PDA

View Full Version : Accurate?

Malek the Sarafan
04-21-2001, 12:21
I've been curious about something. Has anyone ever played the legend of the five rings rpg or read the books, and if so, are they for the most part historically accurate. I'm not talking about story and such, mainly about the social structure of japan and the weapons and fighting styles.

------------------
"Never! I'll hack you from crotch to gizzard and feed what's left to your brides!"

Ii Naomasa
04-21-2001, 22:22
Well, the first thing to remember about the Legend of the Five Rings is that it isn't about Japan at all (as one composing a fantasy work based on Japanese culture as opposed to the over-done European culture, I have tendency to defend this point all too vehemently, so if my wording may be a little more bold than I mean). Therefore, there is little that relates back to Japan historically. Much like D&D worlds who live in a world equally filled with Roman legion-like troops, Vikings, and rapier-wielding swordsmen, the inhabitants of Rokugan (the L5R empire) live in a period that includes elements from 9th-18th century Japan. Yari, naginata, tachi, katana, yoroi and more 'modern' armor, etc. are all thrown in without the logic of weapon evolution. The warrior class has always seemed to be the dominant class, yet yield to the emperor (who, along with only a few families is the only representative of the kuge class). Obviously, this land hasn't developed like the Japan (in fact, like D&D worlds, it's hard to tell how it developed). So on that angle, you may be disappointed.

As for culture, it has the right feel, but the fantasy element does give them some room to use artistic license. For one, there are some elements of other Asian cultures tossed in (for example, the Unicorn clan has something of a Mongol flavor to them). Most of the culture is Japanese based, though, and there's some interesting things one can learn if you read through some of the sourcebooks. You will want to try to cross reference things before you accept it as historical fact, however.

Beyond the books themselves, how 'Japanese' the game is played is dependent on those you play with. Some groups adhere strictly to the setting of the books, some change things to make it even more Japanese-like, and some just play it somewhere between a typical D&D game and American movies about ninja.

If you're just looking for a RPG guide book that provides a nice, synopsis of Japanese culture that you can use as a springboard into further examination, I'd recommend the Sengoku RPG over Legend of the Five Rings. By Gold Rush Games, this game recreates the world of 16th century Japan (albeit, the emphasis is on Toshiro Mifune style samurai epic stories). Anthony J. Bryant, one of the co-writers of the work, is a fantastic resource of Japanese history and culture (in some categories, I respect him more than Dr. Turnbull). He puts a lot of culture into the work and where they decided to part slightly with 'realistic' Japan, he tends to make a note of such. It's an excellent book overall (I picked it up with the intention of perhaps using it game purposes, but haven't ever gotten around to using the actual mechanics of the game, so I can't comment on them). It's not as easy to find as the L5R books, but most hobby stores will have it, as well as online sources.

If you have a specific question about some aspects of either, let me know.

[This message has been edited by Ii Naomasa (edited 04-21-2001).]

Zen Blade
04-21-2001, 23:29
Actually,

I don't know much about the system, but I have been very impressed by the minitures, cards, displays I have seen for it. Very nicely done (artistic sense more than a historic sense)

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG
Clan Tenki Council-Unity

Minagawa Daimon
04-22-2001, 08:23
i've read all of the current novels and i must say i like the story, i also collect the miniatures(l5r clan war) and i enjoy painting each one of them, favorite clan is scorpion http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/wink.gif