PDA

View Full Version : King of Gaul

King Yngvar
11-08-2004, 05:09
I have seen the new trend in RTW on PBMs, to play 10 years each. It is totally ok, and you get a quick game so to say, but still it has not the same feel to it that the old PBMs of MTW where each player played a king's reign.
I know that the faction leaders can end up getting 100 years in RTW, but there is a solution to that. We can just set up more than one rule. Your turn is over when your king is dead, if your king does not die naturally within 25 years, do your best to make sure he dies as soon as possible (5 years max).

Concidering the first king has a tendency of dying within 5-10 years and his heir is usually 40 years old at the start of the game, I shall play them both. But if the first king lives for more than 15 years I will only play as him.

Settings:

Faction: Gaul
Difficulty: Hard/Hard
Manage settlements (without governor): Yes
Arcade battles: Off

I shall start as soon as I see there are some interrest in this...

Tamur
11-08-2004, 17:02
I'd love to sign on... it appears that the Scipii have died entirely and gone off to another sphere of existance. Also, I do like the idea of playing through a reign, for story continuity.

King Yngvar
11-10-2004, 00:18
Nice to hear, then I shall start. Will probably be done somewhen in the weekend, then I shall upload the file.

econ21
11-10-2004, 10:47
I'm interested - I can't commit definitely at this stage as playing a full reign is very time consuming, but I do ike the idea of playing a full reign for story/role-playing reasons. 10 years just does not feel the same. The Gauls are something of the underdog in RTW, so an alternate history with them coming on top sounds challenging and intriguing. I think it would be good if we write up characterful stories in a timely manner (ideally before the next player starts) - for me, that's half the fun of PBM.

King Yngvar
11-10-2004, 18:44
Alright then, I started playing yesterday, the year is 266. I shall continiue today...

King Yngvar
11-14-2004, 21:14
The story of King Brennus (note, army numbers are x'd by 10)

~Chapter 1~

Brennus inherited the throne of a small Gallic tribe somewhen in the 290's BC. His kingdom was unknown to most of the world, but the potential to growth was there. After uniting most of the tribes by 270 BC, it was time for the last part of Brennus reign. In 269 BC, King Brennus formed an alliance with King Arminius of Germania, an alliance that would last at least throughout his reign. After securing the north-eastern borders, it was time for King Brennus to set his greatest plan into action, that would have an effect on Gaul and the rest of the world for centuries. It was time to put Gaul on the map, by attacking Rome...

In the winter of 269 BC, King Brennus ordered his son Lugotorix to march on the Julii and put Arretium under siege. The following summer another son of Brennus, named Vindex, conquered the rebel province of Massilia. While the king himself defeated the last independent Gallic resistance in Lugdinensis. Gaul was united completely by the summer of 268 BC. That year, during the winter, Lugotorix and his army was attacked by two Roman generals, Quintus Julius and Lucius Julius. Over eight thousand Gauls faced around five thousand Romans. Still, Lugotorix saw that his own army has poorly equipped compared to the Romans. He decided to use some strategy and rushed the entire force to the nearest forest. The Romans followed into the forrest and some massive fighting continiued. Lugotorix used some hidden troops to attack the Roman flanks, while cavalry hidden nearby attacked their rear. The Romans were encircled and routed. Only one Roman soldier survived that day to tell the story. Over a thousand brave Gauls lay dead on the battlefield, but it was worth the sacrifice. In the first of many bloody battles to come with the Romans, Gaul was victorious!

267 BC had an eventfull summer. Vindex had finally arrived in Italy and lay siege to the Roman city of Segesta. The useless province of Celtiberia was abandoned. It was not worth to have, the troops was also needed on the Italian front. Rianorix started marching north. Everything of value was taken to Gaul and all Celts left Celtiberia. This summer also saw backstabbing from the northern Celts, the Britons. They attacked the unfortified city of Condate Redonum with 7,000 men. 5,000 men was left to defend it, half of them pesants and the other half warband units. It was impossible to even think of victory in this battle, but Gaul won the day thanks to bravery and dicipline.

Vindex captured Segesta the next summer, the Julii faction leader Flavius Julius was killed in the assault. All of Gaul rejoiced. One year later, Lugotorix put Arminium under siege. A poor decicion that would lead to the death of many brave Gauls. Simultaneously, his brother Belenus attacks the Briton king in the woodlands of Armorica. The Britons was surrounded by a twice as large army of Gauls. The Briton king and over 4,000 of his men died that day, 1,000 Gauls shared their faith. Only a handfew of Britons managed to escape.

The Romans have an insane and cowardly custom of bribing in war. The first experience Gaul had with this was when Patavium was bribed in 269 BC, winter. The city was taken back within a year and the population enslaved as punishment for letting themselves bribe. In the winter of 265 the misdeed was repeated, Narbonensis was bribed by the Roman Senate. Retaken by Rianorix the next year, but still, "bribing is a shameful thing that do not belong in war" - as King Brennus used to say.

I have not have much time to play lately, will do the last years and write a chapter two as soon as possible. Then I shall put the file up to download.