PDA

View Full Version : -show_err

Meneldil
11-05-2004, 23:36
Well, I might sound silly, but I've found myself unable to run the -show_err command line.

My first problem is that I have no idea what a command line is, so I tried to type "C:\Mod\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe -show_err", and "C:\Mod\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe-show_err" somewhere in my windows explorer, but I get an error message.

I was like "Hum, what the hell am I supposed to do now ?", so I decided to use the "run" fonction for windows (don't know if run is the correct english word, I'm using french windows XP), and copy/pasted C:\Mod\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe-show_err both with and without ", but then again, I got the same error message.

Could anyone explain me precisly what I have to do to use this command line ? I'm trying to add regions to the campaign map, and I think it will be quite hard without that.

Enrique Orduno
11-05-2004, 23:50
Use it like this

"C:\Program Files\Activision\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" show_err

No need for the little "-"...if you want a list of commands, just check here (http://area42.wildfiregames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=135) .

Meneldil
11-06-2004, 08:44
Well, I can now launch the game with the show_err command line, thanks to your help, but I don't see any message explaining me what's the error.

If I start to launch a campaign, the game will CTD. Period. Nothing else ~:confused:

Duke John
11-06-2004, 09:19
If you get a CTD then you will never get a error message since the game suddenly crashed without having the time to properly think about what when wrong. You will get error messages when you get "soft" errors. CA put alot of code into it testing a whole lot of things during running and if it doesn't work (ie can't find files/entries) then it will not continue. If such things happen, exit R:TW and you will find an error message.

R:TW is in that sense far superior to M:TW, since I got some error messages about some extremely minor things.

Meneldil
11-06-2004, 12:24
Well, I tried to add a new province called Britanny.
I edited these files
/data/world/maps/base/map_regions.tga
/data/world/maps/base/descr_regions.txt
/data/world/maps/campaign/YOURCAMPAIGNNAMEGOESHERE/descr_strat.txt
/data/text/YOURCAMPAIGNNAMEGOESHERE_regions_and_settlement_names.txt

I launch the game, start a new campaign, but it doesn't load and come back to the menu.
I think 'Okay, I'm going to see what's the problem', I leave the game, I get the error message (typo in the descr_regions.txt, the province was called BritannY instead of Britanny). I correct the error, launch the game again, start a new campaign and it does CTD ~:eek:

I check all the files I edited, and I noticed that while there was a new map.rwm file, I couldn't find any mapheight.hgt
I think that might be the problem, I'll try to solve it.

edit : Okay, I found what was going on. You have to delete the previous map.rwm file after correcting the script error.

Thank for your help guys :-)

Jakel12
08-13-2009, 14:32
I've got kind of the same problem: I have used show_err perfectly for about a year now but suddenly it has stopped showing error messages, I'm sure I'm using it in the right syntax
"C:\Program Files\The Creative Assembly\Rome - Total War\RomeTW.exe" -enable_editor -show_err
as it has worked p until this point.
I'm sure it is not working as in the vanilla campaign I added a misspelt region and no error message when it ktm as it had previously.
I try reinstalling but still nothing- anyone got any suggestions????