PDA

View Full Version : Painting: Eleanor and Fulk practising

Duke John
11-02-2004, 16:16
I promised frogbeastegg some time ago a painting for one of her stories. I had a try with one scene, but I couldn't get it all together so I got working with a scene that frogbeastegg hadn't written at that time:

A sword training session between Fulk and Eleanor. She's a novice in her first lesson, he's a battle-hardened soldier, so as you might imagine he is barely even trying to keep up with her. She gets bored of losing and decides to fight agent style; she throws a cup of wine in his face and still manages to lose.
And this is what I made:

http://chronicles.metw.net/paint/cover_eleanor_stick_fight.jpg

For the one who are interested: High resolution (1200x1600, 1MB) (http://chronicles.metw.net/paint/eleanor_stick_fight.jpg)... might not be pretty up close :grin:

It's my first big CG paiting that I made entirely myself so I'm quite interested what you think of it. While I don't know wether I will edit the picture after C&C, it sure will help me with future paitings.

Cheers,
Duke John

frogbeastegg
11-02-2004, 16:45
Neat, neat, neat, neat! :gring:

You got Fulk's hair exactly right, both colour and style. You got his mildly cocky pose too. Somehow, don't ask me how, the armour suits him; well, that matches up very smoothly with events about 70 pages further on. I was never entirely sure red would suit Eleanor but it does go quite well with the hair. I should get her to wear it more often. I see you handled the troublesome sleeves very adroitly.

You got the essence of them quite well, they might not quite match the way I imagined them but I doubt anyone ever really manages to capture exactly what another person imagines, especially when said person is crap at describing faces. Essence is more than enough; I'd recognise them if the picture wasn't labelled. The only even slightly negative thing I can say is that Nell's hair should be longer and someone has stolen her girdle but somehow that really does not matter - it's undoubtedly Eleanor.

I've posted a link to this on the paradox forums so my other, now quite large group of readers can come and admire your work. I'll pass any comments on.

You know I have really got to give Fulk change to wear that new armour of his and kick some behind; the sight of him stood there looking ... Fulkish in his mail only makes me more determined. I'm thinking some kind of tournament ....

I shall stop gushing now and start thinking about printing this out.

Duke John
11-02-2004, 17:05
If that is the only negative critism, thanks! :grin: I simply forgot the girdle, if I find a reference somewhere I will add it. I thought the hair was already pretty long, but I can change it as well.

And I must say that it was very enjoyable to paint this (except for the chainmail), especially with the characters of Fulk and Eleanor. Trying to capture the tension between them; the easy posture of Fulk knowing that his little princess cannot beat him and Eleanor thinking of a trick to gain an advantage. A painting becomes so much more with a story behind it, and I think that I have captured that quite well. Not too be boasting, I'm just proud (ah damn, that is a vice in M:TW...) The composition was a kind of lucky shot, but turned out well with first seeing the two standing across each other and the eye being drawn to the hand of Eleanor reaching for the wine-cup.

I'm thinking some kind of tournament Sounds fun! Can't wait :charge:

frogbeastegg
11-02-2004, 17:50
I had a nice reply, then I accidentally deleted it when I moved to spell check it in Word. :blankg:

You should be proud; this has turned out very well. I get the same from time to time with my writing.

Nell's hair is long by our standards but short by medieval ones, perhaps scandalously so. It should reach down to her waist. By some strange coincidence Nell's hair in this picture is identical to mine; length, style, the way it is slowly escaping from behind her ear (BTW: that was a great touch). The only difference is mine is what is called a medium blonde.

Ah, the tournament. I can give you a PMed sneak peak if you like.

His little princess ... hmmm, I like that. Got to use it ...

Duke John
11-02-2004, 18:14
You wrote all those stories, and you still need to spellcheck a small reply? Thanks for making me feel rude for never doing that :wink:

So "Nell" really does need those hairpins? And sure, send me a PM with the details about the tournament. I do expect that Fulk is participating; *starts thinking about a full speed clash of clashing knights* yeah, nice!

DemonArchangel
11-02-2004, 18:47
I would have thunk fulk wouldn't be that old
and for god sakes, Eleanor looks like my MOM.

Ludens
11-04-2004, 15:27
Yes, Eleanor's face is definitely too old. Something with her expression, perhaps. But I like Fulk. His face is suitably weathered, though also a touch on the old side.

frogbeastegg
11-04-2004, 16:34
:shrugs: Well I don't really look at the faces because I know no one will ever manage to get the duo as I see them. I go for big details like hair and then to little things like pose, mannerisms and the like. On that basis the duo pass muster, even if the faces do not match up.