PDA

View Full Version : Total Realism 3.0

ICantSpellDawg
10-31-2004, 07:15
It is out and it is AMAZING
new map including caledonia and scandanavian provinces as well as other random provinces and new cities all over the huge map

units are new and improved

this is like an expansion - seriously good work - read the readme

Rome - Total Realism Page (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=14215)

barocca
10-31-2004, 09:21
or you could check here
Rome TW Downloads (http://www.totalwar.org/Downloads/Rtw_Uploads/RTWupload/)

vlad 1
10-31-2004, 23:42
again for egypt (macedon and greek units ????) :furious3:

where is druid units ???dogs, gladiators .

Tim
11-01-2004, 01:23
I have a question. I played version 2.2 and had a few problems with it. Mainly, in my game anyway, the AI fails to grow it's population. After 40-50 years, I, Carthage I think, every city I attacked only had a population of 500 or so. Cities in Greece ranged from large towns to small cities, but their populations were only 500 or so. Does this seem correct? I just downloaded version 3.0 last night, but haven't got a chance to play it yet.

ranpiz
11-01-2004, 02:28
if you haven't tried this mod you really should.

i'm the type of person that doesn't really like to mod games because i feel the devs know best.

but holy smokes, RTR really gives CA a run for their money. ok in my opinion its far far better than the game was released and i wonder why game developers were so easily outdone.

play this mod! and CA, if you read this, please look at this mod as a blueprint on what kind of things are needed in an official patch.

and btw, if this game had a multiplayer interface like warcraft 3 does, with ratings and match making and no cheating it would be the #1 game on the internet until Post Apocalyptic: Total War or whatever is next.

dj jones
11-01-2004, 02:42
Can someone tell me which file mods the ram's survivability? I still find the AI unable to conduct successful sieges. All their rams get trashed.

Thanks

dj jones
11-01-2004, 05:43
Ive found the rebels too strong under v3, and Gaul too weak.

In the desc txt file, I find

faction slave, balanced smith
denari 8000000

Is this supposed to be right? I assume the rebels/slaves are one and the same, right? is this just way too much cash for them? I havent seen a computer ai take a rebel city yet, 20 years in.

Also, Gaul was 1/2 gone by 250 bc, conquered by a combo but mostly by juili. In v2.2 Juili took 100 years to conquer gaul.

Will upping them to 5000 be enough?

thanks - absolutely great mod

Jagger
11-01-2004, 05:51
I think TRW 3 is extremely good.

Playing as Julii, I found the Gauls fairly weak. However, the Brits were a bear to kick out of Belguim. The Gauls may need to have their starting income bumped up for the AI.

Haven't had too much trouble with rebels...nor with the Carthaginians. No one has knocked them out yet. But I still haven't had a close battle against them. Their army is better but still not impressive.

The new regional recruiting system as very nice.

metatron
11-01-2004, 07:34
Looks impressive. Quality work.

ToranagaSama
11-01-2004, 20:40
Anyone you want a Colliseum sub-forum for discussion of Gameplay and Tactics for the Total Realism Mod?

Of course, theres the TWCenter site, but I'd like to have discussion with my fellow Org members.

Total Realims is quite different than the vanilla version, most particularly the walk/run/kill speed as well as the host of other adjustments, along with the added units, makes for a truly DIFFERENT game experience.

Consequently, I think a sub-forum s/b created so we can discuss our experiences.

I've already asked one of the Colliseum's Moderators if a TR sub-forum could be created.

---

On another note, just wondering if anyone playing the previous 2.2 mod, also used it in conjunction with Macro's "Total Combat Mod" which adjust the Shield ratings, along with a few other things pertaining to *Combat*.

Total Combat Mod (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13852)

Combining both TR 2.2 with (the first version of) Total Combat Mod (TCM?) to be the most enjoyable RTW experience so far.

TCM is made to be used with TR 2.2.

*Some of Marcoi's adjustments were incorporated within TR 3.0, but not all.

metatron
11-01-2004, 22:47
Just played it. Fantastic!

ICantSpellDawg
11-02-2004, 06:49
Anyone you want a Colliseum sub-forum for discussion of Gameplay and Tactics for the Total Realism Mod?

Of course, theres the TWCenter site, but I'd like to have discussion with my fellow Org members.

Total Realims is quite different than the vanilla version, most particularly the walk/run/kill speed as well as the host of other adjustments, along with the added units, makes for a truly DIFFERENT game experience.

Consequently, I think a sub-forum s/b created so we can discuss our experiences.

I've already asked one of the Colliseum's Moderators if a TR sub-forum could be created.

---

On another note, just wondering if anyone playing the previous 2.2 mod, also used it in conjunction with Macro's "Total Combat Mod" which adjust the Shield ratings, along with a few other things pertaining to *Combat*.

Total Combat Mod (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13852)

Combining both TR 2.2 with (the first version of) Total Combat Mod (TCM?) to be the most enjoyable RTW experience so far.

TCM is made to be used with TR 2.2.

*Some of Marcoi's adjustments were incorporated within TR 3.0, but not all.

i agree - id love a sub-forum

the creators seem dedicated, so i think only good things will continue to come out of their skills

Sinner
11-02-2004, 12:08
again for egypt (macedon and greek units ????) :furious3:

where is druid units ???dogs, gladiators .

Vlad, the Total Realism Mod's intent is to improve the realism as much as possible, thus it removes fantasy and non-historical units.

At the time of the game, Egypt was ruled by a Greek/Macedonian aristocracy having been conquered by Alexander the Great. Although there would have been an Egyptian 'flavor', the armies of Ptolemaic Egypt were very much Helenistic in nature. For some reason, presumably variety, CA chose to model the Egyptian troops on earlier pre-Ptolemaic lines, totally out of place in history compared with the rest of the game.

Druids as available in the un-modded game are very much a fantasy unit. From what we know of them they were priests and bards, and not a military religious order, so to have units of druids is again very non-historical.

Dogs did feature in some ancient armies, however historically their use was very limited on the battlefield, being of more use in scouting and guarding.

Gladiators were occasionally drafted to fight on the battlefield, however they would have been equipped and operated as standard troops. The idea of them fighting in battles with their gladiatorial armour and weapons in massed units is again fantasy: the armour in particular was often designed to provide an entertaining fight, not for efficient protection. As rebelling slaves their inclusion as per the un-modded game is reasonable, a rebel slave would use whatever armour and weapons were at hand, not what was best suited for combat outside the arena.

Stuie
11-02-2004, 15:43
Vlad, the Total Realism Mod's intent is to improve the realism as much as possible, thus it removes fantasy and non-historical units.

This is what first attracted me to this mod... getting rid of the fantasy units. Screeching women and head tossers is just WRONG.

I really like the way the zones of recruitability have been implemented. There are probably a couple tweaks needed, but good stuff so far.

I'd have to agree that the rebels not to be toned down a bit - there was a stack of 20 hoplites in Massilia not long after the start of the game. That had to really hurt the population!

Basileios
11-02-2004, 19:49
The Total Realism 3.0 is really worst downloading. Including minor changes from new loading pics up to new provinces at the campagne map the modders did a very good work!!!

I think it´s a good idea to change some of the unit names as well. In my opinion it would be better to use the original historic names instead of the translations (for example: Hypaspists for the Royal Pikemen)!

Jagger
11-03-2004, 17:36
The TWR mod is much more of a challenge.

On hard/hard and currently as Julii, I have only captured 4 provinces by 220 BC. Although I could have taken more Gaul if I really wanted. Unfortunately, the senate has kept me directed towards the Greeks. So far, during my first two campaigns against the Greeks, I have lost two major armies and two family members annihilated. In the second campaign, I actually thought I would capture Thermon. Fate intervened and my General died at the height of my second huge battle and that was that. If I had won the second battle, Thermon would have been mine.

In five or ten years or so, I am going to try to take Thermon one more time.

vlad 1
11-03-2004, 20:17
Sinner -i think it's not good when britons have 5 unit or 6 unit
dacia 4-5 unit.

this is not good ,
sarmatia have jast 1 infanitry unit axeman (lol- and why sarmatia ??? i know history i live un ukraine-
schytia -this is realizm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and hersonesos city in crimea=this is greeck sity(not rebels)
siracyse too(in sicilia)

druids units, axeman for all barbarian nation, berserkers- this is ok

and better when egypt uze egyptyan units -not macedonian

Sinner
11-03-2004, 20:41
Vlad, while it's true that some factions have a rather sparse selection of units, it's no reason to include non-historical troop types just to give them greater choice when the whole point of the mod is Realism. The better answer is to research and create new units based upon actual historical examples.

And again, it's not realistic to give the Egyptians troops from a period 100s of years prior to the beginning of the game. By the time period of RTW, the Egyptians were fielding what was in effect a Macedonian-style army.

By all means, change it if you prefer, but to then insist that it's realistic is just not correct.

Turbo
11-03-2004, 23:15
Version 3.0 is now actually 3.2 going on 3.3. One of the obvious comments you can make about the MOD is the fact that it is a work in progress. While the MOD is being well supported, it still needs a lot of polish and fixing of numerous bugs. The new units have a lot of graphical glitches and the building tech trees are broken for some factions. There are a host of CTD related issues, settlements that can't be upgraded, units that become invisible during battle, and other assorted bugs. You can get a good idea of the issues on the support forum on TWCenter.

I am not trying to pass judgement on the MOD, but merely to inform people that it is still evolving and the users are essentially beta testers. Understanding this will help avoid a lot of potential frustration with the MOD.

Paul Peru
11-04-2004, 14:35
Schmrealism.
OK, having a largely historically correct situation at the onset of the campaign is something I'm all for.
But when your barbarian faction has ahistorically conquered say all of Greece as well as Rome and Mesopotamia, never exterminating any cities - how realistic is it that you still, 100 years later, can gain no technological advances whatsoever? Historically, conquerors have often adapted technology and culture from the conquered.
When you play this game as anything other than Julii, what you're after is "altering history", and achieving something that never really happened. Is backwardness supposed to be in the genes?
:furious3:
Anyway.... looking forward to trying the mod, it sounds great.
I'm just having too much fun with my lightly modded version to try anything else right now. :charge:

snake0606
11-04-2004, 16:28
I'm having fun with the mod. It has slowed down my expansionist tendencies a lot. And I am a lot more careful of what I am doing.

So far the best time I have had in the game was last night after I installed the mod. My carefully put together Brutii army was about to take its second Greek city (the Greeks took that rebel city I was assigned by the senate and I took it back) when about 3600 Greeks decided to stop my 1600 man force. It was one of them you are going to lose if you aint careful battles. I was lucky the Greeks had only the Generals Bodyguard (and he came in with the reinforcements) or my Quick Reaction Force (my 4 family members along with two light cav units) might have had a harder time of it. I used my QRF to break up the missile units and let my infantry beat up on the hoplights.

Has it was I decimated the Greeks (they lost about 3300 of their troops and I lost about 400) and then took over the lightly defended city that contained the survivors of the battle. I made peace with the Greeks right after that cause it will take a while to build up enough troops to handle the rest of the Greeks and to help keep an eye on the Macedonians (in case they get a bug up their rear and decide to backstab me).

I wasn't sure if the mod was for me until I played that battle last night. Keep up the good work because it is appreciated.

Thrudvang
11-04-2004, 16:36
I really like the mod so far, even with the few kinks here and there.

My main problem with Rome is that the previous Total Wars were mostly historical strategy games with challenging campaigns, where you had to made good decisions and planning to win, but Rome mostly game off as an action game - not much strategy, less thinking required, less difficulty and instead of being historical, it seems to of been trying to be a game for the Gladiator movie.

This mod makes it tough and historical, makes you use strategy and planning again, so I like it alot. It's not totally finished up, but they keep constant work on it so it's very promising to think of what the later versions will be, but the latest is still very good.

So basically, the mod restores it back to being Total War.

Nigel
11-05-2004, 16:59
Sounds very promising.
Has anyone tried this MOD for mulitiplayer ?

Is it designed for MP at all, or just for SP ?

Hakonarson
11-12-2004, 03:06
Schmrealism.
But when your barbarian faction has ahistorically conquered say all of Greece as well as Rome and Mesopotamia, never exterminating any cities - how realistic is it that you still, 100 years later, can gain no technological advances whatsoever? Historically, conquerors have often adapted technology and culture from the conquered.

You get better weapions and armour if they are more advanced than you - and you don't if they are not.

"Technological advances" in this era weer not quite like upgrading from a 105mm gun on yuor MBT's to a 120mm - you might get metal arour for a few more % of yuor richest warriors, a sword design that is a little handier, better metal reinforcements on your shields.

In practice wholesale "technological advancement" didn't happen quickly or very often - there was little to distinguish a German warrior in 100BC from 1 in 300 AD.

More often societies reacted to defeats rather than conquests - why would yuo want to change if you've beaten them? You're obviously already superior!!

Whereas if they beat you then you're doing something wrong!

Turbo
11-12-2004, 15:20
My chief concern with the MOD continues to be gameplay. I find the latest version of the MOD much easier that the vanilla version. Mid to late game, the AI seems to build hordes of peasants and town watch units. You end up fighting too many easy battles and it is easy to steamroll over the AI.

I still get the occassional CTD -- I am convinced that this is due to a problem somewhere with the newly added units.

dclare4
11-13-2004, 11:59
Does it include Melita (Malta)? :)

Been wanting to conquer something south of Scipian Sicily as a pirate base!

cheers,
Clare

ab_urbe_condita
11-16-2004, 02:04
I have only tried two games, one as the Germans and one as the Greeks, but both times I have been having trouble with the navies. My boats get stuck on a shoreline and cannot be either moved or disbanded. Any one else have this problem and/or is there I cheat by which I can disband them so I'm not paying maintenance on them?

Thanks.

Otherwise an interresting mod.

Sinner
11-16-2004, 16:17
I have only tried two games, one as the Germans and one as the Greeks, but both times I have been having trouble with the navies. My boats get stuck on a shoreline and cannot be either moved or disbanded. Any one else have this problem and/or is there I cheat by which I can disband them so I'm not paying maintenance on them?

This isn't a bug due to the RTR mod, occuring in the umodded game as well. Luckily there are a couple of ways to save your ships as shown in this thread (https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=39422).

tommh
11-18-2004, 09:55
Just wanted to pitch my Generals mod to 3.2 (slated for inclusion in 4.0) Its a set of more historical generals for the factions including praetorian infantry for the Romans. no more stupid chariots for the Egytians etc.

THere's also a early version of the new recruitment system. It's largely replacing the old ZORs with military building sets. Factions in dissimilar sets must build their own military structures (simulating investment in military infrastructure). Of course if you focus on conquering similar powers you can save a lot of time.

For more details see the Total war Center Realism Mod section.
All new Ptolemaic mod on the way.