PDA

View Full Version : Gaul and Julii populations-a mod question

Jagger
11-06-2004, 15:48
Has anyone looked at starting populations?

I checked out Gaul, Brits, Germans and Julii.

Gauls start with 11,977.
Brits with 6220
Germans with 6000
Dacians with 8000
Spain with 6700
Julii with 7500.

Do those numbers look reasonably right historically. I was very surprised by the proportions of the differing populations.

I have been modding a scenario specifically for Julii play using the RW realism mod. I was considering upping the Gaul populations to make it tougher on the Julii. Especially if you consider the Julii immediately seize the first two northern cities, the population shift gives the Julii a significant advantage in population in the very opening stages of the game. Taking the two northern Italian cities gives a shift of 5000 pop to the Julii. So then we have 12,500 Julii vs 7000 Gauls. Of course, the Gauls take Massilia and Lugdunum immediately as well but they only add about 2400 pop. So now we have 12,500 Julii vs 9400 Gaul.

In the Julii mod, I was considering increasing the total Gaul populations by around 6500 in all the provinces outside of the 2 northern Italian provinces. By doing this, after the initial shifting of populations by conquest, the pop ratio would be about 12,500 Julii vs 16,000 Gaul.

However I also need to look at the Brits, Germans, Dacians and Iberians to ensure increasing the Gaul population doesn't upset the balance between the various barbarians. I may also have to adjust the pop triggers for settlement triggers for the barbarians to compensate for the increased pop levels.

Are there any vague numbers on populations from that era of the Barbarians? Were the barbarians lands relatively unpopulated vs the Romans? Is the game reasonably reflecting total population proportions between the various factions?

Even on very hard and using the RT realism mod, I still find the Gauls a walkover as the Julii.

Any thoughts out there?

PS; The Gauls with a starting pop of 11,977 are often fighting spain, brits, Julii and Germans shortly after the start with a total pop around 26-27,000. After losing the two northern pops and gaining the two rebel towns, then it is around 9400 gaul to 32000 attacking populations. No wonder they don't last. I want to give them a bit more staying power in a Julii mod.

Saracen
11-07-2004, 07:32
I increased what I think of as the 6 "barbarian" or northern factions (Spain, Gaul, Briton, German, Dacia and Scythia) population in all of their cities by 50%. I also increased their land values by 50% since trade isn't very strong for them. Now they put up some good sized armies and are able to gain some tier 2 and 3 buildings fairly fast to increase their quality. Even then I destroyed the Gauls and Germans but I had some very competitive battles, lots of losses on my side and even lost two battles when I had damn good armies. I was routed right off the battlefield. I loved it!!!!

Jagger
11-09-2004, 05:52
Mine has turned out pretty well also. The increases in population have kept the Gauls in the game. It is around 217BC and playing very well so far. The brits were kicked out early by the Gauls. But they have finally returned. The spanish kicked the Gauls out of Spain. I took the 2 northern italian Gaul cities and have moved along the coast to Narbo. However it is a struggle. Without forts, I wouldn"t have managed it. The Gauls still have lots of troops but they are running out of provinces slowly but surely. It has been a really challenging campaign so far.

PS: I also reduced maintainance cost of lower level barbarian troops such as spears and axes by about half. They are able to maintain larger armies with the lower costs.