PDA

View Full Version : Mod switcher thingy?

Paul Peru
10-31-2004, 10:56
OK, so there are several mods out there, and more are bound to show up.
It feels a bit silly installing the full game n times in order to be able to play the n different mods.

I was thinking that a small program to switch mods and launch the game would be a great boon of convenience, and possibly the greatest disk space and labour saving device since clear glass.

Is there such a program, or do I have to make it myself ~;)

There are challenges. The mods replace different folders and files. The "simple" solution would be to back up all files that could be replaced once for each mod. For each new mod to be installed, one reverts to vanilla, installs, backs up the new mod, and it's added to the menu of the "Mod Switcher Thingy".

Now. Is there such a program, or do I have to make it myself?
:questiong:

Sleaker
10-31-2004, 13:57
Vercingetorix is already making one. He released a beta version a little while ago. I think he uploaded it at twcenter, and possibly over at scc

Vercingetorix
11-01-2004, 01:30
I think you might be interested in a Mod Switcher (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=13848) I made. Seems I'm the only one using it though LOL. Even so I guess it's worth it just for me because I was able to install RTR 3.0 check out all the new stuff. Then uninstall restoring my game exactly as it was before in under a minute.

Paul Peru
11-01-2004, 10:16
Thanks, Vercingetorix!
I'll check it out.
Why don't all modders use it?
It looks brilliant(before I've tried it), and it's a well established fact that you rock ~;)

Paul Peru
11-01-2004, 16:12
All righty, then!
It would be sweet if the modders used Vercingetorix' tool, but as long as they don't...

would this work?

unzip mod(s) to
rtwdir\mods\modname1
rtwdir\mods\modname2
each w/full dir structure

start proggy.
proggy parses mods folder, presents you with list of modnames
You select desired mod from list and click "play with this mod already" button in proggy UI.
proggy checks to see if this is "currentmod", for which it has cunningly stored a value (Hey, it's even pre-selected in the list, ya know!)
If not, it runs first revertToVanilla, then InstallMod.

InstallMod procedure:
parse rtwdir\mods\modname\ w/subfolders.
for each file, check if same file exists relative to rtwdir\
if so back file in rtwdir up to same relative location in rtwdir\mods\vanilla\
if not add filename to mods\modname.uninstall.list
copy file in modname to rtwdir.

revertToVanilla procedure:
find currentmodname.uninstall.list and delete everything mentioned there
Just copy the whole dang vanilla dir into rtwdir
~:confused:

Brighdaasa
11-01-2004, 16:46
paul peru,

i think this is exactly how CA is incorporating their modswitcher in patch 1.2 as announced

Paul Peru
11-03-2004, 10:55
Jolly good!
More time to play, then ;-)
(unless I make one for MTW instead...)