PDA

View Full Version : Ninja Woodwind....

Orion12
06-18-2001, 09:55
In one of the Assassination cinematics in Shogun there is a Ninja with a basket on his head playing a woodwind instrument which also doubles as a blow pipe. I have heard this instrument in almost every Samurai-esque style song and I'm just wondering if anyone knows the name of the flute like pipe? Is it a type of flute?

Also in this same cinematic if the ninja fails there is a pause and a loud thunking noise and the ninja slumps to the ground. What happens to him? I think I play with my monitor too dark and I cannot really see what takes the ninja out, I just hear the thunking noise. I'm assuming it is an arrow from a unseen sentry.

Also I always wondered what those basket headed guys were. I had seen them in pictures and they also appear in Samurai video games. I did some researching and discovered that Ronin Samurai and also Monks would wear these baskets over their heads to signify their isolation from the world.

Koga No Goshi
06-18-2001, 11:27
Yeah, the basket/hat and flute was really common for recluses and beggar monks in that period of Japanese history, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the flute. I know shamisen is what the geishas played to entertain guests with, though.

------------------
Goshi of Koga

Kraellin
06-18-2001, 12:18
perhaps there is some info or a link to some info in the japanese history section of the sword dojo?

K.

Ratta Yamamoto
06-18-2001, 16:38
Yeah the Japnese monks wear those basket hat during that period of Japan when they travel.

Anssi Hakkinen
06-18-2001, 19:31
I seem to remember the basket was associated with a specific sect of Nichiren Buddhism. You are most likely correct about its symbolic significance, Koga-san.

The bamboo flute is called shakuhachi, a derivative of the earlier hitoyogiri. It is, indeed, something of a classic in Japanese music.

------------------
"7. Chugo: devotion, loyalty."

Shiro
06-18-2001, 20:50
Hmm...seems an apt topic for those wierdos http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif in Japanese History to ponder.

See this topic Here (http://www.totalwar.org/cgi-bin/ubb/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=3&SUBMIT=Go).

Toranaga sama
06-26-2001, 21:46
weirdos who know more about Japanese history than the Japanese do... Here, if you try to hold a conversation about it, they have no idea what you are talking about...

That's my experience anyway.

The Koto is another staple instrument of traditional Japanese music.

Tachikaze
06-27-2001, 02:56
There are two basic Japanese flutes, both in many variations, with many names.

The shakuhachi is played straight through, with the mouth at one end, like a recorder. The name comes from the length, about 1.8 shaku long. Hachi means "8" and shaku is a measurement roughly equal to a foot or 30cm.

The fue is played transversely (sideways), by blowing across the mouth hole. It is generally smaller than a shakuhachi.

Obviously, it would be better to use the shakuhachi to blow darts. With a fue, you will hit the ninja standing next to you -- terribly embarrassing.

[This message has been edited by Tachikaze (edited 06-27-2001).]

Koga No Goshi
06-27-2001, 06:05
Most people take an interest in the cultures and histories of other countries rather than their own. Since you "grow up" with a background in a particular culture and history you take it for granted. I've known many Japanese who knew more about the American presidents and order of historical American battles better than I did, and I like to think I'm better than most with history.

------------------
Koga no Goshi

Why did you bring 16 Female Ashigaru? Keep clicking weather, they're only strong one week a month.

Toranaga sama
06-27-2001, 08:00
exactly

Irving
06-30-2001, 05:38
fate of the ninja:

that is the only cinematic where i watched it again and again to find out"what the hell happened".... as far as i can see.... he is shot by something... when he slumps to the ground. there is a hole in the curtain.....

------------------
Chaos is born from order.
Cowardice is born from bravery.
Weakness is born from strength.
-Sun Tzu

Koga No Goshi
06-30-2001, 08:00
You guys been playing Shogun with the sound turned off? After the ninja's dart goes through the curtain and misses, you hear the twang of a bowstring. Then he crumples over.

------------------
Koga no Goshi

Why did you bring 16 Female Ashigaru? Keep clicking weather, they're only strong one week a month.