PDA

View Full Version : Ran the DVD version

TheWay
05-12-2001, 20:47
I just purchased RAN on DVD. Are my eyes failing already or did they tone down the colors! Although the scenes look more natural (a version I saw had skies the color of Nippon paint and grass so green it should posion the horses cropping on it) but now everything just looks normal. Having always understood that Kurosawa's movies depend a lot on color I was surprised at this release. Is this a bid at a more realistic show? What happened to the messenger Saburo (the 3rd son)'s general sent to warn him about the gunners setting up an ambush? Is Saburo a moron after all? Why didnt Fujimaki go and attack Ayabe immediately? I miss bright colors like the ponies, teddy bears and flowers painted on my bedroom wall and clothes.

Ronin
05-13-2001, 06:50
It´s out on DVD?!?!!?!
*Ronin runs out of the house to buy it*

------------------
"yama yama tani tani"- Oda Nobunaga.
on every montain and in every valley!

High Voltage
05-13-2001, 10:38
I've never heard of this movie, what is it about?

Kurando
05-13-2001, 11:00
RAN (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0089881)

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/6305041156.01.MZZZZZZZ.gif

Koga No Goshi
06-15-2001, 09:38
Am I mistaken or is Ran the movie that is a Japanese adaptation of Shakespeare's King Lear?

------------------
Goshi of Koga

evilc
06-16-2001, 02:56
i'd just like to say that i hate shakephere after going through GCSE's.

Zen Blade
06-19-2001, 11:57
Just thought I would let you all know that many japanese movies have been making the crossover to DVD as of late.

I have seen a number of them in the electronic/pop culture stores.

I was particularly surprised to see them in Sam Goody (they didn't have a huge selection, but Ran and 7 samurai were there).

DVD truly is an amazing bit of technology. So much info on such a small disc!

-Zen Blade

------------------
Zen Blade Asai
Red Devil
Last of the RSG
Clan Tenki Council-Unity

Nagasaki Nap
08-06-2001, 20:48
Koga,

Yes, RAN is a "Sengoku Japan" fictional retelling of Shakespeare's King Lear, though it is truly magnificent. I just rented it again last night and can't get enough of it.

Nap

Minamoto Yoritomo
08-07-2001, 00:28
I'll have to check that out, for the last time I saw it I also remember the colors being extremely sharp. 'Twould indeed be a shame if they toned them down.

ishikawa2
08-07-2001, 03:23
as confirmed above, RAN is indeed a retelling of King Lear. It's a REALLY great movie and it's actually one of the first couple of DVDs I bought.

TheWay -- I didn't notice any dilution of color on my DVD... but I assume that your TV has color controls... go for it.

I have yet to see it, but Kurasawa's "Throne of Blood" is also "Samurai Shakespeare" ... it's actually Macbeth.

Devil_Hanzo
08-07-2001, 19:15
We're talking about the Fox-Lorber DVD here, right? How's the quality of that DVD? I've heard that Fox-Lorber's releases aren't always very good...

Any chance that Criterion will be releasing it sometime in the future, or is Fox-Lorber keeping the license?

ishikawa2
08-08-2001, 22:34
Yes, my copy is the Fox-Lorber version. I did not feel color-deprived, but I may have the TV controls set differently from others. I still think my jesting comment above about using the TV controls has (at least some) real merit.