PDA

View Full Version : Petition for the exposure of AI build routines

khelvan
11-05-2004, 06:00
Dear Creative Assembly,

To date, one of the most limiting factors in our attempts to mod the game is our inability to change the AI in any but the most elementary of ways (that is, changing the faction AI parameters). In order to make total conversions work properly, with strategic balance changes, we must be able to tweak the AI for it to function well and provide a challenge.

This is truly necessary if RTW is to live up to its billing as an incredibly "modable" game. While being able to play with graphics and animations is nice, we need more than the surface level that seems to be exposed if we want to build deeper, richer gaming experiences. Opening the AI to at least the level it was open in MTW is a wonderful start - the more we can change it, the better we can make our mods. If we can also tweak the battle AI, we will be in your debt.

Please consider this request, as currently the changes modders can make to the strategic and tactical aspects will have bad effects on the AI. Modifications will be limited to mostly cosmetics until we have this ability.

Sincerely,

-Brian Bilek

Jambo
11-05-2004, 11:29
absolutely!!

Mr Frost
11-06-2004, 14:21
Or , if not , then far more manipulator functions {I think of the existing ones for setting an AI behaviour like the controls of a vehicle : we have the extent of a basic cars' controls , when what we need are atleast a WWII fightplanes controls} .
For example {a few ideas}: A way to adjust propesity to build various types of unit for each faction .
Propensity to hire mercenaries {vital for an historically accurate Cathaginian A.I.} .
Likelyhood of disbanding units when under finacial strain {increase or decrease over what they have as standard , including possibly a bias to which types first : Romans would disband Mercanaries first , Cathage lowgrade regulars , Scythia/Sarmatia foot units etc} .
A more comprehensive set of Naval behaviour {not just propensity to build ships , but are they used more as coastal defense , agressive attacks/blocades , in concentrated battle fleets or lots of small "harrasment" flotillas etc .

If it would be problematic to do these as sliders or such then how about having them as coded behaviour that is sort of "added" to the standard behaviours and modifying them that we can pick and choose from {clearly , some behavioural modifyers are needed anyhow {shipspam , A.I. not hiring anywhere near enough mercs nor disbanding enough , let alone replacing obsolete units with improved ones particularly noticable for the Senate Post Marius} .

I've worded it badly , but if we can have far more control over how the A.I. behaves and makes choices it would be a quantum leap in our ability to mod this game , which in the long run would probably sell more copies and garner more desire to purchase the next game in the T.W. series .

I am confident you could figure out how : what you have already made is proof you people can code marvels .

khelvan
11-09-2004, 05:57
*BUMP*

AI is important to the future of modding the game.

TosaInu
11-10-2004, 13:48
I agree.

Myrddraal
11-10-2004, 14:14
If this is a petition, then I sign.

Myrddraal
Myrddraal

Aymar de Bois Mauri
11-10-2004, 20:19
Me too. Total support. This is extremelly important. In fact, fundamental to the modding community.

khelvan
11-14-2004, 22:32
I don't want this necessary information lost.

*BUMP*

Silver Rusher
11-14-2004, 22:38
Me signy.

EDIT IT TO SHOW ALL WHO HAVE SIGNED PLEASE

NicSO
11-17-2004, 01:03
AI sucks hard....It needs to be both patched and modded:)

tombom
11-17-2004, 21:30
Signed.

Even a basic paradox level would be nice.

chemchok
11-18-2004, 08:28
Petition signed...

:deal:

Jamison
11-18-2004, 11:20
Signed.

Puppyonastik
11-18-2004, 12:32
Signed. :barrel:

.Spartan
11-18-2004, 15:50