PDA

View Full Version : What about my own TW server?

Voigtkampf
11-03-2004, 09:03
Ok, I am completely illiterate about this, so bear with me. I have several questions regarding hosting games for TW serial, not only Rome, but Shogun and Medieval as well and I would highly appreciate some input.

My CoD clan has two servers, one public and one for Clan wars; could I make my own TW server?

1. Can I make my own server for any TW game?
2. Is it legal to do so?
3. Can I connect directly to another specific computer and play Rome, Shogun and Medieval without having to join the GameSpy lobby?
4. If I can do all these things, how do I do them?

Akward; I cannot connect to some people with whom I would like to play because of the dreaded “failed to connect” error. I would like to see that possible via direct connection.

Thank you all in advance. :bow:

Voigtkampf

barocca
11-03-2004, 10:19
as far as i am aware Shogun fakeserver is the only one tolerated,

Medieval is Not permitted,

Rome is Strictly Prohibited
(it's in one of the legal/disclaimer files or in the legal section at the back of the manual - i remember reading it)

R'as al Ghul
11-03-2004, 13:34
Speculating:
It may not be legal but technically it should be possible like in Shogun.
What happens when you connect to the STW-Lobby:
Your computer connects to an IP-Adress and using your keycode-data as authorisation logs into a specific port into the server. The connection will be held until you log out. If you want to connect to the Shogun fakeserver, you have to change the IP-Adress and the port number in one of the .txt-files. You're now calling a different private server. I'm not sure how this server has to be set up.
Let's assume for a moment that such a .txt-file exists in MTW (quite sure it's there) or RTW, then it would be possible to change that content, i.e. the IP-Adress the game connects to.
If you can make it work and use it to play against a buddy and both of you have a legal copy I cannot see how that should be prohibited? Not wanted maybe, but illegal? ~:confused:
Anyway no one would know what you're doing. There's no possibility to find out to whom you connect with what software.
With that said I'm of course not saying that you should try it. At the end you agreed not to by accepting the license agreement, didn't you? ~;)
Good Luck.

R'as

sweetzero
11-03-2004, 23:06
Is it possible to setup a network over the net and then treat it as a LAN battle?

Voigtkampf
11-05-2004, 21:50
Thank you, barocca-sama and R'as al Ghul-san. :bow:

Ra’s, I am a lawyer by education, many other things by requirements and necessities of life, so I understand the hints well. ~;)

Barocca-sama, you have actually read the license agreement? ~:eek: Am amazed… Though I know that ignoratio iuris non excusat (a piece for our fans with newly discovered interest in Latin proverbs! ~;) ), I still never read that stuff. My eyes hurt when I must read all that small print! ~D

I was mostly interested in the technical, not the legal part, gentlemen. Thank you for your contribution.

Dionysus9
11-05-2004, 22:03
I'm also an attorney and the way I see it is this (this isn't legal advice, just my opinion):

If you create an R:TW fakeserver, then you are in violation of the licensing agreement. Big deal. What is the punishment, even if they "catch" you and waste their time coming after you?

They revoke your license to play that copy. Ouch $50.

The key here is that you have paid for a license. If you break the license agreement then you lose the license. No biggie.

The only real exposure that I could see is if you were hosting a large-scale fakeserver and charging people money to use it, or making money from on-site advertising, or otherwise impacting the profits which CA and Activision are entitled to.

You simply aren't going to be hurting CA or Activision if you are playing around with your friends-- there are no "damages" to the companys, and therefore there seems to be no liability on your part. The only punishment would be revocation of the license--in which case you can just purchase a new copy :).

I wouldn't worry about the legalities unless you are planning to try and make money off it, or you are planning on doing something on a scale that could significantly impact the number of MP players using/not-using gamespy's service. Then again, thats me and I don't mind taking small calculated risks.

Again, this is not legal advice as I am not authorized to practice law outside the state of Oregon-- but think about it. What I say makes imminent sense.

Good luck.

Sasaki Kojiro
11-06-2004, 00:09
I thought you couldn't do it because the internet.cfg file is no longer modifiable in MTW and RTW?

Voigtkampf
11-06-2004, 07:46
Thank you, Dionysus9, brother-in-arms! :bow:

Well, to put is shortly, I wasn't going for giving up my career and my work and live off from fakeservers! ~D I was mainly interested in the aspects of it; as I’ve said before, my clan has two CoD servers, so naturally I was thinking on putting up one myself when I get Rome. I never played TW online before. And I am an ASE guy, so you can figure out that I knew nothing about TW online play and how it works, or whether you need a server or not at all! :book:

But since there is no “start your own server” in MP section, I was wandering only how and if that was possible, without actually intending to do so.

soda
11-06-2004, 08:02
Why aren't you allowed to have a server? Whats the reasoning?

Vanya
12-03-2004, 23:36
GAH!

Vanya may not be a "lawyer" at heart, but He knows enough to stake your head on the fact that international waters are beyond the jurisdiction of anybody. So, set up your fakeserver in the middle of the Atlantic and have fun bobbing for noggins! Vanya adds: Make sure to wave skull and crossbones flag overhead. That way, any warship that runs across youz will find it so cheeky they will not think youz are actually doing something they might not consider kosher. And, if they move in, youz can always chuk the evidence into the sea! Just make sure youz have some brewskies handy in case you need to bribe a boorish captain or two.

~:cheers:

GAH!

Voigtkampf
12-04-2004, 09:21
GAH!

Vanya be a wise man. GAH! Me off to wide seas! ~D ~:cheers: