PDA

View Full Version : These 24 hour news cycles are killing me!!!

solypsist
10-29-2004, 16:15
I can't keep up - so much good shite happens when I'm asleep or "working"

LittleGrizzly
10-29-2004, 16:56
quit work, drink lots of coffee and peg your eyes open!

solypsist
10-29-2004, 16:58
there's just so much! here's an example:

Homeland Security sends agents to remove counterfeit Rubik's Cube
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=206591

This is one of the more amazing/disturbing things I've seen
in a while. Apparently someone makes knockoff Rubik's Cubes,
so DHS sent two agents to personally inform a store that they
infringe on someone's trademark, and see that they get removed
from the shelves.

Tom Ridge is frequently quoted as saying that DHS is underfunded,
that he's leaving due to low pay, etc. How is this even part of
their mission, much less prioritized over actual security activities?

Here's a quote from a DHS spokesdroid on how this relates to
national security:

"One of the things that our agency's responsible for doing is
protecting the integrity of the economy and our nation's financial
systems and obviously trademark infringement does have significant
economic implications."

LittleGrizzly
10-29-2004, 17:05
lol shouldn't they be more concerned about the 'video' ? and don't regular police handle things like this ?

solypsist
10-29-2004, 17:10
I dunno, but (here's that bit about constant story developments) the patent to the Rubik's has apparently expired (http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/front_page/109896512934940.xml), making the whole absurd scene even more ridiculous.

it would seem "credible intelligence" is lacking in even the most trivial pursuits of our current federal depts. maybe the Reps will make a statement about how there actually were no Magic Cubes on the shelf before agents arrived.

LittleGrizzly
10-29-2004, 17:27
lol does it worry you that these are the guys keeping you safe ?

TinCow
10-29-2004, 18:06
I dunno, but (here's that bit about constant story developments) the patent to the Rubik's has apparently expired (http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/front_page/109896512934940.xml), making the whole absurd scene even more ridiculous.

it would seem "credible intelligence" is lacking in even the most trivial pursuits of our current federal depts. maybe the Reps will make a statement about how there actually were no Magic Cubes on the shelf before agents arrived.

FYI, patents and trademarks are completely different things. Trademarks never expire unless they become generic or are abandoned. Neither of which has occurred with the Rubik's Cube.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-29-2004, 19:38
Yes but she isn't selling it as Rubik's cube...selling it as Magic Cubes.

TinCow
10-29-2004, 20:31
Yes but she isn't selling it as Rubik's cube...selling it as Magic Cubes.

It doesn't have to be the exact same words or design to be infringing. All we know is that the company that makes it told her it wasn't infringing. No big surprise there. I am not claiming that the 'Magic Cube' was infringing on the Rubik's trademark, I would have to actually see the thing to give an opinion on that. My point is only that the expired patent does not mean that the Magic Cube is free from all legal conflicts with the Rubik's Cube. Need more info.

solypsist
10-29-2004, 20:32
I feel safer knowing my underfunded, understaffed HDD is visiting storefronts for gray-area toy merchandisers instead of seaching imported cargo containers.

I'm sure by the time I get back from lunch things will have changed - the Russians came in and bought all of them, then they were restocked, they were moved before US agents could arrive, and then they were destroyed.

Skomatth
10-29-2004, 21:09
Tracing the sales of Rubik's cubes can actually lead to terror-related arrests.

You see, the type of mind who can solve a Rubik's cube is quite adept at making home-made bombs and coordinating international terror efforts. With the removal of Saddam, terrorists are now majorly underfunded, forcing them to buy ripoff cubes which they use them as a valuable training tool. The DHS was forced to shut this woman down due to providing training hardware to terrorists, albeit unwittingly.

This story is very troubling personally, as I've always been a Rubik's cube enthusiast. I'm no Blind Sheik (he could solve the thing in world record threatening time 11 seconds), but my average time of 1 minute 30 seconds puts me on a level with the Saddam himself.

solypsist
10-29-2004, 21:10
I stepped out for some coffee and HERE'S SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!one!!11!!

The national park service is being encouraged by Bush tax money intended specifically for the publication of the Grand Canyon being produced by the creationist flood from "Noah's Ark". (http://www.peer.org/press/524.html)

PARK SERVICE STICKS WITH BIBLICAL EXPLANATION FOR GRAND CANYON
Promised Legal Review on Creationist Book Is Shelved

Washington, DC — The Bush Administration has decided that it will stand by its approval for a book claiming the Grand Canyon was created by Noah’s flood rather than by geologic forces, according to internal documents released today by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER).

Despite telling members of Congress and the public that the legality and appropriateness of the National Park Service offering a creationist book for sale at Grand Canyon museums and bookstores was “under review at the national level by several offices,” no such review took place, according to materials obtained by PEER under the Freedom of Information Act. Instead, the real agency position was expressed by NPS spokesperson Elaine Sevy as quoted in the Baptist Press News:

“Now that the book has become quite popular, we don’t want to remove it.”

In August of 2003, Grand Canyon National Park Superintendent Joe Alston attempted to block the sale of Grand Canyon: A Different View, by Tom Vail, a book explaining how the park’s central feature developed on a biblical rather than an evolutionary time scale. NPS Headquarters, however, intervened and overruled Alston. To quiet the resulting furor, NPS Chief of Communications David Barna told reporters that there would be a high-level policy review, distributing talking points stating: “We hope to have a final decision in February [2004].” In fact, the promised review never occurred –

In late February, Barna crafted a draft letter to concerned members of Congress stating: “We hope to have a final decision on the book in March 2004.” That draft was rewritten in June and finally sent out to Congressional representatives with no completion date for the review at all;
NPS Headquarters did not respond to a January 25th memo from its own top geologists charging that sale of the book violated agency policies and undercut its scientific education programs;
The Park Service ignored a letter of protest signed by the presidents of seven scientific societies on December 16, 2003.
“Promoting creationism in our national parks is just as wrong as promoting it in our public schools,” stated PEER Executive Director Jeff Ruch, “If the Bush Administration is using public resources for pandering to Christian fundamentalists, it should at least have the decency to tell the truth about it.”

Some lobbyist groups are up in arms at the move, citing that next, purplemonkeydishwashers will be able to identify subhuman races in the smithsonian.

The creationist book is not the only religious controversy at Grand Canyon National Park. One week prior to the approved sale of Grand Canyon: A Different View, NPS Deputy Director Donald Murphy ordered that bronze plaques bearing Psalm verses be returned and reinstalled at canyon overlooks. Superintendent Alston had removed the bronze plaques on legal advice from Interior Department solicitors. Murphy also wrote a letter of apology to the plaques’ sponsors, the Evangelical Sisterhood of Mary. PEER has collected other instances of what it calls the Bush Administration’s “Faith-Based Parks” agenda.

Sasaki Kojiro
10-30-2004, 01:13
omg lol ~:joker:

Xiahou
10-30-2004, 03:05

You realize the Dept. of Homeland Security is comprised of many different agencies, including the Secret Service, Customs, and ICE (Investigations and Criminal Enforcement), to name a few that could have jurisdiction in a case like that.

Devastatin Dave
02-17-2006, 15:07
Just finished doing a little thread digging, you know, like a dinosaur hunt.:laugh4:
Anyway, I thought that this was a good one to dig up. Does the 24 hour news cycle harm accuracy of news? I think it does. I also believe it has turned "news" into entertainment where the reporters are more concerned about making their mark than they are about unbiased accuracy. What's your opinion?

Lemur
02-17-2006, 15:14
Agreed, and well put.

Divinus Arma
02-17-2006, 16:03
Hmmm. Just felt like announcing this? This thread doen't really have a focus. I'm sure it would be closed if some of us outcasts were to have posted it.

But that's cool. You are a mod afer all and I am but a lowly guest. How about splitting the DHS article into its own thread, putting the Grand Canyon into its own thread, placing future funny articles into their own thread, and locking this one?

Re: The DHS- Xiahou already clarified this. It takes but a moment to send out a couple of agents on a task like this. The DHS has a broader area of responsibility and this is but one small item in an otherwise large and complex commercial enforcement strategy. As a law enforcement investigator myself, I carry both very minor cases as well as very serious cases involving death. This is but another jab at the administration.

RE: The Grand Canyon- I agree. It's absurd to teach creationism as a fact. The government has no right to engage in this.

solypsist
02-17-2006, 16:12
yeah it's fun to delve into the "archives" and see how some of the older threads hold up. i was surprised to see this one on the front page again.

Just finished doing a little thread digging, you know, like a dinosaur hunt.:laugh4:
Anyway, I thought that this was a good one to dig up. Does the 24 hour news cycle harm accuracy of news? I think it does. I also believe it has turned "news" into entertainment where the reporters are more concerned about making their mark than they are about unbiased accuracy. What's your opinion?

Goofball
02-17-2006, 17:24
Hmmm. Just felt like announcing this? This thread doen't really have a focus. I'm sure it would be closed if some of us outcasts were to have posted it.

But that's cool. You are a mod afer all and I am but a lowly guest. How about splitting the DHS article into its own thread, putting the Grand Canyon into its own thread, placing future funny articles into their own thread, and locking this one?

*ahem*

Psst...

DA, calm your conservative indignation down for a minute and look at when Soly first posted this thread.

:oops:

drone
02-17-2006, 17:30
Here's one of the DHS at least looking in to doing something about a threat:
http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/story/0,10801,108793,00.html

The fact that they haven't arrested some Sony execs and confiscated computer equipment like they do with other hackers does not fill me with confidence in their capabilities though...

BDC
02-17-2006, 18:21
The next generation of sleeping pills should enable you to stay awake for days with no ill effects, or at least get along fine with 4 hours sleep a night. Some are already on the market.

They help you to sleep, but also keep you in a much deeper stage of sleep, unlike the current generation of pills which keep in you in shallow sleep. The newer ones aren't addictive either.

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/health/mg18925391.300

But you need to pay or buy the magazine...

Divinus Arma
02-17-2006, 19:46
*ahem*

Psst...

DA, calm your conservative indignation down for a minute and look at when Soly first posted this thread.

:oops:

Yep. I'm an idiot alright.

:smacks forehead:

:oops: is right. What a dumbass... :laugh4:

Devastatin Dave
02-17-2006, 20:15
This was in the good old days when you could post thread titles that had hardly anything to do with the topic of the thread itself. I had one thread called, "My grandfather has a wonderful cock". It was about is rooster, the General Lee. I can't find that thread.
Back to the topic, 24 hour news can have some benifits but it can also lead to many many problems...

English assassin
02-17-2006, 20:27
Apropros nothing, if someone asked me, "which org member once started a thread entitled "my grandfather has a wonderful cock" I would have immediately guessed DevDave.

The fact that a rooster called General Lee also features in the story is just gravy.

Kaiser of Arabia
02-17-2006, 21:27
I can't keep up - so much good shite happens when I'm asleep or "working"
OMG teh language!

Sorry I had to point that out. I feel slightly better.

I'm really depressed right now, so if I'm a butthead for the next few hours I apologize beforehand. I'll post about it after the flood control.

Anyway, I enjoy the news. I learn alot of things like how hypocritical demonicrats are.

I'm sure your grandfather had a wonderful cock, DevDave. :juggle2:

Devastatin Dave
02-17-2006, 22:21
I'm sure your grandfather had a wonderful cock, DevDave. :juggle2:
Well General Lee died a few years back and I never got a chance to ask my Grand Mother before her passing!!!:laugh4: