyone. It probably worked too. Not the kind of thing I'd want to have thrown at me.

Soulforged
08-03-2005, 08:55
I think the jobs of all the modders is worth much more praise (if this is something like "reverence" in english), an i mean all (of other games too), that that of the actual programmers, and this one will be great, but because the expansion is to be realised very soon then i'm not sure what are you people gonna deal with that, do you plan to start from scratch, adapt it or just ignore the expansion. Another think the headhurlers are an extremely stupid unit with non logics in it. Even if you could take 100 or more mans heads of an make some weakling among your army to throw them, the heads would never cause any harm, at best they could transmit a desease.... and i remember where do i saw an actual headhurler....it was on Gladiator!!!... and it was a german warlord very fear-inspiring, of almost 3 meters high, wich threw the head of the roman scout to the ground... with the best of the lucks he actually may had hurt some insect, but i doubt it. Let's be serious it could be seriously implemented for the barbarians like a secondary weapon of some units that causes moral damage but 0 FISICAL DAMAGE, so they throw some heads (let's say 10 max) and scare the enemy a little (or put them on the proper war fashion) and then charge or taunt, or after they kill and unit just grab their heads and throw them. But seriously did somebody think that in real life the heads will actually hurt (FOR GODS SAKE!!!)? And about the moral damage... it is very doubtful, i think that if the units varely trembled when seeing their partners being cut in two pieces by two-handed axes or their entrail outside the body, then a dead head of some unknow guy will be like... oh yes another dead well... (Thanks for reading this, very long indeed even for me)

Ludens
08-03-2005, 20:03
Another think the headhurlers are an extremely stupid unit with non logics in it.
Indeed, though historically there are some cases where severed heads were used to scare the enemy, as weapon it is nonsense. So we need not fear that they will be in EB.

On your question about the expansion for R:TW, the EB-team has decided to wait and see if the improvements in the expansion are worth the switch. Whether there will be an Europa barbarorum project for the time period of the expansion is not yet known.

Lord Tomyris Reloaded
08-03-2005, 22:18
I'd hope that if EB do make the switch, they do it over the new campaign so we get civil wars etc in the original time frame!

vizigothe
08-04-2005, 08:39
i dont mind waiting at all im not doing anything anyway

so i would like to thank you for all your hard work

and since i run a warehouse these are my words of advice

WORK FASTER YOU SCUMBUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Shaun
08-04-2005, 12:44
well EB might as well switch to BI, as it will probably be out after BI.

bodidley
08-04-2005, 22:55
But what about us poor saps who might not end up deciding to lay the extra dollars down for the expansion pack? If EB does make a BI compatible mod, it might as well still give us the vanilla-compatible version that is being made right now.

jerby
08-05-2005, 11:41
well you have a year before it's released, so start saving money..

Praefectus Praetoria
08-05-2005, 12:47
V. excited about this mod. Like many have said before EB will make RTW what it should have been all along apart from all the hard coded stuff which must be really annoying to work around. As for the 'fantasty/hollywood' units eg. bull**** warriors etc. it will be good to see them gone but what about Rome's elite units? Is it not true that the equites singulares were just a tiny group of mounted praetorians who guarded the Emporer? One thing I really like about EB is all the factions seem unique and independent ie. v few unit sharing as in vanilla + the skins do look amazing. As for BI I think it will pale in comparision with the effort and detail in EB and will hopefully make CA get their act together for the next total war

caesar44
08-05-2005, 17:39
A question (probably asked before) - there is going to be a change in the army march per season ? You know , to get from Rome to Aquileia (sp) in 1 year ??? it was a matter of days !

Biffy
08-10-2005, 13:16
Yeah, it only took about 4? days to sail to spain from italy around 40 AD, and it would take about 10? days to march from italy to northern france. How are you guys going to represent this? If these calculations are put into EB then surely people will be able to expand at an unrealistic/non historical rate?

Epistolary Richard
08-10-2005, 13:49
You have to remember that armies tend to be a lot slower than individual people or small groups. In the Napoleonic period, even disciplined armies would only cover 12 miles or so a day - and that's assuming they're fully supplied enroute and marching through friendly territory.

Now, even compared to that RTW is a bit of a snail's pace, but equally using multiple turns movement rates don't need to be upped too much to make it reasonably authentic.

Kali
08-10-2005, 15:33
Probably,
not the best place to post this. So I've moved it.

Biffy
08-10-2005, 15:58
Could somebody tell me where to go to post ideas and stuff for this mod please? Thanks.

QwertyMIDX
08-10-2005, 17:09
Just start a thread in the public forum.

Chester
08-10-2005, 20:17
I don't think they're open to ideas. I'm pretty sure they've layed out the basis for what they want EB to be, and as a team, are building upon it day by day.

khelvan
08-10-2005, 23:26
We're always open to ideas, we just haven't revealed everything yet.

Wishazu
08-15-2005, 12:16
how much longer, 28,000 views WOOT!

basics
09-13-2005, 22:20
Dear Total War Fans,
Can anyone tell me what has happened to RTR as it appears that their site is either down or up for sale? ~:confused: basics.

Bouchious
09-13-2005, 22:27
definetly not the place to ask.

Malrubius
09-13-2005, 23:06
Here's the relevant thread:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showpost.php?p=920935&postcount=10

Elthore
09-26-2005, 04:41
Last week Khelvan gave a very rough estimate, as early as two weeks. That could mean anywhere between a week, and a year from now...but the exact date doesnt concern me.
However, I'm curious as to how things are coming along. Any new problems, or neat new ideas to implement, or are things relatively the same as they were a couple of weeks ago?
thanks

ps. i dunno why that smiley is angry up there ~:confused: ...guess its not his day

kayapó
09-26-2005, 04:43
Last week Khelvan gave a very rough estimate, as early as two weeks. That could mean anywhere between a week, and a year from now...but the exact date doesnt concern me.
However, I'm curious as to how things are coming along. Any new problems, or neat new ideas to implement, or are things relatively the same as they were a couple of weeks ago?
thanks

What a sneaky way to ask for an estimate....

I got to hand it to you though, you did it nicely. ~;)

khelvan
09-26-2005, 05:13
Ok, I told you it wasn't an estimate, even a rough one. I will not be answering the questions of someone who twists my words around.

Elthore
09-26-2005, 07:32
man, you turned this win-win, into a lose-lose

Little Legioner
09-26-2005, 08:17
What a sneaky way to ask for an estimate....

~D Sneaky like Gollum preciouszhhh

RandyKapp
09-27-2005, 00:27
Man if Eb releases in the newxt couple of weeks im screwed. Too many games coming out, BI, total warrior etc

khelvan
09-27-2005, 05:49
man, you turned this win-win, into a lose-loseI hope you meant him, as I did my best to help you guys without saying the things that always get projects like this in trouble. And yet, of course, someone came along and made that cognitive leap.

Elthore
09-27-2005, 07:00
i seriously wasnt asking for a date though...sometimes you let us know when the team runs into trouble, or if something special is taking extra time. that sorta thing is what i wanted. i understand your 'its done when its done' attitude, you make it very clear, but dont turn this into a witch hunt.
im no witch :book:

GoreBag
09-27-2005, 07:34
im no witch

He's lying. :stare:

Malrubius
09-27-2005, 07:52
Burn 'im!

(unless he weighs as much as a swallow, of course). :wink:

GoreBag
09-27-2005, 08:31
Burn 'im!

(unless he weighs as much as a swallow, of course). :wink:

A duck, and if he does weigh as much as a duck, he's made of wood, and therefore...a witch.

khelvan
09-27-2005, 08:35
The win-win was trying to update you guys on our progress without providing an estimate, as estimates cause problems.

The moment you responded with the complete butchering of my post into an estimate, it became lose-lose. Seriously now, what could possibly have possessed you to make that post? What in the world would make you think that could help the situation?

You may not realize it, but I spend a good portion of my time responding to questions dealing with people who take something I say and make out of it something completely unreasonable. First and foremost, calling the one estimate I did make, long ago, a "promise." There is a reason why I have absolutely refused to give any estimates since then.

You are not a witch, but I wish you would exercise a little judgement before posting. It is much easier for me to go back to the state of not telling you anything at all about our progress than it is to deal with the consequences when I give you guys some info and it is termed an "estimate."

Edit: Sorry about the "he" bit, I didn't bother to check the name of the original poster, as I really couldn't (and can't) imagine a scenario where my message was the one that changed the situation.

Zero1
09-28-2005, 02:08
A duck, and if he does weigh as much as a duck, he's made of wood, and therefore...a witch.

HE TURNED ME INTO A NEWT!

Temple
09-28-2005, 07:04
The win-win was trying to update you guys on our progress without providing an estimate, as estimates cause problems.

The moment you responded with the complete butchering of my post into an estimate, it became lose-lose. Seriously now, what could possibly have possessed you to make that post? What in the world would make you think that could help the situation?

You may not realize it, but I spend a good portion of my time responding to questions dealing with people who take something I say and make out of it something completely unreasonable. First and foremost, calling the one estimate I did make, long ago, a "promise." There is a reason why I have absolutely refused to give any estimates since then.

You are not a witch, but I wish you would exercise a little judgement before posting. It is much easier for me to go back to the state of not telling you anything at all about our progress than it is to deal with the consequences when I give you guys some info and it is termed an "estimate."

Edit: Sorry about the "he" bit, I didn't bother to check the name of the original poster, as I really couldn't (and can't) imagine a scenario where my message was the one that changed the situation.

khelvan.. i have trumendous respect for you, and can identify with your defensive position, but i think your acting very unreasonable on this.
this person was nothing if not nice, never implied that he/she wanted a definitive date NOW and never posted an ulimatum or anyhig to that effect. and yt you hauled out the catapult, loadd it up with barrels of burning oil and let fly!
i found that uncivil and uncalled for.

jerby
09-28-2005, 15:20
i just love that part..
great movie..tough i don't quite understand those french-men..

GoreBag
09-28-2005, 18:16
i just love that part..
great movie..tough i don't quite understand those french-men..

What's not to understand about the French? They're French!

jerby
09-28-2005, 18:24
..nothing to add to that..
weird people..just like swiss

Moros
09-28-2005, 19:04
or...~;)

and The holy grail is a good movie indeed!

Ecky-Ecky-ecky-ecky-pikang zoop boing goodem zo-owli-zhiv!

khelvan
09-28-2005, 20:49
I apologize if anyone feels offended, but on this issue I have zero tolerance, and will repeat my actions should this happen again. Let this be a warning to anyone who changes my words into an estimate; I will bring out the catapults and fire the burning oil.

jerby
09-28-2005, 21:21
we wouldn't dare to offend an EB demi-god...

btw, what happened to the building issue? is it causing in-game-slowdown?

khelvan
09-28-2005, 22:04
Calling me an "EB demi-god," even in obvious jest, doesn't help this situation, jerby. I'm just trying to do my job, and sometimes that means taking the velvet gloves off.

jerby
09-28-2005, 22:12
yeah, i understand. i can't even begin to comprehend what it takes to "lead" a project like this..

but what i was trying to say was more like: 'every anticipator here has no buisness in offending you...of all the people here, you get a lot of respect..

~;) and by now, i think everybody saying "estimate" has been so scared shitless of your performace they won't dare to do it again. ~:joker:

Duncan_Hardy
09-28-2005, 22:22
I think people have a cheek to demand "estimates" for a free - FREE!!! - mod.

Oh, and

[the French are] weird people..just like swiss

Have you got something against me? :duel: I am Swiss, and have some French blood too :annoyed:

Fenrhyl
09-28-2005, 22:51

And we are SO pleased when others think about us this way.

[thinks about it a moment]

[has a great idea]

Stop asking for estimates or i bury you under a pile of very smelly cheese. <Maniacal laughter>

Proper Gander
09-28-2005, 23:22
I am Swiss...

you're swiss and live in england?
heh, I'm english and live in Basel.

*sings*

I'M AN ENGLISHMAN IN BASLLLLEE

GoreBag
09-29-2005, 03:44
And we are SO pleased when others think about us this way.

[thinks about it a moment]

[has a great idea]

Stop asking for estimates or i bury you under a pile of very smelly cheese. <Maniacal laughter>

I was actually just setting it up for when someone said something like, "What do you mean?" I would reply with the line about the "outrrrrrrageous accent".

You mean runny cheese, don't you?

Reverend Joe
09-29-2005, 04:25
Runny cheese... Brie... Mmmm... https://img34.imageshack.us/img34/9566/drool6nk.gif

Back to why I came- Khelvan- have we seen the last preview?

Fenrhyl
09-29-2005, 08:56

Runny AND smelly. We have M4d l33t sK1lLz with cheese (and don't listen to what the dutch say about it, as long as we'll be in the hood they'll only be the second.)

Hé, vait a meenute ! vat iz aboot outrrrageousse accent ?

Divinus Arma
09-29-2005, 09:16
Who wants an estimate? Here ya go:

Fenrhyl
10-01-2005, 04:23

Imperial measures or international ones ?

Malrubius
10-04-2005, 01:34
Upon the incorporation of Part Two of Spidr's major effort in the area of religion, encompassing 5000 lines of triggers alone, in conjunction with kayap&#243;'s extensive and tireless work in several areas, ranging from ancillaries to traits, I am pleased to announce the addition of another "*" to the Europa Barbarorum Traits and Ancillaries Progress-O-Meter, bringing us to 40% complete status, with all major Open Beta features in place, and except for a few minor tweaks and things (like stuffing in more traits and ancillaries, which goes on around the clock at our factory), making us (traiters) Open Beta Ready (TM).

Party at kayap&#243;'s in Rio!
~:grouphug: :party: :joker: :crowngrin: :guitarist: :party3: ~:cheers:

kayapó
10-04-2005, 03:09
Party at kayap&#243;'s in Rio!
~:grouphug: :party: :joker: :crowngrin: :guitarist: :party3: ~:cheers:

Come join the Traiters party...~:cheers:

https://img64.imageshack.us/img64/7889/70allsamplesf01jpg1fd.th.jpg (https://img64.imageshack.us/my.php?image=70allsamplesf01jpg1fd.jpg)https://img64.imageshack.us/img64/5849/aa0024f8pd.th.jpg (https://img64.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aa0024f8pd.jpg)https://img64.imageshack.us/img64/593/copacaba1jk.th.jpg (https://img64.imageshack.us/my.php?image=copacaba1jk.jpg)

https://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9498/rio1280x1024l0oi.th.jpg (https://img64.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rio1280x1024l0oi.jpg)https://img64.imageshack.us/img64/5760/riodejaneiromaggio2003373bi.th.jpg (https://img64.imageshack.us/my.php?image=riodejaneiromaggio2003373bi.jpg)https://img64.imageshack.us/img64/3792/riodejaneiro2nz.th.jpg (https://img64.imageshack.us/my.php?image=riodejaneiro2nz.jpg)

https://img153.imageshack.us/img153/9948/maracana7ua.th.jpg (https://img153.imageshack.us/my.php?image=maracana7ua.jpg)https://img159.imageshack.us/img159/5021/p19108jp.th.jpg (https://img159.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p19108jp.jpg)https://img159.imageshack.us/img159/8240/riodejaneiro197jq.th.jpg (https://img159.imageshack.us/my.php?image=riodejaneiro197jq.jpg)

AQUELE ABRA&#199;O

Gilberto Gil

O Rio de Janeiro continua lindo
O Rio de Janeiro continua sendo
O Rio de Janeiro, fevereiro e mar&#231;o
Al&#244;, al&#244;, Realengo - aquele abra&#231;o!
Al&#244;, torcida do Flamengo - aquele abra&#231;o!
Chacrinha continua balan&#231;ando a pan&#231;a
E buzinando a mo&#231;a e comandando a massa
E continua dando as ordens no terreiro
Al&#244;, al&#244;, seu Chacrinha - velho guerreiro
Al&#244;, al&#244;, Terezinha, Rio de Janeiro
Al&#244;, al&#244;, seu Chacrinha - velho palha&#231;o
Al&#244;, al&#244;, Terezinha - aquele abra&#231;o!
Al&#244;, mo&#231;a da favela - aquele abra&#231;o!
Todo mundo da Portela - aquele abra&#231;o!
Todo m&#234;s de fevereiro - aquele passo!
Al&#244;, Banda de Ipanema - aquele abra&#231;o!
Meu caminho pelo mundo eu mesmo tra&#231;o
A Bahia j&#225; me deu r&#233;gua e compasso
Quem sabe de mim sou eu - aquele abra&#231;o!
Pra voc&#234; que meu esqueceu - aquele abra&#231;o!
Al&#244;, Rio de Janeiro - aquele abra&#231;o!
Todo o povo brasileiro - aquele abra&#231;o!

https://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6011/dancing5jt.gif https://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6011/dancing5jt.gif https://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6011/dancing5jt.gif https://img209.imageshack.us/img209/6011/dancing5jt.gif

Ypoknons
10-04-2005, 03:48
Holy flying spaghetti monster! Even the under-21 (a month in America is eternity, my friends) can drink EB!

Little Legioner
10-04-2005, 14:22
200 models have been made by your factory like team. What is the final situation and what is the aimed count of them? :bow:

Jebus
10-06-2005, 15:09
*coughs*

EB team, I hereby give you my official fiat to release the Open Beta.

Go ahead.

jerby
10-06-2005, 15:12
very kind of you..

khelvan
10-06-2005, 17:08
Yay, now that Jebus says it's ok...that's what we've been waiting for!

Jebus
10-06-2005, 18:38
I'm sorry I didn't do this earlier, but I was busy trying to get beer out of my hair.

Alexanderofmacedon
10-06-2005, 23:20
Hey guys, I'm kind of new to EB, so please don't get mad at such a question:bow:

If it's not too much trouble, when is the expected release date of this mod? Will it work with BI only or with RTW without BI?:help:

I would appreciate any info from anyone!~D

Reenk Roink
10-06-2005, 23:31
Well, the fact is that EB doesnt like these "when will it be released" questions much (a little too much overkill:furious3:) but suffice to say the Open Beta will be released soon, once they tie up all the loose ends. Good things come to those who are patient. ~;)

As for the RTW or BI thing, this has already been addressed: the Open Beta WILL be released on RTW, after that is up to the EB team's discretion.

Hope that helps.

Ypoknons
10-07-2005, 02:48
Sadly, being new is no excuse for not reading everything in the forum.

1. Expected release date? Never ask that; even if they give it to you it's probably not going to happen.
2. RTW, no BI.

khelvan
10-07-2005, 05:45
EB has no problems with people asking when it will be released. Of course, the fact that we've answered that question many times doesn't stop anyone from asking ~:)

What EB has a problem with are people who state that we have made an "estimate" when we have not. Should I not assume everyone can understand this distinction?

vizigothe
10-07-2005, 06:18
im just patiently waiting for EB

i wish i could be new to following this mod, then i wouldnt be so depressed about it not being out yet

then again if i was new i wouldnt be as estatic as i will be when it comes out

jerby
10-07-2005, 11:29
EB has no problems with people asking when it will be released. Of course, the fact that we've answered that question many times doesn't stop anyone from asking ~:)

What EB has a problem with are people who state that we have made an "estimate" when we have not. Should I not assume everyone can understand this distinction?
when will it be released?

khelvan
10-07-2005, 16:32
when will it be released?When it's ready. :dizzy2:

jerby
10-07-2005, 19:56
and we're back to square one....

but i can assume that "when it's done" c&#225;n be used as a real deadline, withotu pissing you off

~;) and i'll come complaining to you when you don't hold that deadline!

Moros
10-07-2005, 20:30
~;) and i'll come complaining to you when you don't hold that deadline!
:dizzy2:
but perhaps it's all ready done or perhaps there isn't even a mod and were just playing some kind of sadistic game with you? ~:eek:

Mongoose
10-09-2005, 03:33
Yup. It's all just abunch of cruel high school students with good photoshop skills and too much free time. There are only 4 members; every one else is just an extra account of those members..........

I can't wait until the day that the secret can be let out. i look forword to starting an"IN YOUR FACES!" thread~D

the truth is out there.

Divinus Arma
10-09-2005, 03:44
the truth is out there.

It Sure is... (http://www.thexfilesmusic.com/audio/x-files_theme.wav)~:eek:

Click and minimize window quickly.

Then very slowly scroll down for the TRUTH:

wait for it...

The TRUTH IS OUT THERE...

https://img113.imageshack.us/img113/5450/currentmindlesspic8cu.png (https://imageshack.us)

~:eek:

Mongoose
10-09-2005, 03:57
that was quite disturbing, DA..OR SHOULD I SAY "KHELVAN"!!!

Divinus Arma
10-09-2005, 04:20

Wow. You really are a conspiracy theorist if you think that.~:eek:

bruntus
11-22-2005, 21:21
So, where does this mod stand? Close, rewrite, never?

tk-421
11-23-2005, 02:27
I am not a team member but I know what their answer will be. It will be released when it is ready to be released.

Reverend Joe
11-23-2005, 04:07
So, where does this mod stand? Close, rewrite, never?
SOON!

:stare:

tk-421
11-23-2005, 05:17
SOON!

:stare:

I didn't expect that one.

saulot333
11-23-2005, 08:56
Yes....being only the fortieth time I saw it :D

vizigothe
11-23-2005, 17:52
well since i need to RA my video card no need to hurry ~D

however soon sounds plesant

edyzmedieval
11-24-2005, 20:44
At least it's soon...I'm nervous about the release....

Ergion
11-25-2005, 14:10
Yes, as soon as be done

Moros
11-25-2005, 21:52
Yes, as soon as be done
don't worry be hapyy. no really believe me it's comming really close.

Spendios
11-25-2005, 22:05
don't worry be hapyy. no really believe me it's comming really close.

Really close ! ~:eek:

Moros
11-25-2005, 22:09
Really close ! ~:eek:
. . .

you must know really is subjective.~:) no it's close, I'll say just close. cause ya never know and stuff...
:hide:

Dayve
11-26-2005, 07:30
IS IT DONE YET!!!!!11111!1!11111111 ~:confused: ~:mecry:

Moros
11-26-2005, 14:47
|\|0\|/, |)0|\|'7 574|27 74|_|{1|\| 1337!!!1111!11!!11

ah, the questions of life. ~;p

khelvan
11-28-2005, 06:56
I believe 0.7 will be ready in just a few days. Unless testing finds things horribly wrong, after that it will just be a couple of weeks, I think. Sooner if things are perfect. But, keep in mind that internally such guesses are generally off, so I guess EB might be a nice Christmas present. We'll see.

Ypoknons
11-28-2005, 07:15
We must really pretend that khelvan said nothing.

menander
11-28-2005, 08:37
Wait... 0.7 is the Beta, yeah? So the Beta in a few days? Or a few weeks?

So confused...

edyzmedieval
11-28-2005, 10:49
Open or closed beta?!

Epistolary Richard
11-28-2005, 14:24
What khelvan meant to say was that he hopes a final _internal_ build will be available in a few days. Then there'll be a period of final bug-hunting to find the most obvious issues (the last internal build, for example, had a CTD bug after a few years which has now been fixed). And then we're looking at the Open Beta. Note that khelvan said it 'might be a Christmas present'... you don't get your Christmas presents at the beginning of December, do you? :wink:

Greek_fire19
11-28-2005, 14:56
That's cool. Take as long as you need, but don't be holding off until december 24th just because it's cute ~:rolleyes:

Mouzafphaerre
11-28-2005, 16:31
In these parts the majority of the few people who celebrate Christmas do it on Jan 6th. ~;p

Epistolary Richard
11-28-2005, 17:04
but don't be holding off until december 24th just because it's cute

We can't help it...

https://img366.imageshack.us/img366/1705/cutebabywithfriend20copy3mp.jpg (https://imageshack.us)

Spendios
11-28-2005, 20:41
I believe 0.7 will be ready in just a few days. Unless testing finds things horribly wrong, after that it will just be a couple of weeks, I think. Sooner if things are perfect. But, keep in mind that internally such guesses are generally off, so I guess EB might be a nice Christmas present. We'll see.

If this happens this is great news !
I can't wait :jumping:

GoreBag
11-28-2005, 22:00
You don't get your Christmas presents at the beginning of December, do you? :wink:

Yep. I don't open them until Christ-Mass, but I do GET them rather early. And since I don't plan on ripping the beta to pieces anyway...

vizigothe
11-29-2005, 16:46
well by the time this comes out my computer will be more than capable to play RTW the way i want to again, max everything

but i kinda want it now!

Samurai Fanatic
11-29-2005, 17:53
im hoping its tomorrow, if it is.....~:eek: :duel: ~:cheers: ~:cheers: :phonecall: :thrasher: :elephant: :horn:

Callatian
11-30-2005, 14:39
The Trivium Organization is proud to present: Europa Barbarorum, a complete conversion for Rome: Total War.

The TTO is no more - It has been been transformed in the NTO (New Trivium Organization) ... so I assume that the EB no longer requires to use the TTO trademark. Still EB is entitled at the TTO legacy - so its up to the EB managers to decide what they will do with the TTO trademark inside or outside EB.

antiochus epiphanes
12-03-2005, 02:23
i bet he means christmas in 06~:mecry: ...........

the_handsome_viking
12-04-2005, 09:00
awwwwwwww imagine them working on christmas day, ahaha

Spendios
12-04-2005, 13:08
So, what is the progress of the closed beta ? Are things doing well or have new problems appeared ?

Crownsteler
12-04-2005, 13:18
What khelvan meant to say was that he hopes a final _internal_ build will be available in a few days. Then there'll be a period of final bug-hunting to find the most obvious issues (the last internal build, for example, had a CTD bug after a few years which has now been fixed). And then we're looking at the Open Beta. Note that khelvan said it 'might be a Christmas present'... you don't get your Christmas presents at the beginning of December, do you? :wink:

Well, actually yes I do! December 5th is our national-santa-claus-present-giving-day-you-americans-later-stole-and-moved-to-christmas, honestly! So can I have it earlier? ;)

Greek_fire19
12-04-2005, 13:50
Yeah, hows the final internal build shaping up?

Steppe Merc
12-04-2005, 23:12
Well, we have encountered some problems with something that I don't understand, but am trying to.

That clear it up? ~;)

jerby
12-07-2005, 21:06

you're absolutly right!

even though i found Khelvan bashing himself for beiing drunk quite a gooddiversion

Dayve
12-07-2005, 22:46
Is it finished yet!? :hide:

Krusader
12-08-2005, 13:36
Is it finished yet!? :hide:

Probably take another year before EB is finished.
The open beta though...

Samurai Fanatic
12-12-2005, 18:25
in about a year the next totalwar game will probably b released if they are making one.

Moros
12-12-2005, 19:07
who needs a new TWR when there'll be EB ~:)

Ergion
12-12-2005, 19:53
who needs a new TWR when there'll be EB ~:)

We will play the new TW game while we awaiting for the OB :san_tongue:

Spendios
12-12-2005, 19:56
who needs a new TWR when there'll be EB

EB will lead to the the ruin of CA :san_laugh:

Zenith Darksea
12-13-2005, 00:03
It still astonishes me at how amateur skinners can absolutely put a professional team to shame. Still, no doubt CA will be spending too much time with their eyes shut and their fingers in their ears to think about that.

Byzantine Mercenary
12-13-2005, 12:47
EB will probably help CA more than harm it by incorageing more people to get the game to run EB on it

Mouzafphaerre
12-13-2005, 12:52
No CA bashing please! :stare:

ENSAIS
12-14-2005, 16:38
Like all of your loyal fans,
I look foward to a (possible) holiday release of the long-awaited EB Beta. The work shown to date looks wonderful!

Good luck, and I wish you a speedy resolution of any last-minute obstacles!

ENSAIS:san_grin:

Ypoknons
12-14-2005, 20:19
Ah, how wonderful it is that the 1.5/1.6 patch is out. Even more wonderful is that EB will released after my finals, so that I may concentrate on my studies!

Spendios
12-14-2005, 20:26
Ah, how wonderful it is that the 1.5/1.6 patch is out. Even more wonderful is that EB will released after my finals, so that I may concentrate on my studies!

Yeah, I finish my exams on Friday so I thanks the EB team for not having released the Open Beta this week...
Btw I have two weeks holidays at the end of the week so if you could release it during the week-end it will be very nice :san_grin:

Dayve
12-14-2005, 21:49
ob please :san_angry:

Ypoknons
12-14-2005, 22:06
I'll finish Monday actually and flying home next Sunday. How brilliant it would be for the EB team to release the OB so that a poor homesick kid can lose himself in the beauty of EB whilist on a sixteen hour flight! :san_laugh:

It's a funny world where studying one side of the globe and living on the opposite side, flying 16 hours to go home, seems perfectly normal!

Malrubius
12-20-2005, 00:47
We've added enough new things, including some pretty neat things that were envisioned by kayapó, that I feel confident in pronouncing the Traits and Ancillaries 45% complete! :san_smiley:

There's still much to be done, but we're almost halfway there. :san_shocked:

I'm also pretty sure there aren't any crippling CTD bugs hiding within the traits and ancillaries files. :san_grin:

hellenes
12-20-2005, 02:31
We've added enough new things, including some pretty neat things that were envisioned by kayapó, that I feel confident in pronouncing the Traits and Ancillaries 45% complete! :san_smiley:

There's still much to be done, but we're almost halfway there. :san_shocked:

I'm also pretty sure there aren't any crippling CTD bugs hiding within the traits and ancillaries files. :san_grin:

This is SCARY!!!
It took you 1 year to make 45% will it take another one to complete?
And with the whole:
"Its a final product, we have families to feed and boss shouting on us but we call it Open "Beta" for fun."
Should I expect the Open "Beta" to be out Christmas 2006...

Hellenes

Dayve
12-20-2005, 02:57
My motto has always been - always expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed...

Buy a decent joystick and have some fun with BF2 whilst you're waiting... It's working for me.

Malrubius
12-20-2005, 03:16
This is SCARY!!!
It took you 1 year to make 45% will it take another one to complete?
And with the whole:
"Its a final product, we have families to feed and boss shouting on us but we call it Open "Beta" for fun."
Should I expect the Open "Beta" to be out Christmas 2006...

Hellenes

Actually, I've only been with EB since April, so it's taken less than 9 months to get to 45% (or about 5% per month) with the traits and ancillaries. So perhaps we can be finished with them before December 2006, if therother doesn't come up with some more features to include before then. The traits are still very much in "beta" mode, because the basic features are in, but not a lot of the bells and whistles. :san_smiley:

As for families and bosses, my family is starving and my boss is about to fire me, but my more important traits work must continue! :san_wink:

I think the Open Beta will be out before December, 2006. That's my prediction, but it's not an official statement that it will be out before then. It's just a guess. :san_tongue:

ScionTheWorm
12-20-2005, 03:23
so how long has it been now... 1 1/2 year? dec 2006 will then be 2 1/2 years (if it's 1 1/2 year now). sorry not nagging, just reflecting upon it. the amount of details I've read about the last couple of days just makes me dying for the game. sorry not kissing ass, still just reflecting

Dayve
12-20-2005, 06:04
So all this talk of the open beta being released soon is just... crud? Or will it actually be released soon... As in, within december or early january... :san_angry:

the_handsome_viking
12-20-2005, 06:46
Good things take time.

khelvan
12-20-2005, 10:24
So all this talk of the open beta being released soon is just... crud? Or will it actually be released soon... As in, within december or early january... :san_angry:By that criteria it will be released soon, yes.

Spendios
12-20-2005, 11:24
Be patient guys, the longer we wait the better it will be !

ScionTheWorm
12-20-2005, 14:52
oh I suddenly got the feeling of christmay joy :san_grin:

Dayve
12-20-2005, 23:10
Lucky you... That feeling seems to be dead within me, not even EB has been able to revive it... OB please :san_angry:

ScionTheWorm
12-21-2005, 00:45
oh I suddenly feel a urge to spam... with pictures or something... I've never been a spammer before, and I have never looked upon myself as someone who would spam. I don't even want to

any psychologists here?

Revelation
12-21-2005, 07:01
So all this talk of the open beta being released soon is just... crud? Or will it actually be released soon... As in, within december or early january... :san_angry:

Tee hee mate. I asked the same thing roughly around May?, or there abouts. I got a cryptic answer back then also, which hinted at a few weeks.
Best thing you can do is expect it to not be released or completely forget about it, that way if/when it is released you will be pleasantly suprised.
Check the website every week or so. Dont delve to deeply, just skim the surface to browse for release hints that way it does not get annoying.
Plenty of other great games out there atm to keep us occupied. Treat EB as in development. If it gets released great, if not no biggie.