PDA

View Full Version : Sumo

Zen Blade
06-27-2001, 12:20
For those who haven't seen it yet,

for the past several years ESPN has been showing bashos on TV.

Personally, I think they are very cool, but I don't know too much about it. I know some basic rules... starting, winning, and such, but one thing that got to me was the hair style.

Supposedly the different ranks have different allowed hair styles, but I couldn't see any real difference. Anyone know??

Actually, if anyone is up-to-date on Sumo stuff, could you fill me in on who is good, up and coming and such.

I have seen enough bashos to recognize maybe half a dozen wrestlers now, but one that I didn't see in the most recent basho was... "akibono" it's something close to that. He's the big, big guy who (I think) was from Hawaii. He had a lot of leg problems I know.

hopefully, this will stir up some of you couch potatos!

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG
Clan Tenki Council-Unity

Toranaga sama
06-27-2001, 17:07
I'm in Japan right now, so I'll see what I can dig up... Akebono, or "Chad" hehehehe was Yokozuna a couple years ago. He's still quite famous, as I have seen him in 2 separate commercials since I've been here.

I'll let ya know.

Hawkeye
06-28-2001, 06:20
Well, I have been to three basho in my stay here in Japan and I really love it. As far as the hair styles are concerned there is a great difference. Although I imagine you only see the makiuchi division and they all have the same hairstyle. The lower divisions do not have as elaborate hairdos. Rikishi, sumo wrestlers, hair is about 45 centemetres in length and is arranged by a special hairstylist.

As for who is up and coming, well Akebono retired three or four months ago. The reigning yokuzuna (grand champion) is Takanohana, he has 22 basho under his belt and is an impressive rikishi, and is only 29 years old! Musashimaru, the samoan born yokozuna, or the moose, is quite impressive. Of the ozeki, champions, only Kaio, from Kyushu, stands out, although, chiyotaikai is good and when he is on his game so is miyabiyama. Who else, keep your eye on the young mongolian, asashoyu (morning soy sauce, although I am sure it is different meaning and kanji) in the last basho he defeated musashimaru and four ozeki!!! There are a few others that could be good, takanowaka is one of them. The new sekiwake, junior champions, are fairing well of late.

Hope that helps

Japan, a country of extremes.

Toranaga sama
06-28-2001, 07:35
*ahem*

Sou desu ne

Ronin
06-28-2001, 07:41
Yeah i really like to watch it whenever it´s on.
EuroSport broadcasts bashos pretty frequently during Winter.

------------------
"yama yama tani tani"- Oda Nobunaga.
on every montain and in every valley!

Zen Blade
06-28-2001, 11:43
Hawkeye,

I was watching the Rikishi (good) division b/c Musashimaru and Kaio and Takanohana were all present. But, I couldn't/didn't notice the differences in hairstlye. They all looked like they were just put together with a "fan" on top. Not exactly sure how to describe it.

I just was unsure as to how close to the actual spellings I could get.
: )

My personal favorite is Takanohana. He is very polite and not overly big.

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG
Clan Tenki Council-Unity

Hawkeye
06-28-2001, 11:50
Well all the guys in that division, from maegashira 14 through to yokozuna have the same hair style, it is in the shape of a ginko leaf. The lower divisions, which you don't see have less asthetically pleasing hair styles.

Hawkeye
07-21-2001, 17:28
Well the summer basho in Nagoya has been decided a day early. Ozeki Kaio has beaten Musashimaru and has won the yusho! He won a tourney, then became katoban, which means if he posted a losing record in this basho he would be demoted, then won the basho.. If he does extremely well in September in Tokyo he could become yokozuna!

jskirwin@yahoo.com
07-24-2001, 20:35
Bummer about Akebono, but glad to hear that there are some good young guys out there.

For you guys that are "in country" you might be interested to hear that Konishiki has been appearing in Visa commercials stateside. The narrator refers to him as the "famous Hawaiian sumo wrestler" which is interesting, considering he took Japanese citizenship about 10 years ago. Still the commercials are cute and it looks like he's really slimmed down - a good thing if he plans to live to old age.

------------------
The Buddha is a gyoza. If you find the Buddha, eat him.