PDA

View Full Version : Unrealistic Forenames

Stefan the Berserker
11-05-2004, 18:22
RTW uses modern german Forenames, by logic modern german forenames arn't ancient german forenames. I edited a list of well suited, senseful and soundier forenames which can replace those new ones...

Germanic names are combinations of two words, for example Bald-win is composed of "Brave" and "Friend" makeing Baldwin "A brave Friend". Just to explain it initially.

The List:

Falko
Marbod
Landogar
Notker
Tankred
Uwo
Nordwin
Leonhard
Gaidemar
Rûmwin ("Rome-Friend" ~D )
Rûmward ("Defender of Rome" :laugh: )
Einar
Gotmar
Dagobert
Volkward
Frodo ("the happy Lord" - of the Rings ~D ~D )
Turimar ("Man popular in Troy" ~:) )
Ziumar
Alfgar
Armin
Dankward

About Rûmwin, Rûmward and Turimar: Pro-Roman Germans liked that names to show their likelyhood to Rome, that probaly the reason why they got lost with the time. But in the roman era they're quite well suited.

SaFe
11-06-2004, 11:29
Hi, Stefan, i was a few days out of town, but now i'm back and beginning to work again on the germanic unit description.
To your list of surenames, i think we can als add Sesithar(us) and Ingiomer(us) for the cherusci.
The suebi names sound rather familiar for our ears today: as example - Ditwolf or Markwart(probably alemanni, but suebian heritage).
B.t.w. some historicans think the real name of Arminius was Erminamarez.
We should also get rid of the axe symbol for the faction.
For example the cherusci got their tribal name from the deer, the deer-people.

King Yngvar
11-07-2004, 19:34
I see the biggest problem with Germanic names is the latinization of them. May names end on the latin "us", totally un-german if you ask me.