PDA

View Full Version : City/Province naming convention

khelvan
10-28-2004, 00:14
Greetings, everyone.

We need to continue our discussion about the nature of province and city names. We have to come to a consensus about how we will name them. Are we going with Latin names for everything, with names appropriate for the culture of the city/province c. 270 BC, or with names appropriate for the original ethnic origin of the city/province?

We should decide on this soon so that we can have this complete for our first public release. Please add your vote.

Stormy
10-28-2004, 01:01
Excellent poll khelvan. I think it should be between #3 #4. It will be a little bit hard to find the original ethnic names for each region.

Dead Moroz
10-28-2004, 09:09
Vote for Latin name.

My reasons:
1. Title of the game - "Rome: Total War".
2. In many cases it's just impossible to find local names.
3. Names in different languages will bring just extra anarchism in game. ~;)

[cF]HanBaal
10-28-2004, 16:02
can't vote... when will I be 'qualified' to vote in polls? :help:

but I ask to definitely NOT give 'all latin names' .. me not like it:thumbsdown: . I like the founding ethnic original name idea though the controling faction's name around 270BC is also a very nice hypothesis and perhaps the most feasible. I (mentally) 'vote' for a mix of these last 2 options since sometimes the controling factions for 270BC simply adopted the city's original name. If we find difficulty in some cases we can always adopt what we have :yes:

khelvan
10-28-2004, 18:27
So, you can post but not vote in the poll? How silly. I will add your "mental" vote to the tally (hopefully this describes your voting method and not your state of mind ;).

chemchok
10-28-2004, 18:38
I'm for using Latin names; the game (and actual history) is too fluid to use the the second or third options.

Stormy
10-29-2004, 04:42
~:eek: Woops* I mean #2 & #3

sharrukin
10-30-2004, 14:36
Latin names are easier and have more name recognition but for some areas that will not work. Byzacium for example should be changed to a Punic one. We should try to find as many native names as we can, as long as they don't sound too goofy. We are probably need to go with Latin or Greek names in any case.

khelvan
11-01-2004, 01:49
Well, so far we have very mixed results. Until we have a consensus, I am inclined to go with the majority and try to give cities/provinces names appropriate for the ethnicity of the time period and if unable to, go with Latin, or Greek, where appropriate.

Dead Moroz
11-01-2004, 10:10
How about to make two variants of imperial_campaign_regions_and_settlement_names.txt? One for those who wants Latin names, and one for others who prefer "native" names.

Ranika
11-01-2004, 18:30
We could give Latin names to those places where the name is too difficult to find, and appropriate, ethnic names to places where we know what they are. One example already in the game is Tara. Tara was an early Gaelic word, the Romans used it though as they had a word, I think, that was identical, but had a different meaning (though I may just be thinking of the Romano-British, who shared some words with the Gaels, but Goedelic and Brythonic languages are otherwise vastly different).

Did the actual Romans call Tara Tara?

khelvan
11-02-2004, 06:55
We need to release only one version of the mod, when we do release. So we're going to have to come to some sort of agreement on this. We can't develop multiple anything for different choices, in the end we're going to have to do just one thing. So let's work this out.

Aymar de Bois Mauri
11-04-2004, 16:26
We need to release only one version of the mod, when we do release. So we're going to have to come to some sort of agreement on this. We can't develop multiple anything for different choices, in the end we're going to have to do just one thing. So let's work this out.
Limit the poll until 5 days from now. The proposal with the most votes wins.

eadingas
11-08-2004, 11:29
In my mod I do latinized versions of original names. I have managed to find names for most settlements in Europe. They are latinized, because latin geographers are the only possible source, but they are pre-roman conquest. There's plenty of them to be found. And I left 'Campus XXX' for places where there is no info on towns whatsoever, but it's really quite rare (northern and eastern corners of the map, mostly).

anti_strunt
11-23-2004, 23:07
I really prefer latin names for everything, gives the map a nice feeling of consistency... Though for some reason I can't vote in the poll? ~:confused:

Colovion
11-24-2004, 05:34
Well, so far we have very mixed results. Until we have a consensus, I am inclined to go with the majority and try to give cities/provinces names appropriate for the ethnicity of the time period and if unable to, go with Latin, or Greek, where appropriate.

my thoughts exactly

Aymar de Bois Mauri
11-24-2004, 05:40
Well, guys! You oppinion always counts, but you must notice that the last post was in November 8th. We are already changing names according to the poll result... ~:)

Hermenefred
01-13-2005, 04:07
I would be for a detailed representation of all master areas.
Examples:

Haeduer, Senonen, Parisian, Leuker and Mediomatriker = new
fraction group,

Helvetier(3 pagi, Tiguriner...), Rauraker, Tulinger, Arverner, Sequaner etc. = new fraction group,

Consuaneten, Likatier, Brigantier, Leunen, Rukinantes, Focuaneten, Vennoneter, Belaunen = new fraction group (Vindeliker),

Goten, Lemovier, Gepiden, Turkolingen, Lakringen, Skiren, Bastarner (pagi Peukiner...), Rugier, Aestier...= new fraction group (Goten)

Taurisker..... (Noriker)

Skordisker....(Illyrer)

Odrysen.....(Thraker)

and many more....

Are there actually borders for the enlargement of a new map ?? :help:

Hermenefred:book:

Hermenefred
01-13-2005, 04:36
Some trunks have then different units. So Germans trunks could differ in sign colors and painting. Historical sources for this would be the Nerthusstaemme (Avionen, Reudigner, Nuithionen etc..) at the Baltic Sea, to which applied.

Further examples would be:

Harier = the night fighters of the Wotan,
Leuker = very good speerman,
Goten = excellent cavalry
Chatten = very good foot people (long hair)
Chauken and Suionen = very good ships,
Helvetier = Phalanx (your new animations please me here already very well)

Or other characteristics:

Narhanavalen (= very good dealers)
Buren (good field farmers)
Quaden (good fortress designers)
Arverner (high reputation)
Veneter (Pirates, dealer and sailors)
Menapier (goose breeders)
Usipeter/Tenkterer (= very good easy cavalry) :charge:
etc.. :dizzy2:

Hermenefred :book:

anonymous_joe
02-19-2005, 18:24
We could give Latin names to those places where the name is too difficult to find, and appropriate, ethnic names to places where we know what they are. One example already in the game is Tara. Tara was an early Gaelic word, the Romans used it though as they had a word, I think, that was identical, but had a different meaning (though I may just be thinking of the Romano-British, who shared some words with the Gaels, but Goedelic and Brythonic languages are otherwise vastly different).

Did the actual Romans call Tara Tara?

They may have done but we didn't. I think. If you've read the Táin, it's Temair, but they leave letters out of Irish in books for an English-speaking audience. Anyway, modern Gaeilge has changed a lot so Tara is probably the most recognisable.

Wishazu
02-20-2005, 05:18
i vote latin for simple ease and convienience

khelvan
02-20-2005, 05:45
Sorry, this is a leftover I forgot existed. We decided this long ago.