PDA

View Full Version : forgive my ignorance........

JR-
11-06-2004, 12:18
but what *is* this mod about?

i kind of get the impression that it is the Org's version of Rome: Total Realism as is being developed over at the TWcentre, am i anywhere near correct?

are you using the same resources, i.e. shoulder armour for romans, improved Sparat models etc?

cheers

Ranika
11-06-2004, 23:24
The mod grew, originally, from distaste with CA's approach to barbarian units. The initial concept was to correct the terrible inaccuracies with them. To R:TR, I believe we'll have significantly more realistic barbarians (such as not giving 90% of them the 'horde' formation, as that's just not how it worked, the barbarian horde is a Roman myth used to denegrate them). As ideas progressed, before it even became a mod, I believe, ideas came in that dealt with the status of the Egyptians, and glaring inaccuracies with other factions came after that. Anyway, the idea isn't just some tweaks and redoing some graphics and the map, the high end concept seems to be to redo all of the factions to a truly realistic form, using actual historical units, and redoing them so they mimic better the real life properties of these units, such as having professional soldiers in barbarian armies, rather than just collections of warriors. Despite common beliefs, the Gauls and Iberians especially, but all barbarian people, did tend to have professional fighting forces that operated not unlike the Roman military. The Romans themselves copied numerous military innovations from many of these people, like the Tetsudo formation (used by Gauls), and their later gladius (used by the Iberians).

JR-
11-07-2004, 02:44
good stuff, thanks.

kalkwerk
06-02-2007, 11:30
read the faq lol

Foot
06-02-2007, 11:38
read the faq lol

Kalkwerk, you crazy necromancer, why are you raising threads from the dead? Play some EB instead :yes: This thread is so old its starting to decay. Here, look, this bit is coming off. Disgusting.

Foot

kalkwerk
06-02-2007, 11:50
Okay I promise to post no more in this thread before havin completed my roman campaign.

Dumbass
06-02-2007, 12:04
Why would you go and did up really old threads found on pages 1 billion, just to answer a solved question? It baffles me!

Spendios
06-02-2007, 20:05
Why would you go and did up really old threads found on pages 1 billion, just to answer a solved question? It baffles me!

And why would you answer it helps keeping this thread alive !

DAMN I've answered, I will be cursed too :vampire:

Sakkura
06-02-2007, 21:14
This thread is from 2004 and still nobody has actually forgiven the poor chap for his ignorance... :inquisitive:

mAIOR
06-02-2007, 22:54
EB fans are harsh mistresses...

Cheers...

Dumbass
06-02-2007, 23:06
This thread is from 2004 and still nobody has actually forgiven the poor chap for his ignorance... :inquisitive:

So that may be why Kalkwerk ressurected it, so someone would realise this poor chap hasn't been forgiven, and thus one of us would forgive him. Now who will forgive him.... Hmm...

Philippus Flavius Homovallumus
06-02-2007, 23:34
Or you'll finally find the match to light the faggots set up under him three years ago.

Stuff like this happens, usually when you accidentaly reset your date wrong.

JR-
12-20-2007, 16:06
i will happily take some forgiveness if its being offered around..........................?

Pharnakes
12-20-2007, 16:16
Necromancy!!!!

Spam!!!!

EDIT: As one spammer to another, have a :balloon3:

Danest
12-20-2007, 16:25
Speaking of the testudo being stolen, does EB have any non-Roman units as of now that can perform the maneuver? It seems like such a maneuver would be almost obvious in the face of heavy missile fire, but I suppose it requires a lot of trainign to get it right.

russia almighty
12-20-2007, 19:00
I personally gave it to the Neito's .

Hax
12-20-2007, 20:09
Speaking of the testudo being stolen, does EB have any non-Roman units as of now that can perform the maneuver? It seems like such a maneuver would be almost obvious in the face of heavy missile fire, but I suppose it requires a lot of trainign to get it right.

I heard the Bartixioi Megaclasmai could form a testudo.

NeoSpartan
12-20-2007, 21:26

yeah really fellas... What other faction/unit used this formation???????:help:

Palasta
12-20-2007, 22:15
Did anyone grant him forgivness already? Poor fellow is still waiting. Or do you want him waiting another 3 1/2 years?

bovi
12-20-2007, 23:37
I would assume he has no more ignorance to forgive. Either that, or he's had an unforgivable lack of interest since his initial ignorance :clown:.

Hooahguy
12-20-2007, 23:44
this is pretty pointless. we should forgive him and lock this.... :dancinglock:

Moosemanmoo
12-21-2007, 00:49
who else thinks this is kinda cute?

Tellos Athenaios
12-21-2007, 02:35
Not me. Cute will apply to Grivpanvar before this....

Pharnakes
12-21-2007, 10:10
Acording to some sources it already does...:sweatdrop:

marodeur
12-21-2007, 12:45
AFAIK the Testudo-tactic was developed by G. I. Caesar. I don't know whether there was someone who used it before. Surely people will have hold their shields over their heads while storming a wall, but I don't think that there was something this organized before. Anybody knows anything more? If there were some predecessors, it would be cool to integrate them in the game and - if possible - make the adaption of this tactic by the romans a trigger like the cataphract reforms at Seleukidia: you have to encounter someone fighting like this, only then you can develop it. :feedback:

By the way: using this thread is indeed a little bit like graverobbing... .:skull:

Palasta
12-21-2007, 14:42
AFAIK the Testudo-tactic was developed by G. I. Caesar. I don't know whether there was someone who used it before. Surely people will have hold their shields over their heads while storming a wall, but I don't think that there was something this organized before. Anybody knows anything more? If there were some predecessors, it would be cool to integrate them in the game and - if possible - make the adaption of this tactic by the romans a trigger like the cataphract reforms at Seleukidia: you have to encounter someone fighting like this, only then you can develop it. :feedback:

By the way: using this thread is indeed a little bit like graverobbing... .:skull:

Actually i don't know more, but according to what i have read about the testudo formation, in the way the romans performed it, was only possible with the roman scutum.

keravnos
12-21-2007, 14:57
but what *is* this mod about?

i kind of get the impression that it is the Org's version of Rome: Total Realism as is being developed over at the TWcentre, am i anywhere near correct?

are you using the same resources, i.e. shoulder armour for romans, improved Sparat models etc?

cheers

i will happily take some forgiveness if its being offered around..........................?

You are forgiven, if only because the original EB member who answered you is Ranika.

Btw, do you like EB?