PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer Campaign (We make it up) Just read

Hotdawg179
11-10-2004, 03:01
Ok first off, this is not a complaint at all. I can understand why a multiplayer campaign is not figured into the game.

Also, I've seen a lot of people try to do this and not follow through. I have seen posts in other forums attempting to do this. I WILL do this, no matter how few people I can get to do it. I'll just have to find people.

Anyways, I saw it in another clan's forums.... They're making their very own multiplayer campaign. Your nation's movements, etc, would be figured out in the forums. Every battle would be figured out in the Multiplayer game. This would take a lot of thought, and a lot of time on everybody's part, but I'm up for it.

I don't know if that makes sense, so I'll ramble on to try to get you to understand. Let's say you chose your nation to be the.....britons? OK, well we could figure it out that you'd get one turn a day. Say it's saturday, and you sign on into the forums, and you could post that " I ask Germany for an alliance, and I send my one army into the gauls city of "Gaulia" etc etc. Then, A battle time would be set up for that day (If that day worked) and the battle would be fought on the ROME:TOTAL WAR multiplayer game between the gauls and the britons.

I think this would be a really fun idea, and I could make rules, post a map on a forum, keep track of all armies, etc. (I've had plenty of time on my hands lately) I will most definately get a site going for this if it actually starts going. I would have our own forums, etc.

If you're interested, post here or E-mail me at "Hotdawg179@yahoo.com" or AIM at hotdawg179

If enough people seem interested I'll work more on it and think of more ideas. (I already have some ideas)
romecampaign.proboards38.com/index.cgi
Site still needs a lot ( A LOT ) of work,, but come and get registered at least so we can get an idea of who is there.

Zharakov
11-10-2004, 03:51
Well comrade I am interested and willing to help in the organization if you need it.

Just to get this in I would request Armenia or Julii for factions eather one is fine but those are the ones I would like to do.

Comrades.

Dionysus9
11-10-2004, 18:16
I've seen so many of these ideas attempted and so many fizzled out that I hope you will forgive me for my naysaying-- but it ends up being a fulltime job to play and/or administer something like this.

In my experience its something you can do with a few close friends if they are all dedicated enough--but trying to do it on a community scale has never worked.

Nigel
11-10-2004, 21:09
Yes, many attempts of a MP campaign have fizzled out, but dont get disheartened. I do know of some that did take off and went through to the end.

Some things to remember, though.
Dion is right, these things can become tremendeously immersive and end up taking a lot of time if you are not careful. So the numer one rule is to really KEEP IT SIMPLE.

And that means in terms of rules, how you are going to calculate the outcome of moves, which unit types you allow in, and how many players you allow in. If you don't just have "dedicated friends", but want it to be open to people from the community, make sure that if one player dropps it does not stop the progress of the game. And you'll be amazed how long it can take to complete a turn. I would reckon that one turn per week is very fast going if you have 3 or 4 active players. It may also help to have a suitable victory condition, i.e. rather than fighting to the last province, it could be "most powerful faction after 6 month" or so.

That said, it can be a thrilling and exciting experience to run a MP campaign.
Just remember with whatever system you come up with. If it you think it is a massive simplification compared to the SP game, it is probably just manageble when it gets into full swing.

Hotdawg179
11-10-2004, 22:38
romecampaign.proboards38.com/index.cgi
(site still does need a lot of fine tuning, I've had a lot of homework lately so I can't work on it too much per day)
Thats the name of the site, go sign up if your interested so we can see how many people are interested.

I DO intend to make the rules very simple, and I realize it will take up a lot of time on the people's part. If a turn is like 5 days to a week though, I think it will end up taking less time.

I'd also like to thank you guys for not just saying "THATS NOT GONNA WORK" because every time i read responses I'm scared somebody's going to say that :). I have a lot of faith in this thing going to the end, and once I get a few people interested, we can figure out the rules, winning conditions etc.

I was also thinking we could have faction heirs for each faction, so if one quits, then there is always somebody to back him up. If in case they just quit, and we agree that they have quit. Than his cities/armies could just turn into rebels. Rebels would just stay where they are, and not do much.

Seriously, I don't want to pick all the rules, because then I know there would be disagreements, I want input from EVERYONE. Also, if you don't intend to be dedicated, than this probably isn't for you.

Keep your mind's thinking, and so far no factions are seriously reserved... If you want one than make a thread in the forums posted at th beginning of this post. Zharakov, if you want armenia or Julii, become a member at those forums and make a post saying that you want one of the factions.

I am thinking about tuning down the campaign to maybe only half of Europe, or something like that. Any thoughts?

I will probably be back here, but I may not come back to these forums, sign up and post anything you want to at... romecampaign.proboards38.com/index.cgi

Zharakov
11-11-2004, 02:56
Ok comrade. I will do that. Also as I said I am willing to help with organization in anny way shao or fourm. Also I have 2 friends who may be joining also.

Zharakov
11-11-2004, 03:02
Just when there... dosnt seem like TWcorp is going to let you keep it comrade. Make a new one, I'll still play.

mercian billman
11-11-2004, 04:14
Hi Hawtdog, and welcome to the org ~:)

May I suggest you limit the scope of the campaign? What I mean by this is maybe limit the map to Italy and set the time for the birth of Rome. The goal could simply be to conquer half the peninsula and control Rome.

My knowledge of the birth of rome is pretty vague, but I'm sure we could create a map of Italy (including Sicily and the Alps) and have a dozen or so factions each start with one or two provinces.

Starting with one or two provinces a piece would add some excitement to the game because each battle would determine the fate of your faction and would ensure a shorter campaign.

Dionysus9
11-11-2004, 08:01
If you start small, you can always expand later if you get more interest and once your rules are solidified. But if you start too big from the beginning, you cant scale down.

Hotdawg179
11-12-2004, 00:22
Thanks guys, I plan to make it rather small. And the TW corp is going to let me do it, that was just a friend messing with me :/. lol. I'm not sure how small it will start, but not too many people seem to show interest, at least yet. Does anybody else want to join besides my comrade Zharakov? :help: we need more people ~D

mercian billman
11-12-2004, 01:25
I've tried registiring to your site, but seem to have problems. I'm definately interested in joining though.

Hotdawg179
11-12-2004, 02:37
Hmm.. if you could tell me what the problem is maybe I can help you fix it. I don't know what the problem could be. If you do get to the site, don't immediately turn away. We are growing rapidly! We are working on the site in just about all of our free time!

I'm sorry for you not being able to register, and I hope you figure it out because I'd love to see you there! Try again tommorrow or something, I don't know how I can help you :/

One final note: This isn't going to be extremely complex, as I've said before. I saw one site that had all buildings, everything figured out. The rules are still very controversial between me and a few other people, so suggestions would be welcome.

Hotdawg179
11-12-2004, 02:40
I know for a fact that you get your password in an e-mail sent to the address you specified. You can change this password by going into "profile"
You have to get your password from the e-mail, otherwise I don't believe it will work.

If you still have problems post again, e-mail me at Hotdawg179@yahoo.com, or send me an IM at hotdawg179 at yahoo messanger, or AIM.

Hotdawg179
12-02-2004, 22:32
Ok guys, I have this entire thing figured out and all....

It's all planned out, although it's not perfect, we have six members!

http://www.draksen.net/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=17

Nigel
12-06-2004, 00:12
Looks good, Hotdawg179

If those 6 are sufficiently serious about this game, then you may already have enough players to get started. You can always allow new players to join later as someone's general and heir or have a new faction emerging.

Just some thoughts
Nigel

BlackStrider
12-24-2004, 00:35
Very interesting Idea, but what if people were to not be trustworthy and move units in a different manor. That would be a problem.

I hoep in the next Total War Game, Creative Assembly consider a Multiplayer Campaign Map. :charge:

orcorama
01-11-2005, 19:02
I'd like to join but I had a proplem registering to your site.
The confirmation e-mail came but the link in it didn't work and took me to some nonexisistent page of some "my site"
here is the link from the email:
http://MySite.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=profile&mode=activate&u=40&act_key=07d8a6

please help!

GoldenKnightX2
01-11-2005, 21:16
I can't help you with the sign up problem, but you can join I guess, I'll just redo the map

http://img33.exs.cx/img33/8882/gfg5ed.jpg

orcorama
01-12-2005, 01:12
I tried again and it worked so ill be on drakson now. thanks any way

Nigel
01-17-2005, 19:01
This seems to be taking shape nicely. :thumbsup:

Keep us posted.

Lonewarrior
01-18-2005, 01:21
I would gladly help, but I have to upgrade my PC first a bit, and I have connection problems in mp.

GoldenKnightX2
01-23-2005, 09:04
go post on forum, see what everyone else says

Stefan the Berserker
01-25-2005, 00:42
Well, I had similar Idea to convert the Board-Game "Diplomacy" for an Online Campaign as it is oftenly played online also at Forums. Original Diplomcay is set in World War one, but can be converted to what ever.

Rules:

http://www.spencersoft.com/diplomacy/diplomacy%20rules.doc

Shortly its all about to control the Econommy-Centers, which provide one Army or Navy.

The only diffrence to the original Game was in the Order Resolution Phase, which would then be Battles. Naval Battles stay as they are, 2-1 Victory...

The Battles could be resolved by usually the Defender saves a Review-File and transmitts it to the Gameleader, so it can be checked up. After all Battles are solved, there should be in all turns the Gaining and Loose Phase done by the Gameleader/Moderator which then actualises the Map-Info and informs the players about their current might.

An fitting Map is also here:

http://www.diplom.org/Online/maps/riserome2.gif

Hotdawg179
02-22-2005, 21:48
Hey guys--- Sorry I haven't posted here in so long..

My password got kinda messed up (my fault.) But I have fixed it.

Well, I'm just letting people know.. We have started the campaign! :) All seems to be workign so far and its a lot of fun (even though we're only on turn one... lol)

If you'd like to join, you can probably be fit in, or you can just help another faction leader out (fight battles.. etc)

www.draksen.com Check out the forums, then go to rtw mp campaign :D

Hotdawg179
02-22-2005, 21:49
SORRY SORRY...

Draksen.net .NET

Don't know hwo to edit messages here :P