PDA

View Full Version : Need Rec for a good book on the Sengoku Jidai

jskirwin@yahoo.com
06-27-2001, 20:44
I realized after watching "Heaven and Earth" that I could really use a good reference on the Sengoku Jidai - or more broadly something that covers Kamakura through Meiji.

Any recommendations?
Thanks
JSK

Koga No Goshi
06-28-2001, 06:31
Two recommendations offhand, well, three. http://www.totalwar.org/ubb/smile.gif

Shogun by James Clavell. Not 100% historically accurate but almost every character and event in the novel is 100% derived from what really happened, though the order and names have been changed.

The Samurai's Tale by Erik Christian Haugaard. More of a "story" about a young samurai who goes into one of Takeda Shingen's vassal's service. Follows his life through serving Akiyama Nobutomo, meeting Shingen, and ends with Katsuyori being defeated at Nagashino. Very good book for seeing what life was like for the individual samurai.

The Maker of Modern Japan: The Life of Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu by A.L. Sadler. This is more of an overview of the political and military events from Tokugawa's youth to his becoming Shogun. It includes detailed accounts of most of the major Sengoku Jidai battles along with battlefield maps and army positioning figures.

------------------
Koga no Goshi

Why did you bring 16 Female Ashigaru? Keep clicking weather, they're only strong one week a month.

Anssi Hakkinen
06-28-2001, 15:59
As general reference books, I'm kind of obligated to mention Stephen Turnbull's The Samurai: A Military History, Samurai Sourcebook, etc. There are a ton of book recommendations threads to be found if you search for 'em.

------------------
"Bushidô: Bu - war; Shi - nobility; Dô - the Way."

jskirwin@yahoo.com
06-28-2001, 20:30
Perhaps a FAQ for each forum is called for then. There's a FAQ about online playing - why not for the Forums?

Just a thought.

I'm currently eyeing George Sansom's books. While I'll either have to shipwreck myself on a deserted island or take a speed reading course to read them, the books look pretty definitive.

But thanks for the above recs. Much appreciated...
JSK

Shuko
07-03-2001, 18:36
Another good place to find Japanese history books etc is at Japanese Information Centres or cultural groups eg. Japanese/American social groups.

The J.I.C. in Sydney has an impressive list of books in English on almost every aspect of Japanese life/society. Even large public libraries don't have many of the books the Centre has in it.

jskirwin@yahoo.com
07-03-2001, 20:42
Thanks for the ideas.

I am currently reading "Sekigahara 1600" by Anthony Bryant. The drawings in that book are amazing.