PDA

View Full Version : Changing victory conditions

Shamus
11-02-2004, 20:28
Does anyone know of a way to alter the victory requirements in the "Imperial Campaign" section, so that I can win with 30 provinces instead of 50?

Shamus
11-03-2004, 18:40
Can no one help me on this?

Jambo
11-03-2004, 20:07
afraid not, but I think judging by the lack of replies it's something that CA probably have to help us with....

I'd also like to know the answer to this.

Alexandr III. Biges
12-02-2004, 03:08
Shamus, you are right, I'd also prefer 30 provincies instead of 50, playing as Macedonians I hold Rome and I'm pretty lazy to get damn 20 provincies which I need for the vitory, no challenge...

Bacchon
12-02-2004, 10:51
After digging through the txt files in Data/menu, I am absolutely convinced that was at one time the ability to choose at the Faction Select menu in the game what victory conditions you wanted, all Sid Meier style. In Rome.int I've found mention of the actual buttons/menus/whatever, and I'm trying to determine if I can turn them back on. I remember someone saying that they had enabled the built in Editor to show up on the menu, though the game would CTD when selected. Perhaps the same can be done here, though I'm not sure how to proceed.

As for allowing the modder to define victory conditions, I'm pretty sure that the win_conditions section in descr_strat.txt is completely ignored. I've typed gibberish in there without the game so much as noticing. descr_triumphs.txt has conditions and numbers that appear to correspond to the win_conditions section, but I think it's just detritus left behind after the decision to make an unalterable victory setting was made. I just wish I could figure out how the Sons of Mars campaign is given differant conditions, provided it's not hardcoded.

eadingas
12-02-2004, 13:39
What about the province triumph value? Perhaps the game is won once you capture, say, a 250-points-worth of provinces?

Bacchon
12-02-2004, 19:45
What about the province triumph value? Perhaps the game is won once you capture, say, a 250-points-worth of provinces?

I tested that by increasing the triumph point value for everything to 10, as I noticed that every province had a triumph point value of 5, and a couple of 0. I'm going to try a few more tests to see if that is the key.

What also occured to me is that there might actually be a way to alter the victory conditions, but the messages in the GUI are hardcoded to say what they say, so our changes go unnoticed unless activated. And I have yet to play out a full game just to test my victory condition changes.

-edit- No, the triumph values don't appear to affect anything that I can see thus far. I'm pretty sure it's hardcoded to be on the "Imperator" victory condition. Except for the Senate, which is on "Survivor". As to how to change those, I'm stuck. I believe the triumph values are related (obviously) to descr_triumphs.txt, in conjunction with the win_conditions in descr_strat.txt. I suspect that several differant methods of defining victory conditions were tested and removed before the current one was settled on, and what we're looking at is the remains of those attempts that were never removed to save time. Or because CA secretly hates us all and wanted to torment us with these precious, precious fragments of possibility. ; )

--edit-- The triumph values in descr_sm_factions.txt don't appear to affect victory conditions, either.... At least we're seeing what doesn't work.

Tyburn JIG
12-09-2004, 13:50
I would really like to find a solution for this.

Please CA any hints for us?