PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Provincial Campaign

Jace11
11-04-2004, 11:46
Hi there, I'm a bit bored of the imperial campaign map, and I'm trying to create a provincial campaign using the map from the prologue. It is not easy however. My idea was to use this basic, smaller campaign map, with the same number of provinces. It is really an exercise at this stage and will not be much different from the Sons of Mars, I will probably add more units etc. If it works, this map would be great for a civil war campaign or a carthaginian invasion campaign.

But I am having problems and need some help.

Started by simply copying "Sons of Mars" folder and deleting the prologue script and its reference in the desc_strat. aswell as the other files that I thought would not be required Battle walkthroughs etc. Then, I set about the desc_strat.txt

What are the prerequisits? I can get to the faction choice screen and can pick Julii but no further. I get a CTD on starting the campaign.

I feel, the correct settings are vital here and are what is causing the crash. Regions etc should be fine. I gave the Julii Etruria as I figured they need a start city or the faction would die at launch and cause a ctd. I moved the greeks out of Tarquinii cause an enemy garrision would cause a crash too I expect and put my guys inside. I am also wondering about victory conditions.

I will check the templates for help. This game should have an editor!

If anyone can help me thanks,

Also I cant access twcentre's forums for some reason for the past week and no idea why. Some setting on my pc or whatever, but I cant even browse them let alone log in, i get an error message every time. Anyone else have this trouble?

Jace11
11-04-2004, 13:21
Ok, removed odeon and changed town plan to roman, now it will goto the load screen but then, when that is finished it ctd's again.

Anyone know how to remove win conditions or set them? when the campaign starts its 50 provs and rome, well there aint that many on the map, so its bound to cause problems, yet the prologue itself will run happily with no win conditions after the scripts are finished...??

Ideas??

Monkwarrior
11-05-2004, 11:47
Hi Jace11

I was also thinking on making a provincial campaign and after reading your post I have tried it from sons_of_mars.
I have eliminated all the prologue files and the scripts. The brutii and scipii are playable, the julii have one province.....
but the campaign doesn't work. It appears in the selector of campaigns, I can see the description of the three playable factions, with the portraits of the leaders (copied from the imperial campaign), but when I select any of the factions the game returns to the campaign selection menu and it is not possible to select the new campaign. I can return to the main menu, enter again in the campaign selection menu and the same happens ~:confused: .

I have no idea why it happens. Perhaps it is necessary some script or order in some text file?
I will follow the investigation.
Cheers.

Jace11
11-05-2004, 13:37
I managed it in the end actually, but could not play any of the roman factions, only the gaul, greeks, thrace etc. I thought this was because the Brutii were originally not on the map.

The following works, remember to copy the sons of mars settlement and regions name text file in data/text and rename it or it will have problems.

; Custom campaign script generated by Romans Campaign Map Editor

campaign rise_of_rome
playable
greek_cities
thrace
gauls
end
unlockable
end
nonplayable
romans_julii
romans_scipii
romans_senate
slave
end

start_date -329 summer
end_date -265 winter

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; >>>> start of landmarks section > start of resources section > start of sound emitters section > start of events section > start of factions section > start of diplomacy section > start of regions section

Jace11
11-05-2004, 13:39
appears i cant post the desc file, it is too long for this forum.

Dang

Jace11
11-05-2004, 15:00
I initially believed that it was something to with the 3 roman factions needing to be present at the start like on the imperial campaign map so the senate can function, or the winning conditions. I will upload the desc_strat somewhere. Can't do it on twcenter as I still can't log in..... argh.

Anyway, it is possible, and I whacked Decius with Dumnorix this time instead of how it finished in the tutorial!