PDA

View Full Version : What province size?

eadingas
11-09-2004, 16:54
Well, here's the question: what average size of provinces do you have in mind?
As it is now, we have it very extreme. There is Sicily, small island divided into three, and Rhodos - one might ask, if Rhodos is a separate province, why not Isle of Man, or Gotland? - and on the other hand we have Scythian and Arabian provinces - vast areas of empty land. Of course, the further from the med, the bigger and emptier provinces.
I can see there will be controversies on this subject. There is a temptation to put all the info we have on the map - so, Gallia, Britannia and parts of Germania will be divided into small provinces, because we know a lot about them. I don't think it's fair for the lands further away. Did you think of averaging the size of the provinces somehow?

Aymar de Bois Mauri
11-09-2004, 19:45
Well, here's the question: what average size of provinces do you have in mind?
As it is now, we have it very extreme. There is Sicily, small island divided into three, and Rhodos - one might ask, if Rhodos is a separate province, why not Isle of Man, or Gotland? - and on the other hand we have Scythian and Arabian provinces - vast areas of empty land. Of course, the further from the med, the bigger and emptier provinces.
I can see there will be controversies on this subject. There is a temptation to put all the info we have on the map - so, Gallia, Britannia and parts of Germania will be divided into small provinces, because we know a lot about them. I don't think it's fair for the lands further away. Did you think of averaging the size of the provinces somehow?
Nope. I think each province's size should be related to geographical informantion only. The subdividing should relate to faction possession or strategical importance for the period, like Sicily.