PDA

View Full Version : help-stuck on Greek swordy hoplite

moksha
11-04-2004, 18:53
Hi, was wondering if anyone could help with a small mod I'm stuck on.

I want to use a hoplite, no specific model, with only its secondary attack-ie holding a sword/using a sword and shield all the time-not pike/not spear, and showing this on the battle screen.

I can't keep my thumb on Alt+right click all the time ~;) so tried editing
descr_units_battle to show just fs_swordsman skeleton
and descr_units to show only a primary attack of sword.
plus the other changes needed to get game to show new type of unit.

I get a unit using spears as swords-which is quite cool as they tonk them around very energetically and lots of beating over heads takes place but after the comedy wears off it obviously is not what I'm after..

There is a model already there which I need to link to get game to use all the time (the one used for secondary attack showing sword..)-anyone got any ideas how?

Cheers all.

nb Aim is to eventually get a "proper" hypaspist so could just use an existing swordy type but I don;t want to get into model editing/3dmAx etc if I don't have to.

Kaiser of Arabia
11-05-2004, 00:17
just dont use phalanx.

qmark
11-05-2004, 11:01
You're doing exactly what I've been thinking of.

I wanted to add an infantry unit to the Greek_cities faction that only used a sword, no spear. I think you're doing it the proper way though!
I was gonna just use a Seleucid unit and edit the ownership line, though I'm not sure if that'll work. They seemed the closest in terms of culture etc. After that I can find a texture I'm sure.

If you get success any chance of letting us (by that I of course mean me!) know? I'm fed watching my armoured hoplites getting slashed on a wall because I can't constantly tell them to use their swords!

Hope you get it dude!

Mr Frost
11-06-2004, 15:01
just dont use phalanx.

Sounds like it could be the problem : did you remove their Phalanx ability ?
If not , then do so and see if that works .
Also , not to imply you're a noob , but did you move the sword stats from the stat_sec entry to stat_pri and place a neutral stat_sec in ?
It is probably something simple like that you know . Hope you figure it out .

moksha
11-06-2004, 19:36
Cheers all,
Capo-can do as you suggest at a pinch so cheers but I want the unit to deploy on battle map with sword and shield.
Qmark-thanks your encouragement, if I suss it I'll let you know for sure-if you here anything drop a line here>?!
Mr Frost-I'm with you! it is something simple thast I've missed I'm sure of it.
I have removed phalanx ability, and edited primary to sword with neutral sec stats-doing this with just fs_swordsman I get unit acting like sword unit but carrying spears/pikes. So halfway there!

Will start from scatch again-I'm sure to have missed something..

Thanks again for replies guys

AmbrosiusAurelianus
11-07-2004, 14:23
I think the problem might be that the spears are part of the model itself. If you are going to make a Greek infantry unit you might have to use another model, only then it would not look particularly like a hoplite. It is a problem for people who want to make a unit that is very like one in the game, but just has a different weapon or shield or something.
At the worst you could re-texture Iberian Infantry or something, and give them to the Greeks - it wouldn't look too bad. Otherwise we just have to wait for someone who know how to change cas files to make a hoplite with only a sword.
You could ask on the forums ..... politely. ~;)

moksha
11-08-2004, 00:32
Ambrosius I think you're right, I had hoped that swapping primary and sec weapons+ fs_skeletons would do the trick but end up with models behaving ok
but showing spears..
Fair enough-time to edit cas files.
I am using repainted Iberians at the moment, as you say not too bad. Tried Bull Warriors too.
But will have a go at producing a long sword on a hoppy.

Cheers

AmbrosiusAurelianus
11-08-2004, 19:27
Let us know how you get on with changing the cas files. I lot of people have asked about just such a unit, so you'll be pretty popular if you pull if off.
~:cool:

The only other thing that I can think of (it occurred to me after I posted the last time) is putting primary weapon to none and therefore forcing the hoplites to use the secondary i.e. the sword. It's an odd idea, and might leave the hoplites vulnerable until they can draw their swords, but I suppose that it is worth a shot. If not it is cas file time for sure.

It certainly is frustrating that you can't just mix and match bits from different units. I think Greek Heavy Peltasts have just the right shield for certain Roman and Celtic units, but they're pesky javelineers .... growl!

Oh well, we'll just have to make do for a while I suppose.

moksha
11-09-2004, 14:52
I'll post back here if I can do anything useful-depends whether Vercingetorix's
script works with the free version of 3dmax or one of the other freebies..I'm not splashing $3500 to alter one file ~:cool:

moksha
11-11-2004, 15:52
Cracked it ~:)

edited armoured hoplite cas by deleting spear, adding longsword-works a treat.

Can't post attachments here though so will upload at twcentre or mail on request..

Cheers all.

moksha
11-11-2004, 16:24
Uploaded here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15300&st=0&

AmbrosiusAurelianus
11-12-2004, 19:29
Well Done! I've downloaded and will give them a try. The pictures look good, and I quite like the long swords! Was the cas file difficult to edit? I haven't tried yet, and don't know how it is done.

moksha
11-12-2004, 22:03
Hi AA,
thanks yr comments mate-it takes about an hour to get used to 3dsmax so that you're fit to tinker (including installation and a couple of forum searches!) with the cas files-after that it's a doddle for simple changes. And that's all I can do!
The hard part's remembering what goes where in the game if you're introducing a new unit rather than editing an existing one.
That said it's very easy to botch so I used a test directory and kept backups.
I've only got the 30 day trial of 3dsmax (from the discreet.com website) but you do need this rather than the Gmax/free download as the freebie can't handle saving/exporting via a script.

I got all I needed in help from the forums on the following url-each thread has some useful info on using the script and 3dsmax, with a lot of questions answered by people who know. In fact worth reading through before starting.

http://www.stratcommandcenter.com/forums/index.php?showforum=35

and also the DukeJohn threads here:

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=37343
https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=37203

If you decide to mod and get stuck I can try to help on specifics if you like-no problem-but I am very new to this so may take a while/trial and error!

Next to start saving for the real 3dsmax!

vlad 1
11-13-2004, 00:05
wow :charge: i try create new hoplits with sword too for my update
but i think sword must be short -not long how in this screenshot

AmbrosiusAurelianus
11-13-2004, 21:43
Thanks for the advice! I'll have a look at those links when I get the chance, which isn't often at the moment. :book:

moksha
11-14-2004, 20:16
Vlad, go for it.
Couple of people have said sword looks better short or should be short to be more accurate.
For this first try I mainly wanted to get the units to behave like swordsmen.