PDA

View Full Version : Dekken

Choco
04-11-2001, 06:34
I was wondering if somebody here has played the game "Dekken" for PlayStation2

I saw some reviews and it looks like Shogun but with a lot more of fantasy and a lot less of historic accuracy.

Is the game worth of a try? Or is it just eye-candy?

Ii Naomasa
04-11-2001, 08:17
Do you mean KESSEN?

If so, then you can read my long winded review of it here (http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000250.html).

Short and sweet: It's a very pretty and epic interactive movie regarding the battle of Sekigahara and events following it. In some ways, it actually paints a MORE historically accurate picture of the period than Shogun, even with the exaggerated armor and helmets (although it's fascinating that they made them a bit more grand, but really didn't stray a whole lot from how many of the participants (such as Ii Naomasa, of course http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif ) looked). Don't expect much game out of it, though, as the strategy is limited.

ShaiHulud
04-11-2001, 08:56
Naomasa... I just noticed that you take your name from that famous poet....er, nope, that was E.E. Cummings..... my mistake

------------------
Wind fells blossoms, rain
fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks

Choco
04-12-2001, 07:33
hehe ..yeah it is Kessen http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif

Thanks for the info http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Minagawa Daimon
04-17-2001, 12:32
just finished the game Kessen, lots of cool between the scene clips plus heavy drama where friends have to fight each other because of honor, just wished the game itself could have been better.

Ii Naomasa
04-17-2001, 18:57
Just unlocked all the battles in Kessen as well, although I still can go back and play the couple I haven't played from the opposing side.

Minagawa-san, do you happen to know a place that lists all the cutscenes and what circumstances lead to them? For example, I had played the Summer Battle at Osaka in the 'Pick your Battle' mode and was fortunate enough to have Sanada Yukimura both lead the attack on Tokugawa (which lead to the infamous 'female cavalry ninja rips off armor and fires shot right next to Ieyasu's head' scene) and he was also the one to finish Ieyasu off, which lead to a cool scene of Yukimura charging Ieyasu's command center and 'killing' him. Realizing I didn't have the 'what if?' 1616 Battle of Sekigahara, I replayed the West campaign to get to it, and Chosokabe accidently finished off Ieyasu at Osaka, skipping that scene and left me wondering what other scenes I missed because certain people weren't paired together or converted over...

Minagawa Daimon
04-18-2001, 11:23
i must say the best cut scenes for me was the last scene where hideyori says good bye to his wife before comitting seppuku at the fall of osaka castle and the other cut scene is the winter battle of edo where naotaka yi vows vengeance on ishida for killing his father, the scene where naomasa yi was the last one standing in his unit and was run thru was just so tragic, but if i was to vote for most tragic scene its gotta be the hideyori farewell...ii id also like to know if theres a code in kessen so that we could see all the cutscenes we might have missed, if i ever do hear about it i'll let you know, you do the same, its funny cuz im playing kessen not for the game but for its cut scenes, at least the game has some redeeming factors.

Ii Naomasa
04-18-2001, 20:03
As one might expect, the death of Naomasa and the scenes of his son seeking revenge were poignant to me, being a fan of the ol' Red Devil.

Does Hideyori's death scene occur if you choose to lose the Osaka battle on the Western side? I'm trying to recall it, but can't. I also can't believe I didn't throw that battle, as its so easy to lose battles (although its funny to order a general retreat five seconds into a battle...too bad there's no 'instant win' option for battles you've already won).

I'll keep an eye out as well for a code for the videos...they are well done and have an epic feel to them.

I totally agree that the videos/story are the best reason to 'play' Kessen. As I've expressed in any online review/opinion of the game, it's really much more of a really good, semi-interactive movie than strategy game. Had Kou Shibusawa just done a DVD that was his little take on Sekigahara and its follow-up all in CGI, I would have bought it...and that's basically what I did buy, along with the little pleasure of actually having some minor control over a few of my favorite 16th century samurai.

Minagawa Daimon
04-19-2001, 12:23
the closest thing to a death scene that hideyori has in the osaka campaign is the farewell clip of him before he committs seppuku, i dont even know if theres any way to have him lead an army to the field in the osaka campaing, once playing full defense in the hopes that the toyotomi mon would come and save the day, i might also add that sanada did his ancestors very proud that day by leading a handful of loyal troops against a juggernaut and almost winning, the battle came to the point where it was so close and the tokugawa is has a slight advantage and all army is DEAD TIRED! had toyotomi decide to ignore the council of his mother and lead his mean to fight for his honor instead of letting good and loyal men die for his cause would have won the day, i was kinda pissed of him for that lack of support, played the campaign all over again and went full offense and won the game easily cuz i just decided that waiting for the toyotomi army wasnt just worth the wait. naomasa i think that there is no code for the cut scenes for kessen, the only way to see the clips to save the games, having only 5 slots to save it make it harder, just wish that i was wrong cuz i wanna see the clips without having to play the game all over again. kantorai-shido! Kenchikuka!

Ii Naomasa
04-19-2001, 19:28
Well, the ability to play any battle once you've played through it once does help counteract the five save slots (which is horrendous, considering that the PS2 memory card is a 8MB card...but still nowhere near as bad Dynasty Warriors 2's ONE slot...that's ridiculous).

Sadly, outside of half-done FAQs that were abandoned months ago, there's very little in the terms of user created support for the game (probably because as a strategy game its lacking), so finding a list of available cutscenes will be difficult. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/frown.gif I suppose I'll just have to play the battles again and try to figure out if there's any special plot hints I might have missed and work on putting people in the right spots.

Minagawa Daimon
04-20-2001, 10:50
i tried pitting naotaka yi against ishida in the hopes that there would be a cut scene, all i get is a lame msg that yii wants revenge for his father, no vut scenes, so i guess i saw everything already, lemme know if you come up with anything new, thanks