PDA

View Full Version : Limit to total number of units in export_unit

Jagger
11-10-2004, 03:38
Ok, I am embarrassed. Someone posted today about this very same problem. And I said it was Ok because I just did the same thing without a problem. Well no, I actually have the same problem.

Today I added in two new units while in the middle of a campaign. Now I discover that mercenary units are showing up in odd locations-such as Numidian spearmen in Italy.

I am assuming that there is a total limit to the number of units that can be included in the export_unit file. Apparantly I exceeded that number when I added the two new units.

Or I shouldn't have created the two new units and added them in during the middle of the campaign.

Any ideas on solutions?

I think I will have to deduct two units either from the unit export file. Or find the mercenary file and deduct two from there.

Any better ideas out there?

Jagger
11-10-2004, 04:07
I just checked the total number of units in the export_descr_unit file. I had 289 and I now have 291. So, I doubt if the problem has to do with total number of units because 289 sounds like a very odd number for a limit.

I tried reinstalling the unit replaced. I had created a spanish spearmen and a spanish spear auxilia using the same TGA as the Spanish town militia. But I removed the town militia from the Spanish at the same time by removing Spain from ownership. So perhaps that was the problem. I gave the town militia ownership back to Spain. But it didn't solve the problem.

It is kind of a strange result. For example, Roman peasants are now available as Mercenaries in North Africa at a price of 750 denari. First Roman peasants are not mercenaries. Second the price of a peasant is way out of line. In addition, the peasant unit card is now the generic peasant gray card. Also I noticed Numidian spearmen for 4000 denari in Northern Italy. 4000 dinari is the price of merc elephants. I can now buy Trieme ships as mercs in North Africa as well. So units that are not mercenaries are showing up in strange locations with costs that don't match the unit.

Somewhere files are no longer matching.

But non-merc units appear to be perfectly fine.

It is really weird. Any ideas?

Jagger
11-10-2004, 04:55
The problem is not related to numbers of units. I started up a new campaign. Mercs are in the right places with right prices and unit cards.

Apparantly the problem lies with introducing new units into an existing campaign. It looks like I will need to start a new campaign.

Anybody know what "unlocalized placement text" means? My Spanish spearmen unit card displays "unlocalized placement text". Everything is there but the title of the unit and the unit description. I have doublechecked and doublechecked but can't find a problem. Any ideas???????

Jagger
11-10-2004, 06:38
Ummmmm....I noticed that I used capitalized the first letter in the dictionary description of export_descr_unit---like this Spanish_Spearmen. I uncapitalized the first letter of each word.

Everything works!!!! Including the mercenaries in the campaign campaign.

That is such a strange impact from two letters capitalized. Perhaps that was the cause.....

tommh
11-11-2004, 03:09
The "Unlocalized text" simply means that it couldn't find text corresponding to that id. Localization is the term used when you create a different language version. The message is there to help the localizers find lines they missed.

Ids on computers are often case sensitive. In other words, Helot is a different id then helot or HELOT.

As to a unit limit, I'm pretty sure there isn't one or at least no one has reached it.

Jagger
11-11-2004, 06:50
Thanks Tommh!

Duke John
11-11-2004, 06:58
I believe that some CA Dev said that the limit was 300.

As to your mercenaries appearing at weird places. This is because the game remembers the list of units and orders them as they appear in the text file, giving them a number in a sense. When you put a new unit inbetween during a campaign it still has that list of numbers, but now the numbers no longer correspond with the units. If you put the units in the top of the list all units would go down 2 numbers.

The easiest way to see this happening is by saving a setup for a custom battle. Then add 1 unit at the top of the list and reload the saved setup. You will then notice that the units you had previously selected is now replaced by the next in line.

So if you want to add units during a campaign, then you might try adding them at the very bottom of the list.