PDA

View Full Version : Belisarius Mod

Renown
11-09-2004, 06:56
I believe that a modification based upon the Belisarius Series by Drake, would make a very interesting Total War campaign.

Factions would make up ...

Roman Empire (ruled from Constantinople/Byzantium)
Persian Empire
Ethiopian Kingdom
Malwa Empire
- Protectorates of Malwa
Kush (or could rebel to form their own kindom if possible, and then would be part of the Empire)
plus many more.

Would span from probably as west as Greece to as east as modern day Thailand, from as far north as northern Thrace, to as far south as the southern most point in Ethiopia.

War would be mainly swords/cavalry/archers etc, for a long time, with Malwa gaining access to very crude gunpower units (mainly bulky (BULKY, cannons) but can produce mass quantities, rather cheaply. The Roman Empire would gain access to gunpower units several years later, and they would be of higher quality, but very expensive, and only replaceable in some core provinces in the Empire (Rhodes/Constintinople probably)

Makes for very interesting battles, and would be a fun mod.

Is there any interest? If so, I'll go dig up some of my books, and maybe even finish reading off the series.

Sinner
11-10-2004, 12:47
That would be a great idea! I'd definitely enjoy that one. ~:)

TheSilverKnight
11-15-2004, 00:01
What's this Belisarius series...? It sounds quite interesting if I do say so. Got a weblink for it? Or perhaps the titles of the series of books?

son of spam
11-15-2004, 01:02
^^ better, you can get the first two books free at baen free library (google it)

TheSilverKnight
11-15-2004, 03:15
What are the first two books called so I know what I'm looking for?

Renown
11-15-2004, 20:08
I believe the first one is An Oblique Approach, and the second one is In the Heart of Darkness, by Eric Flint and David Drake.

The series is an alternative history when two superbeings go back in time.

One is a supercomputer who is trying to use India as platform to turn the future of the galaxy into something with a strict and pure class system.

The other is a crystal who's very form comes from Chaos, it strives to prevent the supercomputer from making everything pure, because it would cease to exist.

Belisarius (a historical figure, and brilliant general) is enlisted in the campaign, and war breaks out between Rome and the Indian empire know as the Malwa Empire.

I'll leave everything else to you, to find out.

boranchistanger
12-04-2004, 16:57
There is a Dark Age smod in progress right now featuring two historical battles involving Bellisarius. Check it out at http://rtwbi.proboards29.com

Byzantine Prince
12-16-2004, 02:10
I don't get it. Why does it go as far as Thailand. Noone from Byzantium went there. This mod i gonna suck if it doesn't show Africa(the colony) and the Avars and other cavalry people.