PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Fong Sai Yuk

lei
04-09-2001, 22:20
just thought i'd post this to see who knows, even if it isn't japanese (i dunno)

but has anyone ever seen Legend of Fong Sai Yuk? it's gotta be one of the best martial arts movies i've ever seen! the sequel's not bad either. stars the great jet li with subtitles and totally crazy fight scenes, a must see for anyone who likes martial arts movies!

even better, if anyone has this as a movie for d/l or something, plz post! cheers all

------------------
Let the blood of the many out-weigh the blood of the few.
I am the blood of the few, let my sword show you the blood of the many.
TIGER LILY!!!

Ii Naomasa
04-09-2001, 23:04
The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk is indeed one of the most all around enjoyable Hong Kong martial arts movies. It has a good blend of adventure, humor, and good fighting. The fighting is pretty lighthearted and although wirework is used, it blends perfectly with the truer actions.

The movies aren't exactly historical (at one point, Sai wears sunglasses that are much more modern than anything available at the time), but are roughly based on an historical Chinese folk hero from the late 18th century. Given his legendary nature, it's quite acceptable to have these fictional tales.

For those interested, the sequel features samurai and their quick and deadly sword style is contrasted to the flowing style of Sai's companions.

Of course, Fong Sai Yuk has been the subject of more movies than Robin Hood, but The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk and its sequel (both starring Jet Li) are the most well known in the U.S. (I have only seen one other version and prefer the style of Jet Li's movie).

The original The Legend of Fong Sai Yuk has been recently re-released on DVD and VHS in the U.S., so finding a copy shouldn't be that difficult. Sadly, it's just the dubbed version, but the dub is surprisingly well done, with the voice actors putting in emotion. The DVD version is very crisp and clean...cleaner than the original subtitled theater cut I saw years ago. Well worth it for anyone who likes fanciful tales that include humor.

agios_katastrof
04-10-2001, 00:58
Personally, I'm not so crazy about the FSY series. Jet Li however, does give a superb performance in Tai-Chi Master, aka Twin Dragons, in which Michelle Yeoh gives her usual spectacular performance. And speaking of Yeoh, you can't beat CTHD...

lei
04-10-2001, 03:06
i'm glad anybody other than me has actually heard of those movies, let alone think as highly of them as i do! Fong Sai Yuk II is easily my favourite of the two (despite the sunglasses http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif ) simply because of one scene...

opening with Fong walking into a narrow street full of opposing samauri (or just troops), he then proceeds to blind-fold himself and draws a sword from his collection of about twenty. then comes the immortal line: "i will not watch my brothers die.." big completely o.t.t. sword fight ensues!

for me, it's a classic moment in film history!

------------------
Let the blood of the many out-weigh the blood of the few.
I am the blood of the few, let my sword show you the blood of the many.
TIGER LILY!!!

hecose
04-10-2001, 10:40
Another well known Jet Li movie is "Once Upon A Time in China", where he played another Chinese folk hero Wong Fei Hung (pronounced in Cantonese). This was the movie that shot him to fame. But just watch the first and second one. Third one onwards are not as good.

Brown Wolf
04-10-2001, 11:50
the only non-jackie chan chinese movie i have ever seen was that propaganda crap they showed on cable called "Lost Empire"

------------------
"Failure is not an option"

FwSeal
04-10-2001, 12:41
I have always loved Chinese cinema. Among the Chinese films I really enjoyed were 'Raise the Red Lantern', 'Yellow Earth', 'Farewell my Concubine', 'Shanghai Traid', and 'The Emperor and the Assassin' (A must-see for anyone interested in ancient Chinese history). All of them, save 'Yellow Earth', feature the beautiful Gong Li - probably my favorite actress.
Chow Yun Fat's flicks are also great - my favorite being 'The Killer'.

agios_katastrof
04-10-2001, 21:26
Ah, yes. Gong Li. FwSeal, I've also enjoyed all of the titles mentioned in your post, save for Yellow Earth, which I haven't had the opportunity to see yet. 'The Emperor and the Assassin' remains one of my favorite films to date. But again I have to say, CTHD is hard to beat.

Tenchimuyo
04-10-2001, 21:36
For those that like Jet Li movies, here is one.
"Hwang Fei Hong"

------------------
A great warrior never reveal his true skills....

hecose
04-11-2001, 08:33
Yup, "Huang Fei Hong" is the same as "Once Upon A Time In China". "Huang Fei Hong" is actually the name of the movie in Chinese, pronounced in Mandarin. Pronounced in Cantonese it would be "Wong Fei Hung".

Ii Naomasa
04-11-2001, 09:56
Oh, I totally agree that many of the movies listed by agrios, hecose, and Seal are better in aspects to Fong Sai Yuk (especially Once Upon a Time in China and Tai-Chi Master as far as 'kung-fu' movies go), but I still stand behind Fong Sai Yuk as being a good 'intro' movie for people not familiar with the genre, as it's been the most successful for us in 'recruiting' people (I'm lucky enough to live down the block from a theater that shows Chinese movies (mainly Hong Kong martial arts, but occasionally others as well) every Friday night, so we've been bringing people who's only exposure might have been Jackie Chan to see the films in their original versions (with subtitles...no poor dubbings!). It's pretty cool because its supported by the Asian Media Access group and it does draw in a lot of local people who could understand the movie without subtitles (and sometimes laugh when the subtitles are totally incorrect). A pretty cool experience. If you're ever stuck in Minneapolis on a Friday night, look up the Riverview Theater and see what often rare film is playing at midnight. Jeez, that almost sounds like a advertisement.

[This message has been edited by Ii Naomasa (edited 04-11-2001).]

Kurando
04-17-2001, 17:07
Man those dubbings are a disaster! It would be the easiest thing in the world for Golden Harvest to put the original language version on audio channel 2 of their DvD releases, but they never do + that stupid english dubbing drives me nuts!! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/icons/icon7.gif

BTW 1994's Fist of Legend a.k.a. Jing wu ying xiong (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0110200) is my favorite Jet Li movie. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00003W8NS.01.MZZZZZZZ.gif

Stazbumpa
04-21-2001, 03:27
That bit with the swords and the blind fold in LoFSY is cool, like u say lei.

Also like the bit in "Once upon a time in Chine" when the Iron Vest Kung Fu Master comes to Li's dojo and challenges him.
Li doesn't want to fight and after a scuffle Li catapults himself into the middle of the garden bit in the centre of the buildings in a classic Kung Fu pose.
The rain is pouring down all around him and the raw power the man exudes is phenomenal.

Those that have seen it will know the bit I'm babbling on about http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Above all things, to thine own-self be true.

Tenchimuyo
04-21-2001, 09:33
"Jing Wu Ying Xiong" Now that's a good movie!

------------------
A great warrior rarely reveal his true skills....

The Daimyo
04-21-2001, 12:42
I'll have to agree with you there Kurando, Fist of Legend is one of his best works yet. I also liked The Legend as well, but it was a tad hokey and over-melodramatic in a few scenes that could have been done better. Twin Dragons was another good movie that just missed the "hit" mark with me due to a few badly directed scenes and those damn inappropriate english dubbings.
If they could get some quality english dubbing in these great movies, liek they did for Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon then it would be superb.
I'll put money on it that they will, and that there's at least half a dozen "epic" movies being made at this moment over in China and in Japan.
What I wouldn't give to see a new movie about Feudal Japan right now, one in the scope of say "Spartacus", "Ben-Hur", or even "Braveheart" in a fashion or two.
Extra's are cheap if they farm it out to the military or the reenactment people. There's plenty of those around! http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif
Sigh...

------------------
The Daimyo
Miaowara "Kakizaki" Tomokato
@ http://www.planettotalwar.com