PDA

View Full Version : Is starting a total modification worth it right now ?

Meneldil
11-06-2004, 19:32
I was thinking about starting a total modification for RTW, since I've learnt a few things like editing the campaign map, editing txt files, and some other basic things, and my question is "is starting a new modification worth it, or is it just a waste of time ?"

I read DJ's thread about how the game was not that moddable, and so far, I've encountered some problems with modding the game :

- I can't add new factions
- I have to use a Senate-like faction
- If I edit the map heights, the battle map for the edited square won't change (if I get rid of a forest, the battle will still take place in a forest)
- I can't edit the faction icons in the menu
- A couple of other things I don't remember of.

I don't know how MTW was moddable when it gets released. Did you have to wait for patches and VI to fully edit/mod the game ?

Duke John
11-06-2004, 22:21
Yes, we did need to wait for patches (release of missile stats) and VI (adding multiple campaigns) to gain more modding possibilities. R:TW still isn't as moddable as M:TW - VI. Sure there are new small things, but we cannot:
- add new factions
- add entirely seperate campaings ie seperate unit/building production files, designating special campaign folders
- add new animations (although Vercingetorix seems to be on a breakthrough.)
- change architecture of buildings in battles
- change the strategic castle pieces

My opinion is that you can start total conversions, but only if you accept (besides the horrendous amount of time put into it) that you have to make alot compromises.

Meneldil
11-06-2004, 23:44
I was aiming to make a "A song of Ice and Fire" RTW mod, but there are a few problems about that, the main one being "I suck at everything related to graphic".
I could have asked for some help in the mod developement forum, but right now, I don't feel like working on a "A song of Ice and Fire" if the game is limited in that way.

It's kinda annoying because we were said "RTW will be much more moddable than MTW" a billion of times. Either CA was lying or they will be releasing some tools or patches that will allows us to do a few more things than adding new units and provinces.