PDA

View Full Version : Liberty: Total War

crazyviking03
10-29-2004, 03:23
Hello all,

I am starting a modification based on the American Revolution. Right now I am doing some heavy researching, and I am still learning alot as I go, so if anyone sees something that is wrong, let me know.

Possibilities:

-a campaign beginning in 1770. Colonies would only possess militia grade units, and it would basicly be a holding action until a Forming of Continental Army event cound be triggered, possibly by 'building' a Continental Congress, or something (still working on that one). The English would only possess standard line infantry, as no elite units had been sent over yet.

-or, as the 2nd campaign, or the only campaign, it will start with the appointment of George Washington as commander. This way the player can jump into the war, with out having to tech up while fending off one of the worlds strongest armies with just militia.

-The English will only be able to train loyalist units in the regular fashion, all other units (regular infantry, cavalry, artillary, etc) will only be trainable in a city with a port. They will have a very high cost and maintance, aswell as a rather long build time, to simulate the cost and time involved in transporting reinforcments to the Colonies. The english player will start in both campaigns with some sizable stacks of infantry. This will promote good generalship and conservation of your regular units.

I am still working on a unit list, I should have some up tomorrow. I wont forget Hessians, or the French Expiditionary force in the south! What I am asking from the community is 1.) anyone who wants to help, let me know! and 2.) i want to know how those across the pond feel about the revolution. I am an American, but I dont want to make a foolish Holywood mod with the righteous Partriots fighting off the evil Redcoats. I want somethign that accuratly represents the war, not a biased crusade. I will need to know this kind of stuff when I make unit discriptions, faction discriptions and campaign discriptions.

I also plan on having historical battles. Possibly some from french and Indian war, like the ambush of Braddocks column, just because that always seemed interesting to me.

much more to come, thanks

:barrel:

Lord Shand
10-29-2004, 03:42
Sounds really cool - look forward to it! :charge:

Marshal Murat
10-29-2004, 11:58
Don't fall for the idea that Spain controlled Florida, they didn't, England did.

Also couldn't England train militia in Canada?

A novel idea would also be for mercenaries, not have Hessians but have Indians. Creeks, Irquois, Cherokee, and ohterwise.
Also list of colonies. Maybe

Massachusetts=Boston
Rhode Island=Provence
Connecticut=Hartford
Eastern Pennsylvania=Philadelphia
Western Philadelphia=Pittsburgh
New Hampshire=Concord
Vermont/Maine=Augusta
Lower New York=New York
Upper New York=Albany
New Jersey=Trenton
Delaware=?
Maryland=Annapolis
Upper Virginia=Fredricksburg
Western Virginia=Monticello
Southern Virginia=Williamsburg?Yorktown?
Eastern Virginia=Richmond
Northwest Carolinas=Wilmington
Eastern Carolinas=Raeligh
Southern Carolinas=Charleston
Upper Georgia=Marthasville
East Georgia=Savannah
Southern Georgia=Macon
West Florida=Pensacola
East Florida=St. Augustine
Plus the numerous other areas under other control. Mod as you want, but keep the Florida two, they were there and the capitols.

crazyviking03
10-29-2004, 15:32
Yeah, I wasnt going to have Hessians as a mercenary unit, probably will just have them as available in the starting stacks. I also like spliting each colony into east and west,and upper/lower, because it will allow for more cities and more territory (would kind of be lame if there were just 13 territories to control).

About Florida, are you sure? I was always taught that Spain held on to Florida for a long time, or do you mean England did not own it, but "controlled" it.

I am still figuring out the stuff about Canada aswell, the only thing I know about Canada is that New York had one entire regiment devoted to manning the forts on the frontier. Gotta get to work on that one.

Thanks for the ideas/info!

** also, bit of trivia/info I have come across in my research: After 1776, Royal Army dress specifications called for the phasing out of knee length breeches and the use of full trousers. This was also copied by the Continental Army. So why do all the Holywood movies have them all in breeches? :dizzy2:

crazyviking03
10-29-2004, 15:43
also, I am going to start working on a campaign map and some textures soon, but it will be slow, as I will be learning how to do that as I go. I have already found some images suitable for new load screens. If anyone wants to lend a hand, let me know!

I am mostly focusing on getting all my facts straight first,

Duke Malcolm
10-29-2004, 16:48
Britain, not England

crazyviking03
10-30-2004, 11:37
I am looking at posting a fairly comprehensive unit list by sunday night. It will by no means be final, and will ofcourse be open to critisim and suggestion.

Marshal Murat
10-31-2004, 02:56
Florida was Spanish. However the British controlled the northern colony of Georgia. Worried about the Spanish peoples to the South, Britiain waited for a chance to take it. THe French and Indian war, later provided the answer.
France was fighting Britian. The Spanish we providing "emotional support". At the end of the war, Britain decided to extract Florida from Spanish hands. Taking it, they split it into two colonies of East and West. Taking over all monetary/military support of the colonies, they were kept on a ambilical cord of sorts. When war broke out, raids from St. Augustine kills Georgians. However after the war, Spainish troops under Galvez takes Pensacola, and then he claims the lands, thus they enter into Spanish hands again.

The only trouble dividing territory is you have to find a city for all of those.

crazyviking03
10-31-2004, 18:04
thanks for the info. I definetly did not know all that! As for the extra cities when spliting colonies, that will get hard. I am going to have to find names, maybe smaller settlements?

unit list should be out tonight

crazyviking03
11-01-2004, 04:28
Infantry units

British troops:

Line infantry
Light infantry
Fussiliers
Grenadiers
Highland Infantry (in 1776 campaign)
Black Watch (in 1776 campaign)
Light Dragoons (dismounted)
Hessian Field Jaegers
Hessian Fussiliers
Loyalist infantry
mercenary Indians (not totaly sure yet) (only available on the extreme frontiers)

Colonial/Continental:

militia (many various types for possible early campaign)
various colonial line infantry (Pennsylvania, New Jersey, etc.)
-(this is before the dress regulation blue uniform)
light infantry

I need to to more research for Continental infantry. I also need to get together my cavalry and artillery lists for both. I am contemplating how to encorpurate French troops. any way, I got to go, I have been drinking alot of Alize, and I am starting to go.
:dizzy2:

Nervius Gandavensis
11-09-2004, 22:12
Hello all,

I've been thinking along this line too, there's a free set of game rules about the 1812 war available at this website:

http://perfectcaptain.50megs.com/jonathan.htm[/URL]

The era is a bit later, but contains quite a bit of info and a few usefull links.

I think diplomacy between France, Britain, Spain and the US after successful revolution & the interaction with the Indian tribes could prove an interesting angle. Maybe US could start as a faction of Britain, like the Brutii, Julii and Scipii are factions of Senate. After a while Independence can be declared and so on...

Samurai Waki
11-10-2004, 01:15
The Scope of the Revolutionary war is somewhat limited, I just don't find having 3 factions would be much fun, even if it did have a bunch of territories.

legend
11-10-2004, 18:02
i hope u guys relize how corny ur mods name is?

Kaiser of Arabia
11-20-2004, 22:38
it is.

Silver Rusher
11-20-2004, 22:52
I agree. I also think the name Chivalry: Total War as with any other mod whose name is simply "(insert time period or world region): Total War". When you get something like- "Italy: Total War" you know that no effort at all has been put into the name and it is really quite disappointing.

My name Citadel Total War did require quite a lot of thinking, it took me ages to figure out what would look effective AND have enough relevance to the period to be justified.

Anywho, I really think you two mods should join back togethor now.

kaiserjaffa
11-21-2004, 13:00
Yup well for a start the author of the mod has already stated there are more than 3 factions Wazaki, (im not about to list them but if you read the thread you'll notice.)

As for the name, its true, theres no reason why mods all have to be called 'something' total war, that said, i think citadel total war is hardly inspiring either hehe.

Truth is the name is only so important anyway, its the effort put into the 'mod' after all we dont all have PR officers helping us with our names, but hopefully we have motivation to make cool units, good maps blah blah.

Crazy_Croat
11-25-2004, 03:51
I think you guys are making an issue out of nothing with regards to the names.

Anyways I don't know anything about modding but I think you should try and add additional factions, perhaps French, Spanish, and Great Britain's Indian allies. For American unit types I can think of the following off hand.

Pennslyvania Associators- an invention of Benjamin Franklin, a citizens militia created in Philidelphia during Great Britain's war with Spain. These regiments were notable in that discipline was established by punishing through fines and physical excercise. Officers were elected by the members of the unit.

I'm sure you're familiar with other unit types such as frontier rifleman and the more uniformed Continental troops. Perhaps you could use minuteman as a type of militia unit. I would also recommend region specific units, such as the Pennslyvania Associators may only be recruited in Pennsylvania, Marbleheaders in Mass...

CrusaderMan
11-25-2004, 21:38
I dont want to put you off or something but I think that any post-renaissance battles are not appropriate for the RTW engine in terms of scale and scope. (too many men, too big guns). However noone will look the other way if you make another masterpiece mod ~D

RedCoat
04-27-2005, 21:06
Might want to make sure there's a Unit limit for the English, as they only lost the war because they were so grossly outnumbered by the Franco-Spanish-American-Dutch coalition. Might want to include those factions as well!