PDA

View Full Version : Okay, what about this Cheat thing?

Siris
11-01-2004, 15:48
I've sceen in a few topics in a few forums for RTW, that some people are complaining to others about cheats, in game.... Multiplayer that is.

What are you talking about?! I hosted many times this weekend, saw nothing "cheat" related, so are some people hacking or something? Information please!!! As to how to notice, detect, & stop it, if its occuring.

CBR
11-01-2004, 16:01
Yes its possible to cheat. It can be done in several ways but the most difficult way of seeing it is by changing the unit costs. That way the cheater can either buy better units of just get more upgrades.

At least when you play at lower denarii levels of 10k and below you wont see many upgrades on units and each upgrade can be seen as a small flag on a unit. So it will be easier to spot.

There is not that much we can do about right now except to play with people you trust. CA is aware of the problems so it will be fixed for the 1.2 patch.

CBR

Siris
11-01-2004, 16:13
Ah okay, that's cool. Because I've only fought very weak guys so far, it seemed at least. My first fight I wont 90% to 10% loss, whipped his butt, and he is a clan guy lol! Won three fights with my Uncle, & won another 2v2, then won one more multiplayer one. So no sight of cheaters yet, but just making sure on the matter.

Why do guys cheat! It makes it no fun! Its fun to win or lose with what your supposed to have than to win with unbeatable odds.

Puzz3D
11-01-2004, 17:30
CA is aware of the problems so it will be fixed for the 1.2 patch.

And if it isn't, it might get fixed in the add-on, and, if not then, it might get fixed in the patch to the add-on, and, if not then, it might get fixed in the next game in the series, and, if not then.....

baz
11-01-2004, 19:00
Yuuki, dont get carried away .. it will get fixed in the patch for the add-on .. but it will be back in the next game in the series ;)

Aelwyn
11-01-2004, 21:13
lol....

Lonewarrior
11-01-2004, 23:33
I seem to recall than in MTW, whenever I hosted, if someone was cheating I would get a message. Then I would kick the person. I see no purpose in cheating, its just dumb.

But, there is a difference in cheating and someone being really good. I should now, i was called a cheater just because I woppeed 3 guys in the same battle. LOL that was my greatest mp victory, after that I went 15 straight games without losing.

So my point, not always is someone cheating it maybe because his/her is good at the game.

Orda Khan
11-01-2004, 23:55
Which is why I say there should be zero upgrades...MTW proved that.

But I would suggest there are other things that ruin the MP experience also, Stat crunching for instance.

How the MP game deteriorated with the advent of the stat compare tools....

.....Orda

Puzz3D
11-02-2004, 01:06
Given the imbalance of the units in MTW the army selection became more important, and with the large number of units and upgrades the learning curve is long if you try to do it only through experience. The stat compare tools put people on a level playing field in terms of army purchase. If the units had been better balanced, players could have purchased their units with confidence based on type within the rock, paper, scissors system. I don't see stat tools as the reason the gameplay declined. Even original STW had several web sites with stat tables vs cost. In fact, the gameplay of MTW is very good if you use some of the mods that have balanced units. I played quite a few of those MTW mods, and you didn't need any stat compare tools to figure out what units to purchase.

More units. More upgrades. Bigger maps. None of those things make the game better if they are not implimented well.

Siris
11-02-2004, 14:56
So how do we detect if someone is useing cheats while were hosting, or if we join a game? And how do we disable that, or kick them out of the room?

I've only fought six multiplayer battles, all won so far, heh, some were very hard, others quite simple, but want to ensure when I do lose soon that I dont lose to a cheat!

CBR
11-02-2004, 15:09
You can see if its cheating if a faction is using a unit its not supposed to have or if units have more men than normal or if a player has too many good units/upgrades. Some more easier to notice than others.

A unit has a small flag for each upgrade but as you cant see what type of upgrade it is (weapon and armour upgrades cheaper than experience) its not gonna be easy to tell if a player really is cheating. Except if playing at lower denarii levels where most people wouldnt buy upgrades anyway.

The host can kick players but only before a battle starts and no one can see if someone is cheating until a battle starts.

I dont know widespread cheating really is (and not always easy to tell) so you have to be careful accusing players of being cheaters just because you lose a battle.

CA turned MP into a mess when they allowed cheating for RTW and all we really can do is to play with people we trust or not play at all and just wait for CA to clear out this mess.

CBR

Puzz3D
11-02-2004, 18:27
Even if there is no cheating, 50% of the games go out of sync. Feel free to waste your time playing MP.

Paolai
11-02-2004, 18:39
the "out of sync" during the last few days is worse than ever maybe :(

Voigtkampf
11-02-2004, 21:40
Aaaah, Wolf_Paolai! :bow: Sync got perhaps worse, but not as much that I could persuade myself that the mop-up operation you performed on me few days ago hasn’t happened as it did, and that I’ve actually won! ~;)